Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Show All Day Events in Month View
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    One annoying tidbit with the calendar for me has been making new events. Not sure if this is a reception issue, but I have my Google Calendar set as my default. When making a new event, I use the back gesture to return to the Day view. After returning to the app in a few minutes, I see duplicates (sometimes up to 3) of the event I just entered, each with varying amounts of the info I just entered. Trying to delete them makes the app freeze up on tapping "delete event".

I have to close the app and reopen it to resolve the duplicates. Quite annoying.

Not to mention having a duplicate event in both the Palm Profile and my main Google Calendar. I wish that there was a way to hide the Palm Profile info and just use Google Calendar/Contacts.
    Folks - to speed up the calendar dramatically, try opening up a webpage and keeping it loaded in the background while working in the calendar... I'm telling ya - it works here big time!

Lee

PS: The calendar needs dramatic speed and usability enhancements anyway, but at least this is a speed workaround.
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    Folks - to speed up the calendar dramatically, try opening up a webpage and keeping it loaded in the background while working in the calendar... I'm telling ya - it works here big time!

Lee

PS: The calendar needs dramatic speed and usability enhancements anyway, but at least this is a speed workaround.
    I'll keep trying it later, but with my initial testing, it didn't seem any different to me.

Thanks anyway tho. I appreciate ANY ideas that might help. If somebody told me carrying a chicken foot in my pocket would improve calendar speed, I'd be headed to the farm...
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I'll keep trying it later, but with my initial testing, it didn't seem any different to me.

Thanks anyway tho. I appreciate ANY ideas that might help. If somebody told me carrying a chicken foot in my pocket would improve calendar speed, I'd be headed to the farm...
    I hear ya... I'm going to grab my wife (okay folks, calm down) and ask her to grab her Flip video recorder so that I can record and demo this phenomenae for y'all.... it is dramatic for me and something is definitely different if not everyone experiences this... I wasn't the one who discovered it either, it was posted in another thread and when I tested it, voila..

Just make sure the Webpage is completely loaded (not the launch page) and still running in the background, don't just load a page and then exit the browser.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    PALM LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CALENDAR APP SHOULD BE YOUR #1 PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This whole phone and OS gets a black eye from my standpoint because of how bad the calendar is. I have used palm for 12 years, just look at ANY of your old devices and make this calendar AT LEAST AS FUNCTIONAL - IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just sooooooooo upset about this, it's too late to take the phone back, I signed a new 2yr contract and traded in my centro. So now my only option to have a functional calendar is to pay more $$$$$.

WHY IS THE CALENDAR SOOOO SLOW??? Is everything stored just online?? I would think it could be stored on the phone and update periodically, this way when you press a day it would be instant (just like the palms have been for 12 years). PALM..... Take ANY old palm product, click on a day view, then flip day by day... See how fast it is??? Now try this with your fancy new Pre, you get it???

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you (a very frustrated pre user)
    Good emotion dude! Let it out! Hopefully they address this soon.
    Has anyone heard anything about official calendar improvements in 1.2?
    Today's WebOS calendar frustration:

I created an event that repeats every Wednesday for the next 8 weeks. When it came time to enter the end date, WebOS presents me with... you guessed it, a date scroll wheel. I had to consult a paper calendar to look up the date for the Wednesday 8 weeks from next Wednesday. (It's Nov 11, in case you also need to know.) Didn't anyone on the WebOS development team own a previous PalmOS device?? Who signed off on the calendar app at Palm? This is getting harder to defend, let alone understand, every passing day.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    As I've already detailed in various threads, like in this post...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1893382

the webOS calendar is the worst calendar available on a smartphone from a "leading" smartphone maker. Here's yet another example of how terrible the calendar is...

I get paid every other Friday. I put a repeating, untimed event in my calendar. I don't remember if I entered it on my Pre or on Google calendars originally, but in October, my Pre shows one of my paydays occurring on a Saturday! Essentially I have a repeating event that shows up correctly every other Friday on my Google calendar, but for some reason, the Pre thinks I shouldn't get paid until Saturday!

This one repeating event is ALWAYS right on my Google calendar, but for some TOTALLY UNKNOWN REASON, the Pre calendar moves Payday to a Saturday whenever the heck it feels like!!! It did it in October, then again next March, then April, then twice in a row the following March (2011)!! It just periodically does this with no rhyme or reason.

I even deleted the event entirely, synced, checked that it was gone from Google and Pre calendars, recreated it on my Google calendar and... it works FINE on the Google calendar online but is SCREWED UP and periodically on a Saturday on the Pre calendar.

What an amazingly unreliable piece of programming JUNK!!!!
    This is probably the number one reason I am holding out on getting one of these. And I really want one.
    I agree with all those clamoring for datebook to make an appearance on webos.

That being said with homebrews, the built-in calendar has almost (unfortunately not entirely yet) been put to pasture for the time being. With the app combo of Agenda and Quick Event: the load times are much faster, events are much easier to view, and it's easy and fast to put in new events
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm weird, but I have no real problems with the calendar except for the lack of a search function. It seems pretty quick to me. I have 6 Google calendars on my phone.
    When I flip from day to day I see the day's entries right away, although it takes about 2 seconds before I can do anything on it. Seeing the entries right away is mostly what I want to be able to do and waiting 2 seconds to make or change entries doesn't seem like much of a wait to me.

I have done several repeating events both on my Pre and on Google and none of them have any errors, even going out over a year, so I can't comment on that problem.

I'll admit I would like the month view to be a little better, but I think that will come soon.

I wasn't all that happy with the native datebook on my Treo. It had a lot of limitations as well. I used Datebook 6 and would buy it again if it came out for the Pre. Meanwhile, I'm as happy with the current calendar as I was with the native Treo calendar (except for search).
    I actually would rather that Palm just fixed the lag on the day view, and use that as a detailed agenda. I believe that was the intention, and it would have worked if there wasn't a lag.

If the user can swipe quickly between day views, it's the same as scrolling smoothly through an agenda list, but offering more detailed information.

To larnapp: please report this on Palm's support forums. If the mods and Palm reps there manage to reproduce the issue, they make sure it goes into Palm's bug database. I've sent a few bugs to Palm that way.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post

I created an event that repeats every Wednesday for the next 8 weeks. When it came time to enter the end date, WebOS presents me with... you guessed it, a date scroll wheel. I had to consult a paper calendar to look up the date for the Wednesday 8 weeks from next Wednesday. (It's Nov 11, in case you also need to know.) Didn't anyone on the WebOS development team own a previous PalmOS device?? Who signed off on the calendar app at Palm? This is getting harder to defend, let alone understand, every passing day.
    It looks like all the original Palm software engineers (and the Palm mojo) are long gone, now replaced by former Apple employees, who started from scratch trying to reinvent the wheel. If 1.2 doesn't FIX the calendar and other shortcomings, I'll be jumping ship ASAP. Each day, I'm more convinced that Jon R and gang are more interested in Wall Street, than addressing the issues. The embarassing lack of hands of Pre owners at the Engadget interview said it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post

As I've alluded to above, this is among my biggest frustrations. I HATE that I can no longer (after years of PalmOS) visually see a calendar when I am choosing dates. This is so helpful when looking for a particular date in the future. Scrolling through a list of numbers is absolutely worthless! Furthermore, when I am in the day view and want to jump a week ahead, or directly from Monday to Thursday, for example, I can't. To find a future date, I have to either switch to the week view or the month view and then choose.

Palm, I (we?) love you but PLEEEEEAAAASE make the Pre calendar at least as functional as the old PlamOS calendar. For crying out loud, the reason for a smartphone is to have your phone and PDA all in one, but if the PIM side of the phone is this weak, we've all got serious problems.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    It looks like all the original Palm software engineers (and the Palm mojo) are long gone, now replaced by former Apple employees, who started from scratch trying to reinvent the wheel. If 1.2 doesn't FIX the calendar and other shortcomings, I'll be jumping ship ASAP. Each day, I'm more convinced that Jon R and gang are more interested in Wall Street, than addressing the issues. The embarassing lack of hands of Pre owners at the Engadget interview said it all!
    Even if all the old developers are gone, the new ones certainly could have looked at how other calendar programs worked before creating there own. But it's like they deliberately ignored the best of breed, and tried to do it on their own, without any input from real calendar users. As if they thought they were smarter than everyone else. (Gee, does that sound like Apple?)

None of the leaks about 1.2 have mentioned the calendar at all. What will you be jumping ship to? Personally, I'll be sticking with my P-OS Treo until Palm, or someone else, gets the calendar right. With Datebk 6, my Treo is a far superior time management device than the Pre. If someone other than Palm gets it right first, I'll buy my first non-Palm device in like 10 years.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 09/20/2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Even if all the old developers are gone, the new ones certainly could have looked at how other calendar programs worked before creating there own. But it's like they deliberately ignored the best of breed, and tried to do it on their own, without any input from real calendar users. As if they thought they were smarter than everyone else. (Gee, does that sound like Apple?)

None of the leaks about 1.2 have mentioned the calendar at all. What will you be jumping ship to? Personally, I'll be sticking with my P-OS Treo until Palm, or someone else, gets the calendar right. With Datebk 6, my Treo is a far superior time management device than the Pre. If someone other than Palm gets it right first, I'll buy my first non-Palm device in like 10 years.
    Mostly same engineers but direction is different.

There are no good alternatives. Blackberry is one but other than PIM it sucks and I now expect more. Android has a slightly better calendar, no lag and has agenda but event entry sucks just the same. iPhone is a non-starter, have no idea about Nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucfpaul View Post
    PALM LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CALENDAR APP SHOULD BE YOUR #1 PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This whole phone and OS gets a black eye from my standpoint because of how bad the calendar is. I have used palm for 12 years, just look at ANY of your old devices and make this calendar AT LEAST AS FUNCTIONAL - IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just sooooooooo upset about this, it's too late to take the phone back, I signed a new 2yr contract and traded in my centro. So now my only option to have a functional calendar is to pay more $$$$$.

WHY IS THE CALENDAR SOOOO SLOW??? Is everything stored just online?? I would think it could be stored on the phone and update periodically, this way when you press a day it would be instant (just like the palms have been for 12 years). PALM..... Take ANY old palm product, click on a day view, then flip day by day... See how fast it is??? Now try this with your fancy new Pre, you get it???

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you (a very frustrated pre user)
    Absolutely right on about the calendar.

Memos app needs to be greatly improved as well. Needs the ability to categorize memos into folders.

How is this supposed to organize and simplify your life if it is so cumbersome to use the PIM features?

It's puzzling.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Indeed it did!
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast