Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a Palm fan since I owned one of the originals and used it as my daily planner. No e-mail, no phone, no camera, no music player, pretty much just a daily planner, cantact list, and some apps for work.

I LOVE my pre and switched from my Palm Centro.

I MISS the calendar.

I don't know if anyone else feels this strongly about it but thought I would start a thread about some of the functionallity that I and maybe others miss in the hopes that it might get noticed.

Things I Miss From The Old Calander That The New Calendar Is Lacking
    1. Colored Catagories that show up in the month view. I use my calander a lot and it pretty much just all looks grey. Good luck finding that last appt. date.
    2. The Alarm. Setting an alarm for certain events is a nescessity for someone like me with the lack of a memory like me.
    3. Editing the time of the reminder or alarm. Sometimes I need to know I need to get somewhere with more than 1 hour advanced notice. My next choise is 1 day. I will have forgotten the appointment 3 times in the time in between the reminder and the appt.
    4. Setting the default view from day to week or month. Although the month view isn't as functional to me now that I cant differentiate between the types of appointments in my gray mass of a calander.

Now that I look at the list it doesn't seem like that much, but it makes a world of difference to my planning abillities. I wish I had a memory.

UPDATE: 10/2/09

Some of the other Wants wishes and complaints from the comments.

- Searching. Search, copy result, paste into a text message would be awesome.
    - Adding people to meetings
    - Have a 12 month calendar view
    - Being able to sync events to more than one calendar independently of each other
    - Having an actual monthly calendar view when setting an appointment's date, instead of the scroll menus for the month, day and year
    - Speed improvements when swiping from day to day. Event entry and navigation are too slow.
    - Add participants to events I create in any calendar on the phone
    - Allowed you to view details in a week-view
    - Search for contacts and add them to the calendar
    - Send calendar invites out to contacts
    - If you have the all day check box checked the event does not show up in the calendar.
    - Having to rely on the web browser Google calendar is a workaround but is incontinent.
    - Does not show birthdays on the calendar from your contact details.
    - No other reminder options between one hour & one day -- or even week or month.
    - When setting a new event -- why can't you see the day of the week when you select the date of the event? Like the old pop up calendar.
    - Can only choose 5 minute increments for a reminder.
    - Changing the whole series of an event changes all past events in that series as well. Need "Change this and all future occurrences" option.
    - To edit an all day event takes 12 to 13 steps to change something that was already entered.
    - Repeat events sometimes change days randomly.
    - Randomly deleted events or descriptions. Some people rely on their calendar. An unreliable calendar is worthless.

Post any other calander complaints or work arounds here and lets see if they can make a difference. I would even settle for a calander app that just brings back functions of the old calander. Please

Palm, This list is ridiculously long. Something needs to be done or this WILL effect your reputation and sales.
    Last edited by osbornbr; 10/02/2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
    No search function.
    I'll just raise my hand in agreement and add that the calendar is my biggest complaint with the Pre.

My phone works great - no crashes, no app issues, no bugs. Upgrading to 1.1 was nice and smooth, etc...

Coming from a 700p, I miss my old phone a bit. Mainly (1) color-coding events and being able to see them in the month view and (2) no custom alarm option.

I was hoping some of those things would be included with 1.1.

I don't read every thread here, so maybe it's been mentioned, but Palm's website has a place where you can submit feedback about the Pre. I submitted my calendar comments, and suggest everyone else do the same. I can't include links yet, but it's under the "community" tab of the support page for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I agree I am missing my Centro's calendar. It was so much easier to negotiate, and faster too.
    1. I miss the colors too...and what's with not being able to search?
    2. If you sych with Google, you can set an alarm for many other intervals. You have to change the interval on the Google calendar.
    3. Editing the alarm/reminder would have to be done on Google calendar to get other options besides Pre choices.
    4. Centro's calendar was much better...

One cool thing though, you can text your Google calendar with an text like "lunch tomorrow 12:30pm" It will set up an appointment on your calendar...I love that!
    Yea I don't have many complaints about the calendar, but the ability to text google your events is groundbreaking for me. Its so easy to setup appts now without having to type all that **** in.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    This is a big disappointment for me too. I used datebk on my 650 but I believe even the OEM calendar allowed you to view details in a week-view. I really miss that. I echo the other comments here - the shaded boxes in the Pre's week-view are useless to me.

From what I've heard, datebk will not release a webOS format. I'm patiently waiting for another 3rd party app to let me READ my appointments for the week on one screen.
    The calendar and task apps are killing me. I've wrotethis several times but trying to change an appt to a time in the future is a pain. No month view when editing only the ability to scroll month day as if everyone has each day of the week memorized
    The calendar is the thing that sold me on this phone ... so maybe I have some suggestions that will work since we use it sooooooo much in this house ...

Yes if you go to google calendar online you can change the amount of time for a notification ... you can also get it emailed as well ...

We use 4 different google calendars in this family ... one for my husband, one for me, and one for each of the kids ... all of them are assigned different colors in the online google calendar so in the week view they show up by color so you can see who has what ... so you could set up different calendars according to activity and have the different color view in the week view ...

The search function on google calendar online is fantastic ... it will find something from any section on the calendar ... yes it sucks if you only have your phone with you but in a pinch I have used google calendar from the browser and gotten what I needed in the search ...

so these are just a few of the things I've come across in using it so much ... hope they help you ...
    OP is right on 1,2,3,4!!
    The text to calendar is pretty nice but I have 7 calendars and need some color.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Well, I am a pre wannabe. I am using a centro with Datebk6, which is the best calendar product I have ever used. I use a smartphone for the phone, and PIM features. Everything else such as web, music, camera etc. are not important to me. The feature I need with the webOS calendar is templating. I enter 50-60 items at a time when I put in my monthly calendar while looking at a chalk board. With Datebk6 there is a wonderful feature whereby you can make a new calendar entry, make it a template, and then the next time you need to enter the same thing, it is a few taps away. Just magic. This is what I need from the Pre. I suspect that is a long ways away...
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsLiz View Post
    The calendar is the thing that sold me on this phone ... so maybe I have some suggestions that will work since we use it sooooooo much in this house ...

Yes if you go to google calendar online you can change the amount of time for a notification ... you can also get it emailed as well ...

We use 4 different google calendars in this family ... one for my husband, one for me, and one for each of the kids ... all of them are assigned different colors in the online google calendar so in the week view they show up by color so you can see who has what ... so you could set up different calendars according to activity and have the different color view in the week view ...

The search function on google calendar online is fantastic ... it will find something from any section on the calendar ... yes it sucks if you only have your phone with you but in a pinch I have used google calendar from the browser and gotten what I needed in the search ...

so these are just a few of the things I've come across in using it so much ... hope they help you ...
    Liz is Spot on if you go to Google calendar online you can create seperate calendars, Assign diff. colors, ectt. Works fine for me I prefer inputting Calendar events on my desktop
    I wish I could search for contacts and add them to the calender.
    how do you text to calendar?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just tried to create an event in my calendar using my EAS account...is it true that I can't send calandar invites out to contacts? I'm coming from a Blackberry where I was able to schedule a meeting and invite co-workers. Does the Pre not have this ability??
    I miss my month view with text...did a little work around...

http://bit.ly/mThRp
    I have trouble changing appts on pre - at sync they seem to pop back to where they were originally entered.

Also, calendar randomly asks me to confirm appts on the google calendar on my desktop.

Clearly there is still buginess.

Search, copy result, paste into a text message would be awesome. :-)
    To text to your calendar you need to set it up on the desktop ... and it confirms you phone ...

My other favorite thing ... and it is a pay service so not everyone will want it ... is jott.com ... i've used it since the beginning to send myself email reminders of stuff i have to do while i am in the car sitting in traffic ... well you can also set appointments to your google calendar with your voice ... call the jott number, say google calendar, say your appointment and in a few seconds it is added to your calendar ... it is fantastic ... and for how much I use the service worth the subscription cost ...

I'm like Addie ... I must prefer to add stuff on the desktop ... but when I do have to type it into the phone I basically block the time with a word and then edit it later so I can put in more info ...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I could swear I've had a different set of reminder times. I just tried to make a change and saw nothing between 1 hr & 1 day. But I'm sure I've seen a different set of choices. Am I losing it, or is there a different set? . . . and how do I select it? TIA
    Don
    San Ramon CA
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I opened a ticket up with Palm a month ago on a calendar issue. I even had the Palm tech do it and he actually admitted that he sees the issue. If you have the all day check box checked the event does not show up in the calendar. This also happens for a reocurring all day appt. Palm knew about this issue and did not fix it in the new release. I wonder if Palm is really listening.
    I also agree on the view issue. I like using the monthly view and the grey boxes mean nothing to me as well.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    The google calendar tips are great....for those that use google's calendar. I use my pm mostly and Outlook when I'm at my computer.

I'd really love to see a better palm calendar and hope to see a stromg app. Unfortunately, it seems palm limits the access to the calendar so companies like datebk are not anning on making anything. I'm not sure where that leaves us.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast