Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Palm Pre Is the Most Open Mobile Platform on the Market - PC World

You're lucky that you missed the review I had written of Palm's Pre after working with it for six weeks. I couldn't see the attraction...

Great read!
    Last edited by Cooknn; 07/24/2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I was just going to post about the same article. Good one Cooknn. Explains some of Palms mystery plan.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I'm installing the SDK right now. Can't wait to hit the Linux command line. I dig this phone
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    PCWorlds head is so far up apples *** its not even funny. They make me sick.
    They probably should change their name to "AppleWorld."

So its no surprise to me that they have bull**** in their article about how the phone isnt worth the money. They even state the price of 299$ which isnt the true price considering the rebates.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Well, I use a Mac and a Palm pre. Both of which have pretty good hardware and kick *** software. I know I paid too much for my Mac, and probably did for my Palm pre as well, but the OS is why I spend. I love all the little OS X looks that webOS has. It still needs some work, but I have fun hanging on the bleeding edge

If you read on you'll see how PC World justify's the price in their own mind.
    $299 is too much to pay for the Pre as a smartphone, but it is the right price for an open mobile platform. I understand now why Palm was reluctant to let the SDK go public, but Palm's little secret turned out to define Pre's niche in the market.
    I disagree with the title of the review. Android is more open, it's almost completely open source (everything but the gmail client and google calendar).
    Android is much more open... you don't even have to install apps via their on-board app if you don't want to.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I suspect Android will get a lot more press if they get some decent (looking) hardware to back it up. The current batch of phones look pretty lame, IMHO. In today's economy you gotta do tech and sexy if you want to go big time.

Something like this might get my attention!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Agreed! Where's my HERO!
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I don't think even $299.99 ($199.99) is to much for the Pre. I think it priced pretty good. WebOS should have a very bright future
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Agreed! Where's my HERO!
    I'll be honest i want one too
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I see that Android does multitasking. But I have to say I like the webOS 'Card' implementation better than Android's 'Long Press' which seems more like Cmd-Tab on my Mac...
    Cards are a nicer representation but the Pre's underlying OS needs a lot of work to catch up in its core apps. 1.1 does help some with the browser but there is so much more to do for me 1.1 was a little bit of a let down. A nice start I guess.
    The reviews I have read said the Hero was slow and choppy. They blame the weak CPU.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The reviews I have read said the Hero was slow and choppy. They blame the weak CPU.
    Take a look at some of the phonedog videos on youtube. It slows down a bit when you have 3 or 4 programs open at the same time like the Pre but performance still seems better. The browser even includes flash in its performance which is going to slow the Pre down when it finally does come. Hopefully there will be a toggle for it.

I'm not sold on the hero though. The complaints about video recording seem solid (although we don't know how the Pre will do either but may fare better with the faster processor although the OS ultimately decides how fast things run) same with having to many widgets (there are 7 pages) so yah if you load them all up and everything is updating it would slow down.

I'm going to reserve judgment on it until I can play with one in person. Thus far the videos seem to point to better performance than the Pre overall. Palm should have plenty of time to do some updates in the meantime.

Last edited by Aridon; 07/24/2009 at 11:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I, at this stage, after attening I/O 2009 and even getting my hands on an HTC Magic for free from the conference, and working with Android for the past year, can safely say that the Pre internals and webOS as a whole is a lot more easier to get into and modify than Android could've ever wished.

Android's root access has always been on lockdown and each patch complicates it more and more. Yes, you're able to flash whatever bootloader/secondary program loader on the device that you want - but the Pre allows for root access OUT OF THE BOX. This is huge. They are giving us the power of the Linux command line.

The first time you see this:

Code:
    root@castle:#
    ...You'll lose it too.
    i dont like HERO's form factor... would rather go with the iPhone if i wanted a very thin streamlined phone.

I prefer Pre's formfactor, its not the thinnest but it feels best in the hand and easy to use one-handed.

Back to the article, i hope other gadget blogs start running this story. It seems like the author knows a lot about the know-hows of mobile app developing.