Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    The calendar app does suck. All I see on the monthly view is gray boxes of varying sizes which tell me NOTHING. Month-view is my preferred default view by the way.

On a device which boasts a screen that can display an inumerable amount of colors, why are we left with only gray boxes to depict what the event is at a glance?

And yes, the memo app blows too. Seems like both were pushed out quickly with the entire phone to get it to the market with the intention to "oh, we'll send out an update after release to rectify it" but it seems like thats taking forever.

I fiddled with my girlfriend's iPhone calendar app and was impressed. However, her memo app blew, but it DID have the one and ONLY capability that I seriously would ask for at this moment in time...the ability to SYNC with the desktop! I type LONG and detailed memos that I use for work on a near-daily basis and now I find myself tryin to type in huge paragraphs of text with the rather incapable (in comparison to my treo 755p) keyboard.
    My biggest issue with the calendar app is how slow it is. It's almost entirely impractical to use it to do scheduling. Someone suggests a day for an event and I then have to wait for freaking ever for it to come back and tell me!

The PIM on the Pre is terrible. I'm almost better off paying for Classic and using the PIM tools from there.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Wow...this thread is getting long! Are you listening Palm?

(sloppy typing by Pre)
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsLiz View Post
    The calendar is the thing that sold me on this phone ... so maybe I have some suggestions that will work since we use it sooooooo much in this house ...

Yes if you go to google calendar online you can change the amount of time for a notification ... you can also get it emailed as well ...

We use 4 different google calendars in this family ... one for my husband, one for me, and one for each of the kids ... all of them are assigned different colors in the online google calendar so in the week view they show up by color so you can see who has what ... so you could set up different calendars according to activity and have the different color view in the week view ...

The search function on google calendar online is fantastic ... it will find something from any section on the calendar ... yes it sucks if you only have your phone with you but in a pinch I have used google calendar from the browser and gotten what I needed in the search ...

so these are just a few of the things I've come across in using it so much ... hope they help you ...
    These are all great suggestions. However, many of us make our appointments on the go. Having to get on my computer just adds another step. That's what was so nice about prior Palm devices; they were built for convenience, and as well thought out business tools.
    Anyone else having trouble with syncing? When I add an appointment into the cal app with google being my default calendar, it doesn't show up in gcal at all online. It does show on the pre, but not on gcail. I've manually synced and I've also waited a couple of days and nope, it doesn't show up. If I create the appointment on gcal, and do nothing to the one on the pre, it duplicates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Even if all the old developers are gone, the new ones certainly could have looked at how other calendar programs worked before creating there own. But it's like they deliberately ignored the best of breed, and tried to do it on their own, without any input from real calendar users. As if they thought they were smarter than everyone else. (Gee, does that sound like Apple?)
    It's called hubris and there seems to be plenty of it to go around on the Pre development team. Like many "new build" software teams, I'll bet they used the old "don't use anything from that old software - otherwise why would we be building the new software" attitude so many other failures have used.
    You guys all said everything. I just got my pre and was shocked that it had all these problems coming from palm. I am still carrying my treo755p just for the calander & everyone snickers that i need 2 phones!
    I hope they fix soon
    I'm getting sick of getting a bunch of gmail reminders about calendar appointments when I deleted the e-mail notification option weeks or months ago.

It's like this interface decides for itself what will or won't be edited. I have the same problem with editing contacts. Whatever I do gets undone before my very eyes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Added an event today to my Google calendar on the Pre, and the event location disappeared while I was looking at it. One second it was there, then *poof* it was gone.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I have an appointment that was updated today in Outlook (Exchange). I accepeted the meeting request in Exchange but it does not show up on my Pre. It is in Outlook but will not synch to the Pre. Any thoughts.
    I love the new "month default" tweak, i hope they can get that goin for the upgrade as well. I already know what i'm doing today, i dont need to see it everytime i need to post a date for something. With the upgrade there are NO differences in the calender, come on!!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    All I miss is a default Agenda view. The agenda app isn't bad but it seemed slow to me.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I havent looked threw the whole thread so if this is already addressed forgive me...I just set up a google clander and synced it, my question is that in the month view I dont see anything...nothing to indicate that there is a event on any day...I updated to webos 1.2 and I know when I added a event just into my phone before I would see something but now I get nothing...please help
    I am LIVID. I simply can not believe they are not paying attention to the calendar. I tell everybody I know how bad the calendar is, they all say "isn't the calendar one of their big selling features?". Everything else, and I do mean everything else, I can handle and work around. But their inattention to the worst calendar I have ever seen is inexcusable. Palm if you are listening, WE NEED A GROWN UP CALENDAR!!!!! NOW!!!!

Number one on my hit list is the absence of "Change this and all future occurences" when trying to change the time or day of a repeating event. Doesn't this bother anybody else? You can only change the event you tapped or the whole damn series (and that means all of the times change, even the ones in the past). I jokingly say "there goes my alibi" everytime I have to destroy weeks worth of records of where I was at a particular time and date. DO THEY JUST NOT GET IT or DO THEY JUST NOT CARE?

Seriously, what do we need to do to get them to fix these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    One other MAJOR annoyance as well as time-waster...when I convert an "All day" event to a "Timed" event, naturally setting the start time first, the end time is automatically set to the following day and/or the end time is set to something like xx:59, making the event duration off. Then when I fix it, the start time gets backed up to xx:59, meaning I then have to fix THAT TOO. Unbelievably poorly designed.
    I can confirm that this issue has been fixed in webOS 1.2. Still a long way to go in making the calendar right, but kudos to Palm for fixing this bug.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I have an issue my keyboard stooped working and I tried 3 restarts to no avail. then I tried for the 1st time and did a partial reset. I had my pre since JUly. ok so it starts working again but I noticed some of my calender events were missing? is there something wrong with the palm profile? cause I noticed those events missing
    Have you tried Evernote for notes / memos ? It is now available for the Pre:
    Evernote for Palm | Evernote Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Stillen_i30 View Post
    I fiddled with my girlfriend's iPhone calendar app and was impressed. However, her memo app blew, but it DID have the one and ONLY capability that I seriously would ask for at this moment in time...the ability to SYNC with the desktop! I type LONG and detailed memos that I use for work on a near-daily basis and now I find myself tryin to type in huge paragraphs of text with the rather incapable (in comparison to my treo 755p) keyboard.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I remain disappointed!

The calendar is a little faster since the 1.2.0 (and 1.2.1) update, but the tiny speed boost isn't enough to make the calendar "good" or even help it approach "worthwhile."

I live in the Eastern time zone and went to a conference this week in the Pacific time zone and was shocked how badly the Pre calendar handled the time zone change. I had a single, all day event marked for "Pre-conference" and then a 3-day-long all day event for the convention itself.

I put the phone in airplane mode in Atlanta (in the middle of the day, not overnight/midnight) and when I turned it back on in Las Vegas and the clock reset, it shifted all of my conference-related, all day events backward one day for no reason!!

The other colossally stupid thing the calendar does is that it shifts all kinds of events to different times, based on the time zone I was in when I created them. (So noon meetings show up in the calendar at 9am.)

Cool! So if YOU live in a time zone that's different from a zone you'll be traveling to for a meeting, you'll have to enter the wrong time based on how the calendar will shift the time when you travel.

This calendar is almost entirely worthless.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    If you go into the time/date app, you can select whether or not to use the network time zone. If you delect that then the Pre will still grab the current time but not use the time zone. You may get some alerts again that you already cancelled but your appointments won't shift.

As for the calendar in general I feel like the only thing they did right was getting multiple calendar to display in the day & week views. Here's my Top 11 List, Palm:

1) The monthly view is virtually unusable (I REALLY miss my event icons from DateBk). As someone who works an irregular schedule it was very nice to be able to look at the month view to see when I was working or any other major events.
    2) The alarm frequency is entirely inadequate. They basically duplicated the iPhone alarms which is also inadequate. Palm used to be the PIM leader. They need to go back to their roots in that regard. When I go to set an alert I should be shown a screen that lets me select a number from 0-99 and choose whether that is minutes, hours or days. Plain and simple.
    3) When I select the date for my event I should be shown a monthly calendar and when I select the day then I should be presented with the time selector, but they need to re-engineer that. The current slider methodology is far too cumbersome. It looks nice but it doesn't really work very well.
    4) Add a "New event" button.
    5) Allow me to creat an event that repeats on an irregular schedule. If you can't do that then PLEASE AT THE VERY LEAST allow me to copy and paste events. Sometimes I want to duplicate events without repeating them.
    6) Allow me to select the default view (which for me would be monthly).
    7) Fix the sync issues. I can't trust my calendar now. I'm sitting here looking at an event in my Pre which does not show up in Google. I've manually synced twice. That's unsatisfactory.
    8) When I create an event on my Pre, please stop automatically adding me as an attendee and making me acknowledge that when I view the event in Google. It's annoying and clutters up the view in Google. By the way I can't seem to delete myself as an attendee in Google either.
    9) In the weekly or daily view, please show more info from the notes field than just 1 or 2 lines if the screen real estate is available.
    10) In the monthly view, if you can't do icons then draw colored lines using the same logic as the weekly view. The gray is useless.
    11) Speed the damn thing up! It's so frustrating waiting and waiting for screens to load just so I can tell someone if I can make time they're asking about.

and last but certainly not least, engineer a way to allow third party applications to become trusted to create and read events from the calendar database so that we might get a decent 3rd party calendar program and save you all the effort of fixing the above issues.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    If you go into the time/date app, you can select whether or not to use the network time zone. If you delect that then the Pre will still grab the current time but not use the time zone. You may get some alerts again that you already cancelled but your appointments won't shift.
    Thanks Loogie! This seems to work. I tested it by manually changing time zones after switching Network Time Zone off. (what a pain!)

Why Palm's Time Zone Settings Are Bad:
    Forget the fact that this should be a calendar option available separately from the 'global system change,' the terms used by Palm to describe what's going on, and the "Help" description are both entirely worthless in this situation. Apparently you need a forum friend to clarify the REAL meaning of this particular Palm OS setting.

Another problem is the sad implementation of the time zone scrolling list. LOTS of tedious scrolling to get to the USA time zones.

Fortunately for me, this exercise has revealed even more problems with various all day events of mine, but I'll save that for another post. Thanks again.