Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious to see if everyone (who already had Sprint and upgraded their phone) had to changed their entire plan to an Unlimited Data Plan. I found it odd that i couldn't upgrade to a Pre without getting an Unlimited Data Plan.

The current plan I have has Unlimited Data and such but it is considered a "package" and in order to get a Pre working on an account, you need to have a plan that already includes Unlimited Data.

Right now I am paying $69.99 on a shared plan with 4 phones. In order for me to get a Pre, I'd have to change my plan to $129.99 (which essentially has everything I have now.)

Any loop holes? Would it work if I buy a Pre outside of Sprint and just switch my phones?

All help would be appreciated!
    Yes I believe you need some sort of unlimited data. The pre is a web / multimedia device and uses quite a bit of data. Hell, the last update was 84MB and it downloaded over Sprint's network to both of our phones.

So I'm not really sure I'd want to avoid unlimited data.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I did. I was on a family plan with unlimited data and when i upgraded on July 1st i had to upgrade to an unlimited data plan even though i was told before the Pre came out that i would be able to get it w/ the family plan w/ unlimited data.
    Yes, I had to switch as well which made my wife pretty unhappy since we had a great plan before. We had an unlimited smartphone plan that was a little under $120 a month for our 2 Moto Q phones. Sprint told BB that I had to switch to the new $129 plan, which did include more minutes that we won't use, in order to upgrade to the Pre. It wasn't much more but this phone is worth it to me. I fit had been more than the $10 a month I would have thought a little harder about it.
  5.    #6  
    Anyone purchase a Pre without the discount and try to substitute a phone on their account? Will this work?
    System wont let you do it any other way throws error if you try without changing plan
    Even the Instinct requires a data plan. The Pre is miles above the Instinct, so naturally it will require one also.
    The Pre requires one of the Everything Data or Simply Everything plans. There isn't a way around it in the system, just like the Instinct. If we try and add a Pre on without the correct plan it errors until a compatible plan is added.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    They made me switch, but I didn't even have a data plan before, as none of the phones on our family plan were smartphones.

Lucky for us, between all the extra $5 for this and that we were paying for (ie free incoming, added texts, yada yada) that are actually included in an Everything Plan, the price increase was only about $10 a month. And we got more minutes (not that we need em, though).

Only problem is that since my parents both renewed contracts a few months ago, they'd have to dish out the full $500 for a Pre. Poor them. :P
    I recall a post here from someone who bought a Pre off ebay, with no rebate, and did an online ESN swap without changing plans. I don't recall seeing a follow-up as to whether that stuck, or whether Sprint caught it and made him change plans.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I went through our corporate rep and told her more than once that I wanted the $69 unlimited data plan. Well here it is over five weeks later and I should finally be getting my Plam Pre today. (Don't get me started, our rep doesn't seem to care much and just blew me off the whole time). I got email notification of my new plan Friday and it said I had the Business Essentials plan. I called Sprint CS and she confirmed that. I asked her WTF that was and she said I got X amount of minutes, international calling, 9 pm nights and weekends start time and unlimited text messaging. I asked her how I could have a plan like that when I was getting a Pre. She had no idea and didn't know what was going on. I had to ask her to change my plan and she did. Otherwise I could have gotten the Pre without the data plan but I didn't want to.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Why would you want a Pre and not get an unlimited data plan with it? Without it, the phone is majorly crippled and you can't use the majority of it's awesome features. Paying by the piece-meal data would bankrupt you in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by pistos View Post
    Why would you want a Pre and not get an unlimited data plan with it? Without it, the phone is majorly crippled and you can't use the majority of it's awesome features. Paying by the piece-meal data would bankrupt you in a month.
    Especially since those updates are forced...
    I actually downgraded my Plan to get a Pre. I had an AT&T iPhone, paying $150 per month with a plan that was no where near unlimited. I'm saving myself $50 per month and have a great phone to boot!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Even Sprints "Unlimited data Plan" is limited to 5GB of data per month. It's in the fine print.
    YES!! We are only paying about $10.00 extra /month with Pre

I was in line on launch day my situation:

Treo 700p 65.99 plan (50.99 shared plan with spouse,+ 15.00 unlimited data for my treo) ( unbelievable deal.. 1000 anytime min, Mob 2 mob, 500 texts / month

I was about to sign up with the Pre extend my Current contract which had been up for more than 1 year. Just when I was in the middle of setting up the Pre the rep told me I had to chnage to a "Data Plan" even though my existing plan had Unlimited data.

I was peeved I walked out and waited a week, lurked on here read all the stories of how cool the Pre was, I was sick of my heavy Treo.
    So I bit the bullet and got the Pre with Everything Data plan. Of course I also called Sprint customer service on prior to the 30 day cancellation and told them if they couldn't make some kind of arrangement for me then I would walk. So I did get some extras out of the deal but I am paying more on my Cell bill, that's price one pays for technology.

We got the everything Data Plan We do not talk much at keast I don't so unlimited Text allows me to save minutes.

I think it is bad business for a company to force long term customers into paying a higher plan just because they want a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    Even Sprints "Unlimited data Plan" is limited to 5GB of data per month. It's in the fine print.
    I don't think that's the case. Can you show a link to that information?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think that's the case. Can you show a link to that information?
    checkout: nextelonline.nextel.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.html

I believe the clause is:

"Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."

Sorry...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    checkout: nextelonline.nextel.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.html

I believe the clause is:

"Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."

Sorry...
    I wonder if this is to help prevent tethering? Has anyone exceeded the 5GB limit? If so, what happened?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast