Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Palm made a good choice to fight this battle. If you are wanting to stay relevant in the fight, you must sometimes stoop to the underhanded to get noticed.

The more you fight Apple on this, the more press. The more press shared with the Iphone, the more you get to contrast the two phones. This is fun to watch.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    Too bad iTunes sucks though. Once you surrender your media files to it, you're forever stuck using it. To hell with that in a world where I can get a linux shell prompt on my phone.
    iTunes merely catalogs your media files -- so you are not surrendering your media files to it. They are still individual media files like they were before you used iTunes.

The only thing tied to iTunes are older DRM'ed songs that were bought through iTunes itself, but I think people knew that going in. The newer non-DRM songs don't have this issue, and are again standard (AAC in this case) files on your hard drive that can exist with or without iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    iTunes merely catalogs your media files -- so you are not surrendering your media files to it. They are still individual media files like they were before you used iTunes.
    Except that once you sync a file to your device using iTunes, it's renamed and hidden away on the filesystem, with the artwork hidden away somewhere else. Do that with a hundred songs, and then try to find one outside of iTunes. Try a thousand!

Or, go buy some media through the iStore, and see how much you can do with it the file besides... play it in, or manage it from, iTunes (or on your iDevice). Bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Palm made a good choice to fight this battle. If you are wanting to stay relevant in the fight, you must sometimes stoop to the underhanded to get noticed.
    I can't help but agree. I don't even think it's very underhanded - Palm is just doing what it takes to make their device available in the iTunes marketplace.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    Except that once you sync a file to your device using iTunes, it's renamed and hidden away on the filesystem, with the artwork hidden away somewhere else. Do that with a hundred songs, and then try to find one outside of iTunes. Try a thousand!

Or, go buy some media through the iStore, and see how much you can do with it the file besides... play it in, or manage it from, iTunes (or on your iDevice). Bleh.

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Boy, that's tough, I don't know if I could even drill down a few levels, from a top level folder called "Music" in my home folder no less. I might never think to look there.

I am not sure what you mean about your second point -- the files function totally independent of iTunes as long as they don't depend on the iTunes DRM.
    Winner, most senseless debate. Alright, you win. iTunes in no way impedes finding or managing your media from outside of iTunes, and certainly does not make ditching iTunes an obstacle. Hooray!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123