1.    #1  
    After installing the new WebOS yesterday, I thought I would start messing with Homebrew apps. So far, I've had no luck.

I started out by trying the new method on the Wiki. I installed the PreBrew 1.3 on my PC (Vista 64-bit) and then put my device in developer mode. When I would try and drop an app over the PreBrew icon, I would get java errors. I then installed the latest Java and still no luck. I then realized that the batch files were using "java" in them, and this was not recognized on my PC. I added the path to where "java" is located to my System path variable, and the java errors went away. I now get an error saying the number of devices found is 0. Ensure the "palm Novacomm" service is running. I did verify this service is running on my PC.

Was I suppose to do anything else?

I then thought I would try the older method so I installed Virtual Box and the PalmSDK on my PC. The instructions say that once both of these are running, you should see a virtual Pre. I can run Virtual Box, but am I suppose to do anything with it? Create a Virtual Machine or something? I try and run the Palm Emulator, but nothing seems to happen...I just get the wait icon for a few seconds, then nothing. I figure something is wrong at this point, but I go ahead and try to drop an app over the "palm-install.bat" batch file. A command prompt merely flashes and goes away. I now brought a command window as admin and executed the batch file from it, specifying my app as an argument...I wanted to see what was going wrong. I get the following: "\Palm\SDK\share\jars\%j) was unexpected at this time"

Any thoughts to what is going on? How do I know if the Novacomm app or file was transferred to my Pre? The instructions said this would happen the first time I was in developer mode and hooked my phone up to my PC.

Update: I then looked at the "palm-install.bat" batch file and found what looked to be an error (I'm not really sure) This was in there:

set CP=
    for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

I changed it to

set CP=for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

Now I get this in the command window:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/installer/In
    staller
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.installer.Installer
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: com.palm.installer.Installer. Program will exit.
    Last edited by dpjones; 07/25/2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: New Information
  2.    #2  
    Update: I then looked at the "palm-install.bat" batch file and found what looked to be an error (I'm not really sure) This was in there:

set CP=
    for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

I changed it to

set CP=for %%j in (%JARS%) do (set CP=!CP!;%JARS_DIR%\%%j)

Now I get this in the command window:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/palm/installer/In
    staller
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.palm.installer.Installer
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: com.palm.installer.Installer. Program will exit.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Hmm... Is 64 bit Vista even supported?

You might want to post this in the proper Homebrew/WebOS dev forum so it'll get the proper visibility from those who would know.

Mods can we move this?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Hmm... Is 64 bit Vista even supported?

You might want to post this in the proper Homebrew/WebOS dev forum so it'll get the proper visibility from those who would know.

Mods can we move this?
    I tried, but I guess I don't have the proper permissions to start a new post in the Homebrew section.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Yes, Vista 64-bit is supported.