Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1.    #1  
    So I'm usually not one to be controversial or start a thread like this, but some of the posts on this forums have gotten pretty... lame IMO. Most of all, I don't understand posters who argue that Palm is going to fail for whatever reason, such as a lack of Apps. Like seriously people? Are these arguments truly well thought out? Complain what you want about the Pre itself, but thinking Palm is going down because of lack of apps or some of the other arguments that have been presented here is quite silly, I think.

    First of all there's the point everyone brings up about apple taking a year to have(official) apps. The most common counter-argument to this is that Palm can't afford to wait. But I really just think that's a matter of impatience. I mean, "Oh no, we're over a month and half since the Pre's release, and we only have 30 Apps! The Horror!". The point is, the apps will come. I'll admit I'm no sure of the app approval process, but the Pre is one of the best selling phones right now, and developers are clearly eager to get onboard. Just imagine when anyone is allowed to publish apps!

    The way I see it Palm is handling things well. WebOS is sill a baby OS, its more important to focus on getting that improved before working extensively on applications. Plus they likely want to make sure that when the apps do come, the app store and everything works well. The thing is, its much easier to have people wait for apps than to have to rebuild the reputation of bad apps or a nonfunctional store.

    Plus Palm is not failing now. They're way better off than they were a year ago, and despite the lack of apps, the Pre is still selling very well.

    And then there are other things people seem to forget. Palm is not Apple. Palm is not trying to be Apple, or RIM, or Microsoft. Meaning, Palm doesn't have to follow their model, and they won't. It seems to fly past some peoples mind that unlike Apple, Palm isn't remaining exclusive with one company forever, only until the end of the year. Palm may be moving a certain amount on Sprint, but imagine being on all 4 major Carriers? Which reminds me, when WebOS moves to verizon or AT&T by the end of the year, the App catalog will be open to everyone. So when the Pre and WebOS will be most accessible to everyone, the App problem will probably be a problem of the past.

    Also, there will be more than one model of phone running WebOS, unlike the iPhone. Consumers will actually have choice! =O (no, the iPhone 3G or 3GS doesn't count :P).

    Finally, despite the complaints of many, Palm actually has truly been listening to the community. You just can't expect them to update you with every feature immediately. Like, I'd rather them actually think about how to implement true Copy and Paste in an efficient manner than them just throwing it on just to have it. It's only been a month and half folks, and we are just a tenth of a version number up. Imagine what a full version number increase would bring? If you'd hung around the hacking community from the beginning you'd see that palm has been listening to us a lot.

    The way I see it, Palm's prospects are only bright for the future.

    P.S.
    My apologies for this not being very well structures, I kind of wrote it in a hurry.
  2. tricex2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #2  
    Palm is not trying to be Apple
    /sarcasm on

    Only when connecting to Itunes

    /sarcasm off
    One can find consistency even in inconsistency.
  3.    #3  
    Gahaha, Touche ^_^
  4. #4  
    We don't even have solitaire for goodness sakes. or a decent calculator. and 12 ring tones? parts of this phone are pathetic and apps to fill in the blanks really needs to happen, the phone comes off half-baked.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by napilopez View Post
    and developers are clearly eager to get onboard.
    Pure speculation. Palm stated weeks ago they were adding "Thousands" of "Waiting" developers....and recently released the SDK publicly...have you seen any new apps other than the new NFL app (great app!). We have had 4 updates since its release and none have addressed the basic missing features such as calendar / music / photo / ringtone management to name a few. We now have more homebrew apps than the apps catalog....and i really dont think we have "Thousands" of homebrew developers. My point is this, if the few homebrew developers can add these basic features within days, what is palms problem? I will also Remind you that some of these homebrew apps were designed and coded outside SDK!

    Palm will not fail, i agree. There will always be fans of the pre just like the iphone. But i also believe they have lost many potential sales due to hardware issues and some basic features missing. The competition is not sleeping and there are some great looking PDAs coming out. I personally will jump off this band wagon if these are not corrected before these other phones hit the market, and i dont think im alone. I need a PDA that has basic working features, i dont need promises or rumors. And if i do leave because of the things i have mentioned. then in my personal opinion Palm has failed.
  6. dog44's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have to add that iphone didn't get an app store for over a year after it came out
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dog44 View Post
    I have to add that iphone didn't get an app store for over a year after it came out
    yea, and power steering and brakes didnt come out until after the automobile!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dog44 View Post
    I have to add that iphone didn't get an app store for over a year after it came out
    Or another way to think of it is Apple was the first phone to have a dedicated App Store - it was a game changer that caught everyone flat-footed, and one year later, Palm is still flat-footed.
  9. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #9  
    webOS itself will likely not fail. But the question is still open on Palm and the Pre itself.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  10. rishio's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #10  
    Well said and totally agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by napilopez View Post
    So I'm usually not one to be controversial or start a thread like this, but some of the posts on this forums have gotten pretty... lame IMO. Most of all, I don't understand posters who argue that Palm is going to fail for whatever reason, such as a lack of Apps. Like seriously people? Are these arguments truly well thought out? Complain what you want about the Pre itself, but thinking Palm is going down because of lack of apps or some of the other arguments that have been presented here is quite silly, I think.

    First of all there's the point everyone brings up about apple taking a year to have(official) apps. The most common counter-argument to this is that Palm can't afford to wait. But I really just think that's a matter of impatience. I mean, "Oh no, we're over a month and half since the Pre's release, and we only have 30 Apps! The Horror!". The point is, the apps will come. I'll admit I'm no sure of the app approval process, but the Pre is one of the best selling phones right now, and developers are clearly eager to get onboard. Just imagine when anyone is allowed to publish apps!

    The way I see it Palm is handling things well. WebOS is sill a baby OS, its more important to focus on getting that improved before working extensively on applications. Plus they likely want to make sure that when the apps do come, the app store and everything works well. The thing is, its much easier to have people wait for apps than to have to rebuild the reputation of bad apps or a nonfunctional store.

    Plus Palm is not failing now. They're way better off than they were a year ago, and despite the lack of apps, the Pre is still selling very well.

    And then there are other things people seem to forget. Palm is not Apple. Palm is not trying to be Apple, or RIM, or Microsoft. Meaning, Palm doesn't have to follow their model, and they won't. It seems to fly past some peoples mind that unlike Apple, Palm isn't remaining exclusive with one company forever, only until the end of the year. Palm may be moving a certain amount on Sprint, but imagine being on all 4 major Carriers? Which reminds me, when WebOS moves to verizon or AT&T by the end of the year, the App catalog will be open to everyone. So when the Pre and WebOS will be most accessible to everyone, the App problem will probably be a problem of the past.

    Also, there will be more than one model of phone running WebOS, unlike the iPhone. Consumers will actually have choice! =O (no, the iPhone 3G or 3GS doesn't count :P).

    Finally, despite the complaints of many, Palm actually has truly been listening to the community. You just can't expect them to update you with every feature immediately. Like, I'd rather them actually think about how to implement true Copy and Paste in an efficient manner than them just throwing it on just to have it. It's only been a month and half folks, and we are just a tenth of a version number up. Imagine what a full version number increase would bring? If you'd hung around the hacking community from the beginning you'd see that palm has been listening to us a lot.

    The way I see it, Palm's prospects are only bright for the future.

    P.S.
    My apologies for this not being very well structures, I kind of wrote it in a hurry.
  11. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #11  
    You're speaking from your own point of view. Whether or not you agree, the general consumer looks at 60,000 apps for the iPhone and 30 for the Pre. If they dig into it, they might discover that webOS apps will be significantly more limited than iPhone apps (as long as the Mojo SDK is based around web app technologies). If either of those factors are important to that consumer, I think the direction is clear.

    People keep comparing Palm to Apple circa 2007. That is a poor comparison -- we're in 2009 now. Apple has had a real SDK for 1.5 years and the app store for 1 year. Palm has had 2+ years to watch the iPhone and develop a solid plan to compete. Instead they came out of the gate at least a year behind where they should be. This is par for the course, as you might remember the previous CEO of Palm laughing off the iPhone like it was going to be a failure. I think the same misguided long term thinking is part of the reason Palm is in the situation they're in now.

    If there is a saving grace, it's that webOS apps will be trivial to develop, which means the app market could potentially flourish much more quickly than the iPhone's did. There are pluses and minuses to that, however. If you think all the cheesy iPhone apps are bad, imagine if the iPhone SDK had an even lower entry point for developers. I think that automatically skews us down the food chain a bit, since everybody and their brother will be capable of making webOS apps -- it won't require as much expertise as it does on the iPhone. Let's hope Palm filters out the crap.
  12. #12  
    To assume the Pre will have a large supply of HIGH QUALITY apps is speculation. Developers will support the Pre if, and only if, they view it as a sufficiently large market. The iPhone attracts developers because they know there are many millions of potential buyers for their software. If the Pre sells poorly, developers won't rush to it.

    It's premature to reach any conclusions on the eventual success of the Pre or WebOS.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    We don't even have solitaire for goodness sakes. or a decent calculator. and 12 ring tones? parts of this phone are pathetic and apps to fill in the blanks really needs to happen, the phone comes off half-baked.
    You're right - there is no Solitaire. But then again, Blackberries don't come with solitaire, WinMo phones don't come with solitaire. Do any phones come pre-loaded with solitaire? Seriously. THIS is one of your top three problems??

    Calculator - The calculator that comes with the Pre is better than many of the other phones out there. If it doesn't do exactly what you need, just have patience.

    Ringtones - umm .... you can add as many custom ringtones as you want. I don't know many phones (besides Blackberries) that come with a lot of basic ringtones. Again, is the number of default ringtones really a determining factor for you?
  14. #14  
    Regardless of what you believe, Palm is on the very edge of bankruptcy. WebOS is nice but even fans of it admit that it needs a lot of work to really be competitive. Palm also faces more competition than just apple and the iphone. Palm also doesn't have a year to fiddle with webos to make ir right. If sales don't pick up substantially and soon palm will be in bankruptcy.

    You can't count on AT&3 sales to be huge they have a lot of good phones already and even more coming. The kaizer, hero, iphone, and several winmobile 6.5 with touch flow. Pixie is a cheap POS with a tiny screen and tiny storage for the same price as a 3g iphone. Lots of tough competition.

    Europe is equally as tough and the phone is releasing 5 or 6 months after the US which means palm has to sell a ton.

    Remember the number floating around was 5-6 million units. Sprint will have a hard time floating 1 million as their sales numbers are already disappointing and likely to slow now that the launch excitment is over. So that means Palm has around 6 months or a little more to sell around 5 million handsets.

    By any stretch of the imigination that will be difficult at best. Palm's survival is by no means certain and they aren't doing themselves any favors with all the bone headed decisions over the past few months and even years.

    Their biggest blunder has yet to really come. The SDK is inadequate. Whose idea was it to pack a phone full of hardware and then lock the developers out of it? Sure root access is there but homebrew will NEVER replace or even come close to replacing the app store because your average consumer isn't going to mess with it.

    Developers will not flock to an impotent market and device that is so limiting. That is a big reason why we haven't seen many apps and the ones we do have pretty much suck. Palm has limited their capabilities and options so much why waste your time building a glorified web page?

    Until palm opens up the api the third party support will wane. Homebrew will not be enough.
  15. eddieck's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    We don't even have solitaire for goodness sakes. or a decent calculator. and 12 ring tones?
    The iPhone doesn't include solitaire either. And for the first year it was out, there were no 3rd-party native apps - no native solitaire. And the calculator sucked the same. (You've got a point with the ringtones, however.)

    FYI, the Pre uses WebKit for HTML rendering, just like the iPhone. Therefore, many iPhone Web apps will work on the Pre. You could try to find a solitaire Web app - there are some - and see if it'll work on the Pre.
  16. Clipse's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #16  
    For being out only a month and a half, I'm very impressed with the pre and especially at how active the community is. I agree with this post and when I bought a pre I knew what I was getting and I'm very happy with what I got. The pre is a work in progress if you want something more polished get an iphone. Really after having the pre for only are weeks I can't imagine living without it and I think that speaks volumes to how great a device this is
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    You're right - there is no Solitaire. But then again, Blackberries don't come with solitaire, WinMo phones don't come with solitaire. Do any phones come pre-loaded with solitaire? Seriously. THIS is one of your top three problems??

    Calculator - The calculator that comes with the Pre is better than many of the other phones out there. If it doesn't do exactly what you need, just have patience.

    Ringtones - umm .... you can add as many custom ringtones as you want. I don't know many phones (besides Blackberries) that come with a lot of basic ringtones. Again, is the number of default ringtones really a determining factor for you?
    my blackberry certainly did have solitaire. and iirc the calculator was not only better but popped up right away without lag time (not that the last part has anything to do with apps) but many of the apps it comes with need work. like the music player, etc. Which is for me, why the lack of apps is bad. The OS is great, but when the standard stuff is lacking, i find myself waiting for other things to make up for that. As far as win mo, i really can't remember whether my nightmare of a diamond touch had it, but i think it did. lol. god i hated that phone.
  18. #18  
    I'll tell you what the Pre does have, it's got all of you knuckleheads here on the forum. Guys who complain about what it's lacking and have 30 days to take it back and buy something else but don't. Guys who don't even own the thing that come on the forum and create an account to talk about it. Guys who own iPhones that are only here trying to make it fail. Guys who think they know how to do everything better than Palm, yet Palm isn't bloviating on the forum for your phone.

    If you're here and you're posting, it's because you know the deal, whether or not you chose to admit it.
  19. lstrike's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Or another way to think of it is Apple was the first phone to have a dedicated App Store - it was a game changer that caught everyone flat-footed, and one year later, Palm is still flat-footed.
    Nope, false...the sidekicks have had dedicated app stores forever. I always love how apple gets so much attention as being the 1st to do everything.

    Matter of fact the sidekicks have even been able to cut and paste for years.
  20.    #20  
    SCROLL DOWN FOR A TL;DR XD

    Just to note, I hope I didn't come off as rude, I'm simply looking for debate =P

    On to responses. Oh god this will be long.

    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    We don't even have solitaire for goodness sakes. or a decent calculator. and 12 ring tones? parts of this phone are pathetic and apps to fill in the blanks really needs to happen, the phone comes off half-baked.
    Honestly, my question is "so what?" To folks to whom that is really an issue, they can return it. I'm not saying the apps don't need to come, my point is that they soon will, but that the wait isn't going to kill palm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    Pure speculation. Palm stated weeks ago they were adding "Thousands" of "Waiting" developers....and recently released the SDK publicly...have you seen any new apps other than the new NFL app (great app!). We have had 4 updates since its release and none have addressed the basic missing features such as calendar / music / photo / ringtone management to name a few. We now have more homebrew apps than the apps catalog....and i really dont think we have "Thousands" of homebrew developers. My point is this, if the few homebrew developers can add these basic features within days, what is palms problem? I will also Remind you that some of these homebrew apps were designed and coded outside SDK!
    Ahh, but you kind of just supported my point! I do apologize though, as I probably shouldn't have said "clearly eager". More so I meant that it is very likely we will have tons of developers on our side by the time Palm phones come to At&T and Verizon. Maybe not as much as the iPhone, but I'm quite sure there will be thousands of apps in some time.

    Anyways, you said it yourself, we are getting things from homebrewers. We have over 60 homebrew apps. That's more than we have from the current app catalog. And these people are working for free. Simple apps that aren't heavy on graphics and whatnot can be coded relatively easily on WebOS, and palm I honestly do believe has the intention of expanding the SDK(looking for game developers to make a game API?). I have the intention of making an app with my very basic knowledge of web standards, and thats exciting to me, though of course thats just me.

    Palm will not fail, i agree. There will always be fans of the pre just like the iphone. But i also believe they have lost many potential sales due to hardware issues and some basic features missing. The competition is not sleeping and there are some great looking PDAs coming out. I personally will jump off this band wagon if these are not corrected before these other phones hit the market, and i dont think im alone. I need a PDA that has basic working features, i dont need promises or rumors. And if i do leave because of the things i have mentioned. then in my personal opinion Palm has failed.
    I definitely see your point, but for me its really just tough luck. They wanted to keep their promise of releasing the Pre by the first half, and do think it was the smarter choice to release their phone before apple. I think most people out there with some reason knows that Palm released webOS a bit prematurely.

    I understand that you need a PDA with some basic features, but if so, then the Pre, at this stage is not for you. But that's not the case for everybody. For me, I would not give up the ability to multitask like the Pre does for any of its currently lacking features. I have a feeling many agree. No phone is for everyone. The iPhone probably wouldn't be the best phone for a president, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Or another way to think of it is Apple was the first phone to have a dedicated App Store - it was a game changer that caught everyone flat-footed, and one year later, Palm is still flat-footed.
    I agree Apple was the first. I think it was revolutionary. But what I'm saying is that I don't think the lack of apps will kill palm for now. The app catalog is opening to everyone in a couple of months. Remember, palm has to approve apps. I wouldnt be surprised if with a future update we got 30 more apps in one shot.

    But you are also helping my argument. The iPhone lacked an appstore for a long time, but what it eventually brough was great. The 2007 iPhone also lacked a humongous amount of features for its time. Not just the Apps. No copy and paste? No MMS? And tons of other things I can't remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    webOS itself will likely not fail. But the question is still open on Palm and the Pre itself.
    That makes no sense to me. How Will webOS survive if palm fails? unless Palm gives the rights to another company.

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    1) You're speaking from your own point of view. Whether or not you agree, the general consumer looks at 60,000 apps for the iPhone and 30 for the Pre. If they dig into it, they might discover that webOS apps will be significantly more limited than iPhone apps (as long as the Mojo SDK is based around web app technologies). If either of those factors are important to that consumer, I think the direction is clear.

    2) People keep comparing Palm to Apple circa 2007. That is a poor comparison -- we're in 2009 now. Apple has had a real SDK for 1.5 years and the app store for 1 year. Palm has had 2+ years to watch the iPhone and develop a solid plan to compete. Instead they came out of the gate at least a year behind where they should be. This is par for the course, as you might remember the previous CEO of Palm laughing off the iPhone like it was going to be a failure. I think the same misguided long term thinking is part of the reason Palm is in the situation they're in now.

    3) If there is a saving grace, it's that webOS apps will be trivial to develop, which means the app market could potentially flourish much more quickly than the iPhone's did. There are pluses and minuses to that, however. If you think all the cheesy iPhone apps are bad, imagine if the iPhone SDK had an even lower entry point for developers. I think that automatically skews us down the food chain a bit, since everybody and their brother will be capable of making webOS apps -- it won't require as much expertise as it does on the iPhone. Let's hope Palm filters out the crap.
    1) But you missed my point about Palm not trying to be or beat apple. Some consumers don't even know what apps are. Also, my argument is that palm isn't going to go down because of that. The iPhone looks like its going to continue its exclusivity with AT&T for a long time. Think of it, essentially one model phone, on one "bleh" carrier. While the Palm will have phones on Sprint, Verizon and AT&T. Maybe T-mobile. And at least 2 more models as well. That's a challenge for apple, and opportunity for Palm.

    2) That's all fine and dandy, and I agree that you shouldn't compare 2009 palm to 2007 apple, but the fact of the matter is that Palm is essentially a start-up company once again. They don't have the resources apple has, and for that I think they've actually been doing very well. Even if they did have apple's resources, I'd say they're doing very well. Once again, when the phones come to other carriers, Palm will only be doing better. Say what you want about the Pre, but the way I see it prospects are only high for Palm as a company. Oh and the Pre will have flash by he end of the year, which opens up a whole world of stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    To assume the Pre will have a large supply of HIGH QUALITY apps is speculation. Developers will support the Pre if, and only if, they view it as a sufficiently large market. The iPhone attracts developers because they know there are many millions of potential buyers for their software. If the Pre sells poorly, developers won't rush to it.

    It's premature to reach any conclusions on the eventual success of the Pre or WebOS.
    I agree it's premature, but we have to speculate right? If not, I'd be bored =P. At least I'm backing up my arguments, my main point being that WebOS is coming to more than just one average/expensive carrier, on more than one phone model. My argument isn't primarily about the pre! It's abou WebOS, and the positive prospect the operating system has for the company.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    1) Regardless of what you believe, Palm is on the very edge of bankruptcy. WebOS is nice but even fans of it admit that it needs a lot of work to really be competitive. Palm also faces more competition than just apple and the iphone. Palm also doesn't have a year to fiddle with webos to make ir right. If sales don't pick up substantially and soon palm will be in bankruptcy.

    2) You can't count on AT&3 sales to be huge they have a lot of good phones already and even more coming. The kaizer, hero, iphone, and several winmobile 6.5 with touch flow. Pixie is a cheap POS with a tiny screen and tiny storage for the same price as a 3g iphone. Lots of tough competition.

    3) Europe is equally as tough and the phone is releasing 5 or 6 months after the US which means palm has to sell a ton.

    4) Remember the number floating around was 5-6 million units. Sprint will have a hard time floating 1 million as their sales numbers are already disappointing and likely to slow now that the launch excitment is over. So that means Palm has around 6 months or a little more to sell around 5 million handsets.

    5) By any stretch of the imigination that will be difficult at best. Palm's survival is by no means certain and they aren't doing themselves any favors with all the bone headed decisions over the past few months and even years.

    6) Their biggest blunder has yet to really come. The SDK is inadequate. Whose idea was it to pack a phone full of hardware and then lock the developers out of it? Sure root access is there but homebrew will NEVER replace or even come close to replacing the app store because your average consumer isn't going to mess with it.

    7) Developers will not flock to an impotent market and device that is so limiting. That is a big reason why we haven't seen many apps and the ones we do have pretty much suck. Palm has limited their capabilities and options so much why waste your time building a glorified web page?

    8) Until palm opens up the api the third party support will wane. Homebrew will not be enough.
    1) Palm isn't nearly as bad off as it was before. I'll admit I'm not an economist, so someone with more knowledge on the matter please correct me if I'm wrong, but Palm's stock is at 14 bucks, compared to its less than 2 dollar amount from last year. And based on my arguments, Palm will be making alot more money when WebOS comes to different carriers.

    2) I'm guessing you mean tha you "can count", typo =P. That's very nice that AT&T has alot of phones coming, but has nothing to do with arguing against my point. If anything it helps my point, as AT&T is getting WebOS phones. How is the Pixie so bad? Who's to say they can't lower the Price? I also suspect apple won't be selling regular 3Gs for long, and in any case, the Pixie has a real keyboard. Actually your arguments about the Pixie are pretty silly IMO. You don't even know what the phone is like. The centro sold well despite it's "tiny screen". Also, it has expandable storage, and 4gigs is more than most phones still have nowadays, and quite frankly, more than most people need.

    3) I won't comment on the European Market because I don't know much about it.

    4) If they sell less than their prospects this firs quarter, it wouldn' be so big a deal. 3 million phones isn't a bad number. And palm will definitely be selling much more when there are different models and better carriers.

    5) Bone headed decisions? I don't care about what Palm did before the Pre, that doesn't really matter now, but goodness, not implementing copy some little things? Not really a big deal. Yes, palm is in a not-so-pleasant condition, but not so bad that they can't take their time to release updates appropriately. People are complaining because mostly trivial features aren't available less than two months after a phone was released. The things people complain about are convenience things, all which will be added in future updates(Palm has pretty much said so for all of them), likely by the time WebOS is on different carriers.

    6) Why can't WebOS be expanded? Palm is looking for someone to help develop a gaming API right? And when the phone is still battling with battery problems, I think it would be silly of Palm to allow hardware many intensive programs to be available. Games are fun and all, but I do think utility apps are more important right now, things that can be developed fine with Web Standards.

    7) Again, this is not primarily about the device. It's about the OS. WebOS, undeniably one of the top phone operating systems, available on at least 3 carriers. I don't see how developers wouldn't flock to an operating system so easy to develop for that is available and selling well.

    8) But homebrew developers will become actual developers, and there are already 60 homebrew apps, without anyone even geting paid!

    Now some general points, a TL;DR I guess:
    -My arguments wasn't about the Pre, it was about WebOS. A very powerful and easy to develop for plaform, with huge potential.

    -The WebOS will be available on multiple carriers with multiple consumer options. That's why i think prospects are bright for the pre.

    -The SDK is expandable palm is obviously looking to expand it.

    -Most of the things people complain about the Pre can be addresed in future updates. People just need to be patient. Yes, homebrewers gave us some stuff right away, but I already think Palm is moving at a very quick pace. Sometimes I think too quick, because there always seems to be new bugs introduced with updates. I'd rather them think about what they're doing, rather than just implementing them in a half-baked manner. Like apple did with copy and paste. Yea, it took them 2 major software revisions for it, but they have the best copy and paste system on a phone right now.

    -WebOS isn't so much about what it lacks, its about what it brings new to the table. Because what it lacks can relatively easily be addressed.


    To anyone who took the time out to read this, thanks! lolz wow.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions