Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    I didn't feel like a BETA tester with my last 6 Palm phones so why the hell should I have to feel like one NOW? I never had to return my old Palm phones 3 times and still end up with a phone that gets horrid reception and freezes and breaks and cracks and and and and not to mention the software issues....
    Maybe you should have a conversation with some disgruntled Palm 700p users. I for one had to exchange my Treo 270 three times and had to put up with some troubling problems on my Treo 680 which eventually forced me to abandon PalmOS smartphones altogether until the Pre came out. Now I have a Pre and I haven't had any problems. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe you got unlucky. I don't see myself as a Beta tester.
    I was mesmerized by web OS. I kept the Pre and took the abuse. I am starting to think I should have returned it.
    Maybe you should have returned it. Did you at least exchange it? You might have a defective unit.
    Take your apple analogies and eat them because Palm has been doing this phone thing longer than apple has so I expect more from them!
    If doing something for a long time automatically made you better at something, Xerox and IBM would be rule the computer industry. Palm fell behind and they are finally catching up.
    So what will be the death of Palm? Not webOS cuz it rocks! However, the case they put it in might. This is the worst Palm hardware ever and I have owned them all.
    I've owned quite a few Palm and Handspring devices in my day as well and while I've generally been happy with them, it's a fallacy to pretend that they were all without problems. I owned a Treo 180 which would hard reset whenever I opened the default calculator. I owned a Treo 270 which had to be replaced multiple times because of defective screens and radios. I owned a LifeDrive which was ahead of its time in many ways but also buggy and incredibly slow. I owned a Treo 680 which had enough bugs and lag problems that I had to hard reset and reinstall all my up apps every few months. Even my Palm TX had its problems with soft, mushy buttons and a instability.

My Palm Pre? So far so good. I haven't had any problems so far. So either I got lucky or you got unlucky.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Agree with napilopez.

And, I will go on record saying that I love the Pre just the way it is right now. Sure, I would be happy to see improvements. But, even in its current state it is one of the best phones to date. It is a good phone RIGHT NOW.
    The market will decide. Even though I myself own and use the Pre, when my average non-technical friends and acquaintances ask me about mobile phones I have to recommend the IPhone or Blackberry depending on their needs. I would like to be able to recommend the Pre, but objectively speaking there really isn't enough good about it to offset the negatives unless the person is a tech-head or Linux nerd like myself. Hopefully that will change with Palm's next phone but I think the battle for the Pre itself to become mainstream is already lost. It's all over except the shouting. (And there is and will be a lot of that.)
    I don't expect the Pre to compete with the iphone. I expect it to be able to compete with older Palm phones I have owned and at this point it doesn't in MANY ways. Sure, the OS rocks but the OS is lacking and the hardware is hideous. NOW.
    Sounds like you goofed. Surely you checked out what the new phone had before you replaced the old? What were you told it would do that it doesn't (besides the Alien Technology thing?)

Take your apple analogies and eat them because Palm has been doing this phone thing longer than apple has so I expect more from them!
    Exactly how does one eat an analogy. I mean, an apple, I can understand, but an apple analogy.

So what will be the death of Palm? Not webOS cuz it rocks! However, the case they put it in might. This is the worst Palm hardware ever and I have owned them all.
    If you've owned "them all", then you really wouldn't be making that statement. The hardware on the 270 and 300 were terrible. Users were complaining left and right about the screens falling off. I had both, the Pre is better, not even considering the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    These boards tell me those features are somewhere between 2007 and the present, but they haven't quite made it to today.
    Which tells me that you should be looking at the phone, instead of these boards.

That is, of course, if you're truely interested in what the phone can do, rather than what it cant.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by napilopez View Post
    I actually think he iPhone 3GS is possibly overall the best phone out there as of today, but the Pre has much more feasible potential, which is why I go with the Pre..
    I've been saying this since day one. Apple is on top, for now. But if Palm keeps playing ball they way they are, THEY WILL WIN. These things do take time, though. We are about two years behind apple, but I truely believe within the next year we can catch up, and even surpass them. Heck, we already have on some levels.

To all of you complaining about the pre and don't even own one, shove it.

To those of you bought one and don't like it, take it back. If you waited more than 30 days and can't take it back, I'll trade you my Samsung Rant or my Instinct (heck, even both) for your Pre so my girlfriend can have one too. (THIS IS A SERIOUS OFFER, PM ME IF INTERESTED)

As for me, I love my pre. With all its faults and flaws too. As long as palm keeps supporting it and improving it. I will support it as well. This is the best phone I have ever owned, even as it stands right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Which tells me that you should be looking at the phone, instead of these boards.

That is, of course, if you're truely interested in what the phone can do, rather than what it cant.
    I keep cycling between these boards and my local neighborhood Sprint store. I go to see if the fanboy hype I'm readin has a basis in reality and to see if the incessant complaints are simply the rantings of whiners. In general, my trips disprove the hyping fanboys and support the disillusioned whiners. Hope springs eternal on my part I suppose.

That is ALL he's interested in, check his posts. Palm is crap, the Pre is crap, yet he can't seem to stop himself from hanging out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I keep cycling between these boards and my local neighborhood Sprint store. I go to see if the fanboy hype I'm readin has a basis in reality and to see if the incessant complaints are simply the rantings of whiners. In general, my trips disprove the hyping fanboys and support the disillusioned whiners. Hope springs eternal on my part I suppose.
    Why??? What difference does it really make? If it is "fanboy hype" or "reality", why do you care? Seriously, you've already made it obvious that you don't want the phone. Why not move on. Life's too short to spend it on a forum dissing something you don't like, don't want, and don't plan on getting.

Well, at least for some of us.
    Why??? What difference does it really make? If it is "fanboy hype" or "reality", why do you care? Seriously, you've already made it obvious that you don't want the phone. Why not move on. Life's too short to spend it on a forum dissing something you don't like, don't want, and don't plan on getting.

Well, at least for some of us.
    But apparently life is not so short that you don't have time to try to bully people out of expressing their opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    But apparently life is not so short that you don't have time to try to bully people out of expressing their opinions.
    An observation tha he cried "fanboy" just because the guy said he was satisfies is hardly "bullying". He's trolling.
    The question is, why go to the trouble of expressing "opinions" on a forum for a phone that you don't have and obviously don't want? What exactly is the motivation? I wouldn't even consider going onto an iPhone forum and tell them that I think that phone is crap. It's just not my business. And I guarantee you I'd be run out of there for doing it. And this guy is trying to act like he's giving objective consideration and just trying to figure things out (two months down the line) yet EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS POSTS since the Pre came out is a critique of Palm or the Pre. Every one.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it is that on this particular forum the guys that actually own and enjoy the phone are considered the bad guys, and the guys that are ONLY here to bash it are considered to be "bullied" if you contradict their arrongant, know-it-all bullsh*t.

But then, since you know everything there is to know about everything, and you've said that it's your goal to single-handedly bring down Palm, not to mention that you're so eminently proud of your 7 Pre exchanges, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that you're jumping up in his defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    The question is, why go to the trouble of expressing "opinions" on a forum for a phone that you don't have and obviously don't want? What exactly is the motivation? I wouldn't even consider going onto an iPhone forum and tell them that I think that phone is crap. It's just not my business. And I guarantee you I'd be run out of there for doing it. And this guy is trying to act like he's giving objective consideration and just trying to figure things out (two months down the line) yet EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS POSTS since the Pre came out is a critique of Palm or the Pre. Every one.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it is that on this particular forum the guys that actually own and enjoy the phone are considered the bad guys, and the guys that are ONLY here to bash it are considered to be "bullied" if you contradict their arrongant, know-it-all bullsh*t.

But then, since you know everything there is to know about everything, and you've said that it's your goal to single-handedly bring down Palm, not to mention that you're so eminently proud of your 7 Pre exchanges, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that you're jumping up in his defense.
    +1 "clipcarl"= Mega TROLL. I think we should stop feeding him our pre goodness. Let him go chew on some Apples instead
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've always been worried that the name of this phone was the "PRE". Pre having the meaning "before" and what does this mean? "Before" what? Better phones? The calm before the storm? Maybe we are beta testers. Where does that leave us though? In real good hands. WHY?

- Like said before, this phone will be on other carriers in less than a year. The Webos will be on different carriers as well as PHONES in less than a year. The international, and national market alone will cause the app store to literally explode.

-Don't compare it to Iphone...EVER. It's a different phone and a different carrier. Fanboys can argue their phone is better...maybe it is but I don't want to be raped by a cellphone's monthly price plan and it's rude for someone to convince me that I should spend more. If I drive a cheap car, I'm not bothered by guys who pass me in their aston martins and would be rude for them to tell me I should buy one. F off. My choice.
    The pre isn't cheap and the iphone is definitely not an AM.

- Whats the bad news? We have to wait. We have the PRE, meaning we are literally beta testers before better builds and tweaks to the OS happen. We do however will have the platform and ability to get all these improvements as time goes by.

- What I chose to do. I returned my Pre, TWICE, the first time was for overheating and oreo, the second time was just the fact that I decided I can't have this weak slider for 2 years. It will break. I went back to my treo 800w. Will I ever come back to WebOS? You bet! I'll wait for the Palm "POST".
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    While it is true that I know everything there is to know about everything I never said that it's my goal to "single-handedly bring down Palm." What I believe you are purposely misquoting to serve your own agenda is when I said that I would keep exchanging Pres until I get a decent quality one or until it bankrupts Palm. Big difference, but I understand that lying about what I said helps you prove your point when what I was actually saying is that I expect decent quality for my money. Oh, and I have not exchanged my Pre 7 times. I'm on my 7th Pre which is not at all the same thing. But as we know accuracy is not your thing when distortions and lies are so much better.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    We don't even have solitaire for goodness sakes. or a decent calculator. and 12 ring tones? parts of this phone are pathetic and apps to fill in the blanks really needs to happen, the phone comes off half-baked.
    Just to let you know that there are many free websites for ringtones. Tonzr.com and Zedge.net offer free ringtones. All you have to do is download the ringtones to your computer, hook your phone up as a drive and put them in the ringtones folder. That's all!
  17.    #57  
    EDIT: HOW THE HECK DO I WRITE SO MUCH IN SO LITTLE TIME. Me and my ridiculous walls of text. UGH, making a tl:dr again

Ahh too many posts to quote so I won't do that, but I'd like to reiterate some things. I'm not directing these all specifically at one person, as several have expressed similar opinions.

I'm not comparing the Pre to a 2007 device. In fact, I kinda tried to dispel those arguments. What I'm trying to say is that some people believe that what the phone brings is more than what it takes away, especially because those things it lacks are very easily fixed via upgrades, and will be upgraded.

You may believe the Pre doesn't bring anything new to the table, but several of us do. It's one's own choice, your opinion, your belief! And opinions aren't facts, but it is true some opinions can be better backed up than others.

One thing people seem to forget in terms of the phones' relative success, is that Apple Inc. is, well, Apple. Meaning I am 99% sure that if Apple, not Palm, had released the Pre exactly as is, bugginess and all, the Pre would have sold way better.

To dabulls:

I think you are analyzing the name too much. It's kinda like all the silly puns that came up after the Nintendo Revolution was renamed the "Wii". The name is a name, and I for one think its a nice one. The "Pre" name is supposed to symbolize the phone setting a Precedent, and is aliterative, follows a palm naming scheme and blah blah. But I do understand why you may feel you are like a beta tester.

Oh, someone else before mentioned that first-gen iPhone users didn't feel like beta testers. Well, I disagree. Perhaps not beta-testers per say, but everyone I know with a first gen iPhone felt quite dissatisfied with their phone before OS 2.0. I know that's not the case for everyone, but everyone I know with it with whom I've discussed the topic felt it was lacking. But it was the cool new thing. It was apple, and it was in some way revolutionary. Again, because of what it BROUGHT, not what it lacked. Which is why I think WebOS is great.

I know I'm being a hypocrite by saying the the Pre and the iPhone are different phones looking for different markets and then comparing the two so much, but I'm falling to temptation =P. If you really want to compare, what I see as the main difference between the iPhone Gen1 and Pre, regardless of when they were released, is that the first Gen iPhone lacked several hardware features that were readily available at the time. Video recording, GPS, bluetooth stuffies, 3G. Things that a simple software update cannot fix. This is not the case for the Pre. Many iPhone1 owners felt cheated after the 3G was released, and rightfully so I believe. At least Pre owners will eventually be able to just upgrade their OS into the features they're missing.

I'm getting tired of people saying Windows mobile and symbian could multitask, so the Pre didn't bring it first. The point is that the Pre is the first phone to really do that in an efficient and intuitive manner! I know a gazillion people with sidekicks, and none of them new they could use shortcut keys to quickly switch applications. To do this too multitask between browsing an chatting, for example. It's the same as saying the iPhone had the first App store, when the sidekick had one wayyyy before. The iPhone just did it much better.

By the time WebOS lands on other carriers, I am quite sure it will have most of the features people want and say it lacks. This is a new OS and no matter what will take time to develop. Yea, Palm can't afford as much time as Apple, but neither are they moving nearly as slow. I also seriously doubt Palm doesn't know about some feature complaints, I think there is more going at palm then we realize regarding decisions about updating and whatnot. Just because homebrewers add features right away doesn't mean palm should rush to do so. After all, one of the main complaints heard around here is how palm rushed the phone out.

Finally, I think it's important to keep in mind that people who don't have problems with their phones are much less likely to come online to complain about it, understandably so. I know 4 people with Pre's, none of them techies, none of them with any noticeable problems for them either. So yea. It's definitely had some hardware hurdles, too much I'd say, but not as much as people sometimes make it seem here.

TL; DR

-Not comparing 2007 iPhone to 2009 Pre directly, but relatively. Like the iPhone 1, the Pre is about what it brings, not what it lacks. Except what the Pre lacks can almost all be fixed with updates, while much of what the 2007 iPhone really lacked was hardware based. Also, most of what the Pre lacks are convenience features rather than "real" features(arguable).

-If Apple released the Pre, it would be selling like hotcakes. Apple is Apple.

-To dabulls: You're analyzing the name too much, it means something else. But I understand why you feel that way.

-I disagree that Iphone 1 users didnt feel like beta testers. Many first gen iPhone users felt dissatisfied, and cheated when the 3G was released.

-Just because the Pre wasn't the first to do it, doesn't mean its not revolutionary. Yes winmo could multitask, but the Pre does it way better, and intuitively. Anyone who used the phone will be able to see you can multitask, while many winmo users didnt know they could, or didn't bother.

-The sidekick had an appstore way before the iPhone, but the iPhone did it better. Like Pre and multi-tasking

-I find it odd that people complain about palm not hurrying up and adding convenience features when one of the main complaints about the Pre is that it was rushed to market. They need balance. They are going fast, but not too fast IMO.

-Cheddar and Mozzarella are awesome.

Last edited by napilopez; 07/27/2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Sounds like you goofed. Surely you checked out what the new phone had before you replaced the old? What were you told it would do that it doesn't (besides the Alien Technology thing?)

I was told it would work well as a phone. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I get complaints from people all the time saying the call quality is poor and we all know about the horrid reception issues. A cloud phone is useless without reception. A phone is useless if it goes to voice mail all the time.

I wasn't told I would need an airave to get reception in my home. My last several palm phones didn't need an airave.

I wasn't told that it would shut down all the time and freeze up. My other palm phones did this maybe once a week and not several times a day.

My other palm phones didn't break. Since owning my FOUR Pre phones I have had it all in two months... Spider web cracking, usb door covers breaking, oreoing so bad that even Sprint laughed when they saw it...

I never had to replace my other Palm phones. I am now on Pre #4 and this one is turning off randomly all the time. Most of the time when I take it out of the case it is off and no I am not pushing the power button down.

Of course, I will just get labeled as another ***** complaining about webOS but in this case all my issues have been serious hardware problems that can't and won't be fixed by updates. I actually LOVE webOS even as a first gen system.

Maybe I was lucky for over ten years with older Palm phones. Sure things break...BUT 4 Pres in two months now??? Gee, I guess I am just a unlucky whiner.

I can deal with software issues and gen 1 device problems but when my new cloud phone has poor reception and can't stay on (4 times now) then IMHO I have to assume we have a quality control issue.

Just wait, your turn will come to exchange yours and then you'll end up with a lovely refurb unit...hopefully the one I have now.

I'm not asking for much here guys. I just want my phone to work as a phone and stay on.
    While it is true that I know everything there is to know about everything I never said that it's my goal to "single-handedly bring down Palm." What I believe you are purposely misquoting to serve your own agenda is when I said that I would keep exchanging Pres until I get a decent quality one or until it bankrupts Palm. Big difference, but I understand that lying about what I said helps you prove your point when what I was actually saying is that I expect decent quality for my money. Oh, and I have not exchanged my Pre 7 times. I'm on my 7th Pre which is not at all the same thing. But as we know accuracy is not your thing when distortions and lies are so much better.
    You're right about all that.

/lies & distortions
    I was told it would work well as a phone. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I get complaints from people all the time saying the call quality is poor and we all know about the horrid reception issues. A cloud phone is useless without reception. A phone is useless if it goes to voice mail all the time
    Just wait, your turn will come to exchange yours and then you'll end up with a lovely refurb unit...hopefully the one I have now.

I'm not asking for much here guys. I just want my phone to work as a phone and stay on.
    It's that last part that sort of erases your credibility. Just as my negative experiences with several different Palm models in the past doesn't match yours, your current negative experience does not match mine. Your predictions that it will makes it sound like less of a legitmate complaint.

We don't "all know about horrid reception"... I don't have reception issues with my Pre, except in my home; however, I've always had reception problems in my home, not only with Sprint but with ATT (when they operated under a different name) and TMobile.

My Pre has shutdown unexpectedly (low battery doesn't count, that's expected) one time in the ~ 7 weeks I've had it. I left it on a table in direct sunlight, and noticed it was off when I went in. I suspect it overheated. I'm not surprised - black device in directly sunlight on a > 100 degree Texas day.

My Pre hasn't broken, but my first 270 did, and my second 300 did (the first one I dunked, my bad). I went through 3 Centros before I went back to my 755p. As I said, my experience is not "universal", nor is yours.

The Palm units I've had in the past that were exchanged were always refurb units, and it never bothers me. If I end up exchanging this one, it won't bother me if I get a refurb.

I can deal with software issues and gen 1 device problems but when my new cloud phone has poor reception and can't stay on (4 times now) then IMHO I have to assume we have a quality control issue.
    But that's a bad assumption. Your experiences are anectodtal. There are too many other experiences, both related here and "unexpressed satsifaction" in the ~ 300,000 devices sold for you to extrapolate that your experience "must be" universal.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast