Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with a Sprint rep after complaining about my phone randomly powering off. She advised me to return it to the store I got it from (which is an hr and a half away from my home). Whatever.

She proceeded to say that I have 30 days to see if I like the phone and basically after that trial period, I'm screwed. I inquired about the 1 yr warranty...you know that covers the pre with any manufacturer issues...and she pretty much said that's worthless. Palm will have me send my phone in and I will be without a phone for 90 days while they "fix" it and when I get "it" back, it won't even be my phone anymore, just some refurbished, raggedy phone.

SOOOOO for all of you who knows what's going on with all of this, clarify for me. Is that what you have been informed of?

I thought as long as I didn't cause the damage to my phone, it would be covered....now I'm not so sure.
    I have not dealt with Palm over warranty issues but I have seen other posts from people that have. I have never heard anyone say you have to go 90 days without a phone. From what I gather, if they accept your issue as a problem covered in the warranty, they will send you a phone which may be new or a refurb and you send them your phone. I've heard some people say they may charge you $40 for shipping. If they find out that you damaged your phone via water damage or some other measure that violates the warranty, you will be responsible for paying for the phone you received. Not sure if you can get them to send your old phone back if you don't want to pay. Again this is just from posts I've read so maybe someone who actually went through the process will shed some real light on it for you.
    its not 90 days to get it fixed

you have 2 optuions, 1 is the advance exchange where they mail you a phone first, cost $29.99 + tax

second option is, you send the phone in first, when they recieve yours, they send another out. --takes about 2 weeks

i just got my advanced replacement today via fedex.

called in last Thursday, got it today Friday...so about 8 days for advanced exchange

the number for palm warramty is:

877-426-3777
    oh yeah, the unit i got was indeed a refurb. works fine, but the slider is definitely loose, but not too bad
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    The best thing to do is to go to a Sprint Repair Center. Depending where you live, it may be a drive, but they have them in cities of significant (not huge) size. My experience with them, if you have insurance, is you tell them what is wrong with the phone and then have a seat for 15 to 30 mins. If they can repair your original phone, they will fix it and hand it back to you. If not, they give you a refurb with as muchof your old data as they can!
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    I just got off the phone with a Sprint rep after complaining about my phone randomly powering off. She advised me to return it to the store I got it from (which is an hr and a half away from my home). Whatever.

She proceeded to say that I have 30 days to see if I like the phone and basically after that trial period, I'm screwed. I inquired about the 1 yr warranty...you know that covers the pre with any manufacturer issues...and she pretty much said that's worthless. Palm will have me send my phone in and I will be without a phone for 90 days while they "fix" it and when I get "it" back, it won't even be my phone anymore, just some refurbished, raggedy phone.

SOOOOO for all of you who knows what's going on with all of this, clarify for me. Is that what you have been informed of?

I thought as long as I didn't cause the damage to my phone, it would be covered....now I'm not so sure.
    I would advise you get the TEP (total equipment protection) plan added to your line with the Pre. I am on my 3rd Pre going on 4th, and Sprint has been able to replace it just fine. My last phone has turned off on random times and reps at the repair center did not want to exchange it unless they could duplicate the problem while in store. I said fine, went home, poked a hole on something inside the phone, and now my keyboard doesn't work anymore. Went to the store and they ordered me a new phone and I shall get it in a few days. :-) Mess with me now Sprint! Only reason I did so is because they had me back and fourth too much, telling me lies and what not.
    Im sorry but ima just make sure this is correct. If you call sprint within your one year warranty and your phone is broken or not working, they make you send in yours first?

If so WOW, ATTs customer service is MUUUCH better IF i am understanding this correctly, they send you the replacement phone, you send yours back, no fees, no 29.99 option......
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    Im sorry but ima just make sure this is correct. If you call sprint within your one year warranty and your phone is broken or not working, they make you send in yours first?

If so WOW, ATTs customer service is MUUUCH better IF i am understanding this correctly, they send you the replacement phone, you send yours back, no fees, no 29.99 option......
    I had a Pre to be replaced, and Sprint did an advance exchange on it, received the phone 2-3 days later, and THEN is when I had to send in the defective one via the return kit provided. I believe you would have to send yours in first if you go the Palm route with the 1 year warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...lol. Don't want to be saying anything that's not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    its not 90 days to get it fixed

you have 2 optuions, 1 is the advance exchange where they mail you a phone first, cost $29.99 + tax

877-426-3777
    Is that $29.99 cost due to not having TEP plan?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    the TEP plan is definitely better. I haven't had the chance to use it but I've heard that they deal with problems faster if you pay for the insurance. Priority...
    The above number is dealing with Palm DIRECTLY for the warranty ($29.99), this is not going throug sprint

And no, no TEP required

I have never bougt insurance on a treo or Pre...1 yr warranty from Palm is enough for me
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    the TEP plan is definitely better. I haven't had the chance to use it but I've heard that they deal with problems faster if you pay for the insurance. Priority...
    I must agree. I have the insurance for the line with the Pre, and every time I've had to replace, no extra charges have been applied, whether for shipping or just getting another replacement period.
    Sprint covers the 1 year manufacturer's warranty in store now. However, if it is a sales only store they will refer you to either an advanced exchange or service and repair store since they can't do anything beyond the standard 30 days. Advanced Exchange location will order a device and it takes 3-5 days usually to receive, in the mean time you keep your device.Service and Repair locations have Techs that will diagnose and attempt to repair the deice if they can, if not they will replace it if they have inventory, last option would be to order a replacement if they don't have stock on hand.

The manufacturer's warranty covers any kind of mechanical or electrical failure with the device, usually caused by defects. If you have the Equipment Service and Repair Program (ESRP) on your line ($4/mo) then it also covers any kind of wear & tear damage that may occur on the device through normal usage (like a slider getting loose over time, etc.). If you have Equipment Replacement Program (ERP) coverage ($4/mo) that is through Asurion with a $100 deductible for the Pre and it covers lost/stolen, liquid, and physically damaged devices. Total Equipment Protection (TEP) is a combination of both ESRP and ERP together at a discount.

Without ESRP or TEP coverage and an issue beyond the scope of the normal warranty items it is a $55-$119 replacement fee depending on the issue.

I don't know what the warranty policy is through Palm directly since I don't deal with that at all.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sending in my Pre soon to Palm since I have light leakage in the bottom and in center of phone. Its not that bad, I have slight oreo, and a couple dead pixels. So I'm hoping this refurbished one I get back is better than mine.

What have people experiences been with refurbished pres? is it worth it?
    based upon the previous post, I would recommend you go straight to a Sprint repair store

If you send it in, and do not opt for advanced exchange, you will be out a phone for 2-3 weeks total, I am serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    based upon the previous post, I would recommend you go straight to a Sprint repair store

If you send it in, and do not opt for advanced exchange, you will be out a phone for 2-3 weeks total, I am serious.
    Trim...what is your experience with refurbs? Is the QC on a refurb slightly higher? Lower?
    I have seen/have colleagues whom own, literally over 80 units to date.

These are my experience:

1st batch -black box are terrible. lots of oreo effects, screen problems
    2nd batch -yellow boxes are the best (if you can get this, get it)

Re: refurbs, I am currently using my replacement from Palm. There is no oreo effect, BUT there is a slight screen flopping on my refurb

Overall though, I am not complaining, I do say though, that this refurb is better than my original launch day black box Pre.

build quality is fine, screen is crystal clear.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I purchased my phone through ebay, sprint store said they wouldnt touch it, havent spoken to the sprint repair center, I just assumed they wouldnt either.

Palm said they need 5-7 business days.

I actually got a yellow box pre, overall the body itself is great, the slider is nice and I really dont notice the oreo effect,

however, I notice dead pixels on the black boot up screen(5 of them) and notice some light leakage or less saturation spot near the center and bottom of the screen.
    Palm repairs are insanely slow.

just be warned, it will take upward to 3 weeks (or just about) to get your Pre back.

the advanced exchange, 30 bucks, however will take about 7-8 days tota

If you have a sprint repair store near, I would go there first
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sprint repair said they cant do anything, oh well.

thanks for advice, I guess I'll send it in hopefully ill get a better refurb one.

check out my screen in pic(start from bottom and it swirls up alittle bit), it gets more noticeable when phone is hot

what is this called, light leakage?
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast