Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 227
  1. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #141  
    OK, maybe I'm the exception, but I have only minor complaints about calendar. I find it reasonably fast. It takes about 3 seconds to open and bring up today. I can open the month view, tap on a day and get to a new day in about 5 seconds. That doesn't seem slow to me.

    I haven't had any problems with syncing to Google Calendar. Events I enter on the Pre show up in Google in a few minutes and vice versa. I haven't had any problems with events getting messed up, even recurring events.

    I do use Google as my primary calendar for both work and my personal life. I now have six calendars on Google syncing to my Pre and they all seem to work fine. Mostly I enter events at my desk directly on Google, but when I enter things on the Pre they seem to sync fine.

    As far as the Treo calendar goes, I used Treos since the Treo 300. I used Datebook and would buy it for the Pre if it was available, but Palm's native calendar was not that great.

    I may not be one of those people who is on the road using their Pre 24/7 and lives on their Pre. but I am a consultant and use the Pre calendar on the road a lot. I don't schedule a lot of meetings with multiple attendees. I'm not saying that the Pre calendar is great, but it meets my needs.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    The other colossally stupid thing the calendar does is that it shifts all kinds of events to different times, based on the time zone I was in when I created them. (So noon meetings show up in the calendar at 9am.)

    Cool! So if YOU live in a time zone that's different from a zone you'll be traveling to for a meeting, you'll have to enter the wrong time based on how the calendar will shift the time when you travel.

    This calendar is almost entirely worthless.
    the shifting time zone thing is a *good* thing. the fact that you can't explicitly set the time zone for an event is the bad thing.
  3. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    the shifting time zone thing is a *good* thing. the fact that you can't explicitly set the time zone for an event is the bad thing.
    While I can appreciate that some folks might like to work this way, there are two problems with this and how I work (unless you're being sarcastic) your take is different from mine and I intend no disrespect to you or your workflow. I'm just glad this can be turned off.

    Problem 1:
    If I plan to travel 3 time zones away and I'm scheduling a bunch of appointments for my destination, with the default Pre setup, I would have to calculate and enter all my appointments for my travel days "time-shifted" myself in advance. So I'd be talking with my client Bill, who wants to meet next Thursday for lunch at 11:45am, and I'd need to make sure I entered that appointment as 8:45am. Now, Imagine I have a handful of various appointments to schedule. Like taking a client to a show at 10pm. I'd need to make sure I entered it as 1am on the following day on my calendar before I travel.

    And that's a simple scenario. What if you planned a multi-day car trip and wanted to schedule appointments with lots of clients along the way? You'd need to make sure to calculate different time-shifted appointments for your clients in Phoenix and Denver, and Las Vegas, etc.

    That kind of preplanning might work for you, but it seems like a huge pain and quite counter-intuitive to me.

    Problem 2:
    But let's just assume you're cool with that workflow... This week I experienced automatic resetting of time zones resulting in shifted all-day events to an earlier day, but ONLY when traveling from East coast to West coast and not the reverse!! So those of us traveling from Tampa to LA need to make sure all-day events which will occur when we're out of town are entered on the wrong day, but LA residents traveling to Tampa are good to enter all day events on the correct day as they won't shift when the phone is powered up in the new time zone.

    I have yet to test this thoroughly, but I'd be curious to know... Does this happen with a shift just one time zone to the west? If that's the case and I was driving west instead of flying, would the Pre move each of my all-day events a day earlier each time when I traveled to a new time zone? Now my all-day events would be set 3 freakin days early!! Then what happens if I leave my rental car in the Pacific time zone and fly back? From my experience, it would leave those events on the wrong days (because it doesn't shift back in West to East travel).

    I just have to believe that you wouldn't like that and I think the Pre calendar is far too bug-ridden to be an actual business calendar.

    Note: I know somebody is gonna chime in and say, 'I own a business and enter all kinds of appointments and it works fine for me.' Great. But that's the exception, not the rule. Truth is, there are way too many bugs to call this calendar a business tool. I've posted a couple of issues in this thread and another collection here if you're interested:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1893382
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    While I can appreciate that some folks might like to work this way, there are two problems with this and how I work (unless you're being sarcastic) your take is different from mine and I intend no disrespect to you or your workflow. I'm just glad this can be turned off.

    Problem 1:
    If I plan to travel 3 time zones away and I'm scheduling a bunch of appointments for my destination, with the default Pre setup, I would have to calculate and enter all my appointments for my travel days "time-shifted" myself in advance. So I'd be talking with my client Bill, who wants to meet next Thursday for lunch at 11:45am, and I'd need to make sure I entered that appointment as 8:45am. Now, Imagine I have a handful of various appointments to schedule. Like taking a client to a show at 10pm. I'd need to make sure I entered it as 1am on the following day on my calendar before I travel.

    And that's a simple scenario. What if you planned a multi-day car trip and wanted to schedule appointments with lots of clients along the way? You'd need to make sure to calculate different time-shifted appointments for your clients in Phoenix and Denver, and Las Vegas, etc.

    That kind of preplanning might work for you, but it seems like a huge pain and quite counter-intuitive to me.

    Problem 2:
    But let's just assume you're cool with that workflow... This week I experienced automatic resetting of time zones resulting in shifted all-day events to an earlier day, but ONLY when traveling from East coast to West coast and not the reverse!! So those of us traveling from Tampa to LA need to make sure all-day events which will occur when we're out of town are entered on the wrong day, but LA residents traveling to Tampa are good to enter all day events on the correct day as they won't shift when the phone is powered up in the new time zone.

    I have yet to test this thoroughly, but I'd be curious to know... Does this happen with a shift just one time zone to the west? If that's the case and I was driving west instead of flying, would the Pre move each of my all-day events a day earlier each time when I traveled to a new time zone? Now my all-day events would be set 3 freakin days early!! Then what happens if I leave my rental car in the Pacific time zone and fly back? From my experience, it would leave those events on the wrong days (because it doesn't shift back in West to East travel).

    I just have to believe that you wouldn't like that and I think the Pre calendar is far too bug-ridden to be an actual business calendar.

    Note: I know somebody is gonna chime in and say, 'I own a business and enter all kinds of appointments and it works fine for me.' Great. But that's the exception, not the rule. Truth is, there are way too many bugs to call this calendar a business tool. I've posted a couple of issues in this thread and another collection here if you're interested:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1893382
    One more reason to beg, plead, cajole, and implore CESD to develop DateBk for the webOS!
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
  5. lseans's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #145  
    And may I also plead for iambic to get busy with Agendus for webOS!
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    While I can appreciate that some folks might like to work this way, there are two problems with this and how I work (unless you're being sarcastic) your take is different from mine and I intend no disrespect to you or your workflow. I'm just glad this can be turned off.
    i'm not being sarcastic, but i think you may have misunderstood my statements... see below...

    Problem 1:
    If I plan to travel 3 time zones away and I'm scheduling a bunch of appointments for my destination, with the default Pre setup, I would have to calculate and enter all my appointments for my travel days "time-shifted" myself in advance. So I'd be talking with my client Bill, who wants to meet next Thursday for lunch at 11:45am, and I'd need to make sure I entered that appointment as 8:45am. Now, Imagine I have a handful of various appointments to schedule. Like taking a client to a show at 10pm. I'd need to make sure I entered it as 1am on the following day on my calendar before I travel.
    this would *not* be required if you could enter a time zone. i.e. you're on the west coast, when setting up your appointment, you'd enter 11:45 EST. no time shifting on your part required- the phone handles it all.


    I have yet to test this thoroughly, but I'd be curious to know... Does this happen with a shift just one time zone to the west? If that's the case and I was driving west instead of flying, would the Pre move each of my all-day events a day earlier each time when I traveled to a new time zone? Now my all-day events would be set 3 freakin days early!!
    certainly not when you have network time on. when you enter the appointment, the pre, internally, enters a time zone (your current one) along with the appointment. when it senses that you have shifted time zones, it changes the display accordingly. it's still tied to the exact same zulu time.

    Then what happens if I leave my rental car in the Pacific time zone and fly back? From my experience, it would leave those events on the wrong days (because it doesn't shift back in West to East travel).
    it would only appear on different days if they were on different days (in zulu time) in the different time zones to begin with.

    I just have to believe that you wouldn't like that and I think the Pre calendar is far too bug-ridden to be an actual business calendar.
    it's actually not a bug- just not exposing the time zones. if they would expose it, a whole lot of confusion would go away.
  7. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #147  
    I would love a way to disable notifications on calendar items.

    Note that I'm not talking about the setting for "Default Event Reminder" in the Calendar preferences, which I have set to "no reminder".

    Instead, I'd like to see a method to disable the meeting notifications that still appear.

    (Consider the scenario where you go on vacation, but some recurring meetings remain on your calendar during that time. It's a pain to get notifications for meetings that you won't attend, nor care to think about.)

    ...now if this relates to an Exchange-server side setting I can modify, then please let me know.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    One more reason to beg, plead, cajole, and implore CESD to develop DateBk for the webOS!
    See this:

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ...
    I suggest folks email Pimlico (Pimlico Software, Inc. (SWSupport ATSign PimlicoSoftware DOTSign com) and let them know what you're willing to do. Personally, I'm willing to pay the full $29 for this, and even willing to pay 1/2 up front, with some assurance that we'll see the product within the following 6 months.

    An email or two to Palm to encourage them to work with Pimlico probably wouldn't hurt either.

    If you want to see the product, here's a link - Pimlico Software home page
  9. Lee B's Avatar
    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    the shifting time zone thing is a *good* thing. the fact that you can't explicitly set the time zone for an event is the bad thing.
    Letting you set the time zone would help, but even better would be a simple switch that tells the calendar to ignore time zone shifts. I do want the phone to tell me the right time when I shift zones, but I don't want it to shift all my appointments. As others have said, it's a lot more intuitive to set an event in local time, regardless of which time zone it will be in.

    I've been coping with this problem by making the adjustments in my head once I'm in a new zone ("OK, the Pre says the meeting is 9, but I know it's really 11"). That's fairly easy within the US, but it's still an invitation to confusion.
  10. matikz's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #150  
    Personally I'd like to see the ability to add the .ics calendar invites to my Pre natively. Yes I know I could add them to Google calendar then sync them to the Pre but it honestly seems like an extra step that shouldn't be needed.
  11. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #151  
    Note: I know somebody is gonna chime in and say, 'I own a business and enter all kinds of appointments and it works fine for me.' Great. But that's the exception, not the rule. Truth is, there are way too many bugs to call this calendar a business tool.

    No, that's not the exception. Your problem is that, because it doesn't do what you want, it "sucks" and "isn't a business tool". It doesn't work for your business, it doesn't meet your needs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't meet anyone's needs. It works well for my business, so should I say it's a great business tool and you are the exceptiopn?

    Datebook had bugs and limitations too. I used it faithfully since Datebook 3 and remember reading lots of posts on TreoCentral about how this or that didn't work. It evolved and evolved over the years to fix things and add features, but even Datebook 6 had limitations and people continued to complain about it.

    You seem to want the Pre to do exactly what you want it to do right out of the box and if it doesn't it "sucks". The world doesn't revolve around you. Why don't you try and be positive and constructive. Make suggestions and raise concerns about things that need to be changed, but let it evolve the way all software does.
  12. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    No, that's not the exception. Your problem is that, because it doesn't do what you want, it "sucks" and "isn't a business tool". It doesn't work for your business, it doesn't meet your needs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't meet anyone's needs. It works well for my business, so should I say it's a great business tool and you are the exceptiopn?
    Obviously you're right. The calendar must be okay after all. Please take a moment and correct the author of this article and 190 of the 194 comments (there were 3 or 4 in defense of the current calendar):

    http://www.precentral.net/dear-palm-...e-fix-calendar

  13. #153  
  14. #154  
    My only complaint about the calendar is not seeing color for events in month view. Other than that it works well for my use.
  15. dustysa4's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #155  
    Every now and again my calendar sync gets all wacky and my all day events change to random timed events and I have to go back in and manually change them and redo the reminders I had set for them. It's getting tiresome. Anyone else having similar problems?
  16. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustysa4 View Post
    Every now and again my calendar sync gets all wacky and my all day events change to random timed events and I have to go back in and manually change them and redo the reminders I had set for them. It's getting tiresome. Anyone else having similar problems?
    I am too tired to complain anymore about the calendar. I really really REALLY hope that Palm is going to do some proactive actions to drastically change the Calendar function. Reading these forums from time to time helps in reaffirming the many issues that are present in its current state. This is kind of like therapy for us calendar-centric folk. I just wish that Palm would communicate more with the community to admit the problems and that they are actively working on a solution to make this calendar as rock-solid as the older Palm devices.

    Again...other than the above, I LOVE my Pre!
  17. #157  
    the calendar is why I finally gave up and switched to the hero. Sadly, I love palm but just cannot wait any longer for a functional centro like calendar. Even my ORGINAL palm pilot calendar worked far better than the pre
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustysa4 View Post
    Every now and again my calendar sync gets all wacky and my all day events change to random timed events and I have to go back in and manually change them and redo the reminders I had set for them. It's getting tiresome. Anyone else having similar problems?
    Yep. Had that happen. Moved on to Android because I'm tired of waiting for Palm to fix this mess themselves.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

    ...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  19. #159  
    If this phone is for busy people how can it have such a lame calendar?

    Oh but DateBk also had this and that problem, not fair. Well what's left for Palm to work on?

    Yes, date and time management is a long standing problem in computing and it's an opportunity for Palm.

    They don't have to work on it. They don't have to even exist for that matter.

    What's Palm reason for being anyway if not solving these problems?
  20. #160  
    ability to change to week-numbers (ISO 8601(1988)) instead of "week of 2nd november" in week- AND month-view
    (Seven-day week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
    commonly used in european business communications and common in EU phones.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions