Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    checkout: nextelonline.nextel.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.html

I believe the clause is:

"Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."

Sorry...
    I was actually concerned about this too. Not that I would surpass it I just didnt want to have to worry about it. But I did some research.

If you read all the fine print the limit is only on mobile broadband cards and phone as modems, not on data through phones.

I also take that to mean that if you have hacked your pre to tether since sprint doesnt know you are using your phone as a modem it probably wont apply to you.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    http ://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9845663-1.html

cant post links yet but take the space out before the colon
    Quote Originally Posted by ccureton View Post
    I was actually concerned about this too. Not that I would surpass it I just didnt want to have to worry about it. But I did some research.

If you read all the fine print the limit is only on mobile broadband cards and phone as modems, not on data through phones.

I also take that to mean that if you have hacked your pre to tether since sprint doesnt know you are using your phone as a modem it probably wont apply to you.

That is the way I read it also.

That 5Gb limit is for devices intended as broadband access modems.

The way it is written it doesn't seem to apply to how much data we use on the phones themselves.

I believe the clause is:

"Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."

Sorry...
    You highlighted the pertinent part. The Pre isn't a Mobile Bordband Card, a USB Modem, or an Embedded Modem, and I am not using it as a Phone-As-Modem.
    This doesn't (currently) apply to the Pre and its unlimited data plan.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You highlighted the pertinent part. The Pre isn't a Mobile Bordband Card, a USB Modem, or an Embedded Modem, and I am not using it as a Phone-As-Modem.
    This doesn't (currently) apply to the Pre and its unlimited data plan.
    I'm surprised it took this many posts for someone to read the "fine print" and actually see what it said.

Those plans are for phone usage. Add on plans are for "other" device data usage.

I did have to split my 2 phones from the Fair and Flexible that I had, to my Pre on a 450 minute ED and a basic + text for my daughter to keep the monthly increase to $40 instead of $60. I was paying about $70 month for everything (no data plans)

It still bites... ....now if she'll be able to stay within her minutes and texts so I don't have to go ahead and bump both up to the $130 Everything plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I'm surprised it took this many posts for someone to read the "fine print" and actually see what it said.
    It still bites... ....now if she'll be able to stay within her minutes and texts so I don't have to go ahead and bump both up to the $130 Everything plan.
    When we were getting ready to add the Pre to our account, I looked over our use.
    We were on a Fair and felxible 2500 account (I think that's what it was). We were not going over (though it was close sometimes) but my minutes were about 120 a month, hers were 2200 a month.
    We're on a 3000 shared plan now.
    All the phone plans have a 5gb cap as well. This is well documented and has been for some time. Not sure about the everything data plans- but unlimited Vision access and its predeccesors all had the cap.

Most I have ever used is 3gb- and that was streaming Sirius for 5-8 hrs a day @ 128kbps. It would be difficult to hit the threshold without being tethered to a laptop.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2

I believe the clause is:

Sorry...
    It only says they have the right to, not that they will.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yeah I had to give up my $10 per month unlimited plan (I was grandfathered, I was one of the original ones to sign up for the service when it first came out) for the Simply Best Plan (450) minutes.

They said I had to change!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I think we all believe and hope that the Data Usage Limitation doesn't apply to the Pre, but ... I also have a data card that was, when first purchased, an unlimited plan that Sprint quietly switched to this 5GB/month cap.

I believe that real issue is that Sprint reserves the right to cap us. I still haven't found that explicitly stated anywhere - but that was true for my data card, one day the 5GB/month cap showed up.

Honestly - 5GB/month seems to be OK for my Pre usage. I'm much more worried about roaming data caps. On my current data card, Sprint charges me for all roaming data service but what happens when my Pre (with free voice/data roaming) goes over 300MB/month off-network roaming - that could easily happen.

I guess time will tell ...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Update: the stupid ***** my company has for a Sprint rep didn't order my Pre. She is terrible. I have been trying to order my Pre for over 5 weeks now. I told her more than once I wanted the $69 unlimtied data plan and I wanted my business phone number ported over to my personal line. The only thing she did right was port over my phone number. I am still waiting for my Pre and it is now starting the sixth week. I am very frustrated at this point after being nice for five weeks. If I didn't want the Pre so damn bad I would have told her to shove it up her *** about 3 weeks ago.

So it seems the reason I was not initially made to switch to a data plan was because she just transferred my current phone to a non-data plan.
    yes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    All the phone plans have a 5gb cap as well. This is well documented and has been for some time.
    Again, where is it documented?
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    NO, I use my PRE with family shared plan. If I want to use Sprint tether I must use everything and they still charge and extra $40....pass thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by prephil View Post
    NO, I use my PRE with family shared plan. If I want to use Sprint tether I must use everything and they still charge and extra $40....pass thank you
    Did you buy through Sprint and get the discount and rebate, or did you pay full price and do an ESN swap?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yes I had to switch from the $85 2000 minute family plan and unlimited data (plus $10 for EVDO), unlimited text, pic mail, nights and weekends at 9pm with a free second line to the $129.99 1500 minutes with unlimited everything and a free second line. I had a 10% employee discount, but I recently signed up with the Aliant credit union thing so now with that 25% discount instead the bill is only about $12 more a month than it was previously. I need to call and see why they got rid of my 10% discount, I think they added the aliant discount as an employer discount and took away my 10%. I should be able to have both, in which case my new bill will be about the same as before.... we never even got close to the 2000 minutes, and in fact we don't really get close to 1500.... so i'm okay with the change for this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Yes I had to switch from the $85 2000 minute family plan and unlimited data (plus $10 for EVDO), unlimited text,
    pic mail, nights and weekends at 9pm with a free second line to the $129.99
    1500 minutes with unlimited
    everything and a free second line. I had a 10% employee discount, but I
    recently signed up with the Aliant
    credit union thing so now with that
    25% discount instead the bill is only about $12 more a month than it was
    previously. I need to call and see why
    they got rid of my 10% discount, I
    think they added the aliant discount
    as an employer discount and took
    away my 10%. I should be able to
    have both, in which case my new bill
    will be about the same as before....
    we never even got close to the 2000
    minutes, and in fact we don't really
    get close to 1500.... so i'm okay with
    the change for this phone.
    You won't be able to stack the two discounts. The alliant discount is considered an employee discount.
    I was able to keep my 3rd party dealer plan. But i had my instinct on that as well. Got it 6/8/09 had to go to sprint corp store and she did try to get me to change my plan, but was able to keep it since im a 3rd party dealer not just a reg customer.
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

As I read throught my Sprint agreement for the data plan I am on, this is in the fine print:
    Simply Everything

Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

On this page
    Terms & Conditions

I see this:
    Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
    In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, wireless routers, Data Link, etc.), you can't use our data Services: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; and (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance or hinders access to our network. If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).

and this:
    Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

That's about it though.....

Here is my usage so far:

Sprint Data 1647491 (1.6GB mostly from streaming Pandora every day)
    Go to howardforums and run a search. Several people have been shut off due to exceeding the unwritten 5gb cap.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast