1.    #1  
    Just bought it from Best Buy and it was a zoo (for iphones)! Anyway left there after "porting" my number but it never activated in the store. Talked to customer service over the web and they said the phone can't get activated until the port finishes. I can't use the phone at all until the activation goes through!?! To make matters worse 2 pre commercials came on TV and they tell me its 2.5hrs to 7 days for a port to go through! This really sucks as I'm impatient... <end of rant>
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I'm right there with you, friend... check out my thread right below yours
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    most ports that i have done have been done within 24 hours..
    Sprint's failure in porting meant that I had to get a new Pre when my first Pre had almost no issues . Tech support bricked my phone - if you have issues make sure to ask for advanced tech support. Now 3 Pres later the build quality still isn't as good as my original Pre, current Pre has much more light bleeding.
    My port from AT&T to Sprint took... 5 minutes. Everything was fully functional on my Pre and my Bold completely dropped its signal.

When I ported from Sprint to AT&T months back, it took about 2 hours (within minutes it was partially ported).

7 days sounds very... wrong.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    The guy at the Sprint store said I never should have turned my phone on, but that can't be right, can it? I mean, if you buy it in the store they turn it on and activate it before porting your number, correct?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    My port from AT&T to Sprint took... 5 minutes. Everything was fully functional on my Pre and my Bold completely dropped its signal.

When I ported from Sprint to AT&T months back, it took about 2 hours (within minutes it was partially ported).

7 days sounds very... wrong.
    That's exactly what I'm doing AT&T bold to the pre. I'm jealous yours was so quick. I'll never do Best Buy again, just not a fun time at all. One guy manning the whole mobile store while trying to service people buying 5 iphones at a time lol I didn't demand full attention but it was annoying when the phone wasn't activating and he's busy trying to help people who can't figure out if they want the old iphone/new one, white/black, 16/32GB The best part is when they said they had a few of each and the "family" had to pick who got the crappy old one
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    My girlfriend had issues porting, the original retailer probably messed things up. Because we were going from single verizon plans to a sprint family plan, they assumed the same address. Called up and the Pre activated within 15 minutes. Moral of the story: If it takes more than a couple of hours, someone messed up.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    My port took about 30 minutes. Patience my friend.
    I went from iPhone to Pre.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Did you activate your phone and create a Palm Profile before your number got ported?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    Did you activate your phone and create a Palm Profile before your number got ported?
    no i didn't, is that the proper way in terms of steps? the guy who did it apparently went to "school" for the pre but didn't know how to reboot it ?!? I love when they ask you what your SS# is across an area where everyone is lingering, great customer service! now that they have all my info at BB, I can't wait to get all the mailers...
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Well the guy at the Sprint store told me I should never have turned my phone on at all, but I find that very hard to believe.

I'm wondering what the people who ported numbers successfully did?
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    My first port to Sprint took 5 min. The second, several hours. Why the diffN The password for the Verizon acct wasn't handed off correctly the second time. There is a porting dept - call them and they can tell you the reason for the delay.
    The guy at the Sprint store said I never should have turned my phone on, but that can't be right, can it? I mean, if you buy it in the store they turn it on and activate it before porting your number, correct?
    That's wrong. AT&T told me this but Best Buy said it's wrong (and really, it makes no sense to do it that way). It doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
    That's exactly what I'm doing AT&T bold to the pre. I'm jealous yours was so quick. I'll never do Best Buy again, just not a fun time at all.
    I did both of ours at Best Buy. It was actually really good. We had one person who knew what she was doing and everything went well (took a bit to activate but the port was quick). We also had another person who had no idea what she was doing and tried putting the activation error code into the system as my serial number but it eventually worked well.

It gave her the option to change the name listed for my second phone (family plan) and she skipped by it without asking me. I brought it up and she told me "oh it's impossible to change that". I told her I'd just call Sprint to do it and within 5 minutes of leaving BB I called them and had it fixed. Hell, you can even do it on the website.

You can't active your phone or do anything with it until your number is ported. If you're able to do that stuff before your number is ported, then you probably don't have your number.

Now partial porting is possible while things change over but it has to be at least partially ported for activation to work.

Well the guy at the Sprint store told me I should never have turned my phone on at all, but I find that very hard to believe.

I'm wondering what the people who ported numbers successfully did?
    Again, he is wrong and it doesn't work that way (it actually can't work that way).

I had my phone off when I ported to AT&T but I left my AT&T phone on while my Sprint port happened. Both worked fine (Sprint was faster at porting the number than AT&T).
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    The only porting that should take up to 7 days is if you port a land phone number. I ported my home phone number over and it took 6 days to disconnect from the local phone company however, I was also told not to turn on my phone until the number had been ported. If you do so the phone will not port correctly. If you are porting another cell phone number over then it should only take a few minutes up to a few hours.
    They messed up my port the first run through as well. However, all it took from me was a call to CS and they fixed it right away. It was my first encounter with the notorious Sprint CS dept, and I must say it left me very impressed.
    Ports quite often are done within 15 minutes, but they can potentially take up to 7 days given certain circumstances (like landline-wireless ports).

As for turning the device on, the Pre won't really do anything until it can be activated, which requires the port to be done for programming. In addition, the Pre programs itself, and cannot be manually programmed like most other devices. So if you turn it on before the port is done you risk having to jump through hoops to get the device working correctly. The Pre and the Palm Profile are much more picky with how they work compared to other devices like a Blackberry or Windows Mobile device. Until that Profile is setup on the device after programming, there really isn't much setup on the device. It all gets done as you go through the setup steps.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    umm, both my brother and girlfirend ported their numbers from verizon... it went very smoothly. the only thing we were told not to do is to turn on the pre until the port went through. Bad things would happen.. all we did was wait about fifteen min and call the ported numbers, if it went to sprint vmail we knew we were good and turned on the pre... this phone is so hot =X
  19.    #19  
    well the port went through after I called customer service. "Amy" told me that AT&T rejected the port apparently either the best buy guy fat fingered the company tax id# or someone on the back end did. I asked her like 5 times and she apparently didn't understand what I was simply asking. I just wanted to know who entered in the company tax id# wrong! She then told me it was put through again and now approved on AT&T side and would take 3 hours to go through and naturally I didn't believe her so when I hung up I activated and voila it worked.

I don't necessarily blame best buy but they were understaffed and I guess I'm just a little bit OCD when it comes to people handling my phone and when they guy just lays it down on the table and then opens a trapper keeper on it, I had to say something. I also noticed a "white spot" that glowed in the lower right hand side which I could definitely see and I asked him to get the demo phone to see if that had the same look. I'm guessing that's not normal? He said I could exchange it within the first 30 days for a new one but beyond that it would have to go out for repair. What do I do, ask him to open a bunch of new phones to check for clarity? lol

I still can't believe that 1 guy was there buying 3 iphones in cash and then a family comes and buys 5 with cash too?!?! I've never witnessed anything like that before but I guess that speaks to the iphone sales figure. Anyway I'm happy with my phone but a touchstone is going to have to happen because the door for the micro-usb is for the birds.