Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I paid $28 for datebk for palm and would GLADLY pay that or more for a webos version!
    the color coding is a definite plus if we had it..
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
    I didnt feel like reading the entire thread, but is it just me or does Google Made events
    NOT show up in the Pre Calendar Month view. Only Events created on the pre show up on the month view. Anyone else??
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornbr View Post
    I have been a Palm fan since I owned one of the originals and used it as my daily planner. No e-mail, no phone, no camera, no music player, pretty much just a daily planner, cantact list, and some apps for work.

I LOVE my pre and switched from my Palm Centro.

I MISS the calendar.

I don't know if anyone else feels this strongly about it but thought I would start a thread about some of the functionallity that I and maybe others miss in the hopes that it might get noticed.

Things I Miss From The Old Calander That The New Calendar Is Lacking
    1. Colored Catagories that show up in the month view. I use my calander a lot and it pretty much just all looks grey. Good luck finding that last appt. date.
    2. The Alarm. Setting an alarm for certain events is a nescessity for someone like me with the lack of a memory like me.
    3. Editing the time of the reminder or alarm. Sometimes I need to know I need to get somewhere with more than 1 hour advanced notice. My next choise is 1 day. I will have forgotten the appointment 3 times in the time in between the reminder and the appt.
    4. Setting the default view from day to week or month. Although the month view isn't as functional to me now that I cant differentiate between the types of appointments in my gray mass of a calander.

Now that I look at the list it doesn't seem like that much, but it makes a world of difference to my planning abillities. I wish I had a memory.

UPDATE: 7/30/09

Some of the other Wants wishes and complaints from the comments.

- Searching. Search, copy result, paste into a text message would be awesome.
    - Adding people to meetings
    - Have a 12 month calendar view
    - Being able to sync events to more than one calendar independently of each other
    - Having an actual monthly calendar view when setting an appointment's date, instead of the scroll menus for the month, day and year
    - Speed improvements when swiping from day to day. Event entry and navigation are too slow.
    - Add participants to events I create in any calendar on the phone
    - Allowed you to view details in a week-view
    - Search for contacts and add them to the calendar
    - Send calendar invites out to contacts
    - If you have the all day check box checked the event does not show up in the calendar.

Post any other calander complaints or work arounds here and lets see if they can make a difference. I would even settle for a calander app that just brings back functions of the old calander. Please
    Thanks for starting this -- I am about to give up on the Pre over the calendar issues I have. I agree with all of your complaints, but my biggest one is that if I modify an event or add an event, I can't get the calendar to show up at all for anywhere from two to twenty minutes! In other words, all I can see is a blank calendar -- I don't know if it's frozen trying to "synch" with my Google calendar or what. Does anyone else have this problem?

Re: reminders - yes, how difficult would it be to have a few other options between one hour & one day -- or even week or month?

And speaking of setting a new event -- when why can't you see the day of the week when you select the date of the event?! I have to look a different calendar so I can see what the date is for Tuesday five weeks from now, for example!.

I could go on & on, but don't have time as I've already spent hours & hours with the "experts" at the sprint store trying to fix my "frozen" calendar issue (I'm on my fourth one as a matter of fact).

As one poster said "I really wanted to like the Pre." The concept is great, but the execution is terrible!
    And how about just being able to forward a text message!!! How lame is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    Well, I am a pre wannabe. I am using a centro with Datebk6, which is the best calendar product I have ever used. I use a smartphone for the phone, and PIM features. Everything else such as web, music, camera etc. are not important to me. The feature I need with the webOS calendar is templating. I enter 50-60 items at a time when I put in my monthly calendar while looking at a chalk board. With Datebk6 there is a wonderful feature whereby you can make a new calendar entry, make it a template, and then the next time you need to enter the same thing, it is a few taps away. Just magic. This is what I need from the Pre. I suspect that is a long ways away...
    Hi - I would recommend waiting on a getting a Pre. They are such a long way off for any heavy-duty (or even medium-duty) calendar user! I, too, rely completely on my ability to enter calendar events from my phone as well as from the desktop. Yes, there are work arounds such as entering everything from within Google, but then what's the point of having the Pre's calendar?! I might as well just access Google from a pda phone that doesn't have so many bugs & lacks so much sophistication in the basic pda apps?
    I don't get some of these complaints. The Pre calendar DOES have an alarm. It does allow color coating if make a calendar for personal, business, etc. It does have an alarm. It does allow you to choose when you'll be notified.

It ain't perfect but let's criticize it's actual shortcomings.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    That's true, but the colors displayed on the Pre are DIFFERENT than those displayed in Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    The "multi color google calendars" solution is a nice temporary fix, but something that should never have been necessary. We also need colors (or icons) in the Monthly view, and, most importantly, a monthly (or weekly) pop-up view for changing appt days, as well as significant speed improvements when swiping from day to day. Right now I'm having to jot paper notes, and transcribe them onto my Pre when I have the necessary few mins. No busy professional in their right mind would stick with the Pre if Palm can't deliver such basic PDA functions. 3rd party developers can expand on those basic functions, but I'll be d*mned if I'm going to have to pay for every basic function my Treo had from Day 1. C'mon Palm, at least tell us you're working on these issues!
    Ditto to everything -- what a turn for the worse, right. I'm currently experimenting with just using Google calendar online while I fight it out with Sprint to return this almost useless pda.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDramaMama View Post
    I had an old Sony Clie that ran PalmOS and it's calendar was BETTER than the Pres!! I am now a stay home Mom and I don't need the full functionality of a business calendar so much, but I'd be ticked if I did. I resent strongly that I am forced to use Google Calendars if I want to color code my stuff. I use Outlook exclusively on my computer for my calendar and have been using PocketMirror to synch and it really does work beautifully, but now they just started charging for it. I went on and bought it because it's working for me and I only need to synch with one computer. But if you wanted to sync between a home PC and your phone, and then go into work and sync w/ the calendar there as well, that won't work, because it only lets you sync to one computer. So either way, you can't win, really.

The crappy (IMO) Calendar on my old BB Curve was better than this, too.
    Wow, an old Clie user!! I had one also and its calendar was amazing. I could search a keyword over several years and the results would pop up literally immediately. I haven't seen anything near that fast since the Clie. Too bad it didn't make phone calls or browse the net or I'd still be using it!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Any news on the WebOS update front on fixing these issues w/ the Calendar?

I whole-heartedly feel everyone's pain. I think Palm lost a lot of that special something that made using their PDA's such a "zen" user experience. Perhaps much of that talent left when the new regime came in with their Apple-mindset of simplicity/design over functionality. For me, it's all about productivity & managing my life efficiently (i.e. with as few taps/keystrokes & as quickly as possible) Cute iPhone-esque gee-whiz apps are not why loyal Palm users like us stuck it out for so long & waited for the Pre.

So here's hoping Palm (& 3rd party developers) get their groove back & give us the things that grown-ups need in a smartphone:

- MS Office doc editing software (where you at DataViz?)
    - Decent Tasks application
    - DateBk-like Calendar
    - & a bag of Funions

I'd really hate to bolt for Bb or Android as I don't know if either of those platforms can offer us what we had with our OS5 devices. But the Pre is such a ways off (with a much smaller developer base now) it makes me wonder if we'll ever get there.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Liz is Spot on if you go to Google calendar online you can create seperate calendars, Assign diff. colors, ectt. Works fine for me I prefer inputting Calendar events on my desktop
    Yeah, but what's the use of having a calendar on the Pre that you can't search or have difficulty editing. The whole point of having a device like this is the convenience of having things like your calendar with you wherever you go. Having to use another app whether on a desktop or in the browser to schedule appointments just doesn't make sense and seems really inconvenient. I am really surprised that Palm did it this way. I mean they've been doing this for years! C'mon!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Palm's inattention to the calendar is disappointing, and also kind of surprising, since they've emphasized the calendar so much in their ad campaigns, and stressed the ability of the Pre to act as an organizing device to make everything "flow."

It's so frustrating, since we know Palm knows how to make a really great calendar--they've done it in the past--and we've seen them stress the Pre as a sort of super-planner to make scheduling easy, and yet they haven't really given the calendar the detailed attention it needs to live up to their own promises.
    In addition to most of the other suggestions listed here, I would add that the date and time pickers are totally awful and need redesigning. After 14 years with a PalmOS device, I totally miss the simplicity of seeing a monthly calendar pop up, from which I could simply tap a date. To have to tap the month, scroll to the month I want, tap it, then tap the day, scroll to the day I want (through 30 options!), tap the day, and then repeat for the year in some cases is an ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS WASTE OF TIME (which takes even more time if you mistakenly tap the wrong choice at first).

Not only is the time picker similarly lame, the fact that I can only choose 5 minute increments is terrible, as is the sorry few choices I cam given for a reminder. And then to not even have a snooze feature? C'mon, Palm, this calendar's FUNCTIONALITY (the look is nice in many ways) is a step backwards.

One other MAJOR annoyance as well as time-waster...when I convert an "All day" event to a "Timed" event, naturally setting the start time first, the end time is automatically set to the following day and/or the end time is set to something like xx:59, making the event duration off. Then when I fix it, the start time gets backed up to xx:59, meaning I then have to fix THAT TOO. Unbelievably poorly designed.

My two cents...

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    In addition to most of the other suggestions listed here, I would add that the date and time pickers are totally awful and need redesigning. After 14 years with a PalmOS device, I totally miss the simplicity of seeing a monthly calendar pop up, from which I could simply tap a date. To have to tap the month, scroll to the month I want, tap it, then tap the day, scroll to the day I want (through 30 options!), tap the day, and then repeat for the year in some cases is an ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS WASTE OF TIME (which takes even more time if you mistakenly tap the wrong choice at first).

Not only is the time picker similarly lame, the fact that I can only choose 5 minute increments is terrible, as is the sorry few choices I cam given for a reminder. And then to not even have a snooze feature? C'mon, Palm, this calendar's FUNCTIONALITY (the look is nice in many ways) is a step backwards.

One other MAJOR annoyance as well as time-waster...when I convert an "All day" event to a "Timed" event, naturally setting the start time first, the end time is automatically set to the following day and/or the end time is set to something like xx:59, making the event duration off. Then when I fix it, the start time gets backed up to xx:59, meaning I then have to fix THAT TOO. Unbelievably poorly designed.
    ME
    I'm glad to see more people are voicing their concerns over the pre's calendar app. Your comments are the same complaints I have with the calendar. Changing a scheduled event to another day in the future requires the use of a separate calendar unless you have all the days of the week memorized. I thought I was the only one who noticed that major flaw in changing a all day event to a time event. That is defintately needs fixing asap.

BTW - I tried to post this comment on my pre but since your original post was too long it was taking forever to move the cursor to the bottom of paragraph so I had to use my desktop.
    Once again, this is where the old Palm applications had a huge advantage over this weak calendar application.

I have a student that I teach at 6:00 on Tuesday nights for all of the foreseeable future. So I made an entry at 6:00 Tuesday nights with the repeating option set to weekly.

The student needed to change to Monday at 6:30 (permanantly)....easy to do, right? Au contrare my friends! I touch the existing event on the Pre it brings up the event so I can edit. I change the date to the previous Monday, and the time to 6:30. It asks me if I wish to change the whole series, this event only, or delete changes. I choose change the whole series. To me, that means it will change all those 6:00 Tuesday lessons to 6:30 Monday lessons. NOPE.

Instead, it just changes the one to Monday at 6:30 and leaves all the future ones on Tuesday, but at 6:30....???!!!??? WTH? My only solution is to delete the series. You would think "OK, just delete the Tuesday series"......once again, no. Touch the Tuesday entry, choose delete event, it asks the same questions as before, I choose entire series and it deletes the Tuesday series AND the single Monday entry it created. So the only way to circumvent all this stupidity (BTW on a very sluggish program), is to just delete the event in the first place (there goes your history of the event) and create a new repeating event. This is an unacceptable lack of flexibility.

I thought to myself initially, I guess I can learn to live with it. On my old Treo, and even earlier Palm devices, I could tell you what night of the week and what time I was teaching any given student 5 years back. This new calendar makes it impossible to know what time I was teaching a student one month ago (or even yesterday), because it forces me to destroy those old calendar entries just to change a time. (Besides, deleting old calendar entries takes awy all of my alibis...... )

Palm, if you're paying attention, PLEASE BRING BACK the old format of "change this event only", "this and all future occurrences" , and "all occurrences". Lord, how I miss those buttons. I consider the lack of this functionality to be a colossal failure on their part. Shame on Palm.
    Here are the steps I went through to edit an all-day event -- I needed to set a specific time and duration for the event.

1. Open Calendar
    2. Tap Month view
    3. Tap the day (9/19/09)
    4. Tap the event
    5. Tap the date/time field
    6. Tap the "All day event" checkbox to uncheck it (Start defaults to 12am, End defaults to 11:59pm)
    7. Tap the start hour field, open the slider, and type "6"
    8. Tap the AM/PM field and type "P"
    9. Tap the screen and scroll up (End has changed to 5:59pm on the next day)
    10. Tap the end hour field, and type "9"
    11. The event is now 1 day, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds long. Tap the end day field to change it back to the current day.
    12. Tap the end minutes field and type "0" (the event is supposed to be 3 hours long)
    13. Check to see if the start time has changed from 6pm to 5:59pm. If so, tap on the start hour and start time to correct it. If the end time changes to 8:59pm, correct that too. (This appears to happen randomly.)

Twelve separate steps, and sometimes thirteen, just to set a time and duration for an event I've already created. Ridiculous. What good is a pretty interface if it slows you down and introduces unnecessary steps or errors? I don't bother with the silly "scroll wheels" to set the day and time because using them is too fiddly and inaccurate. It's faster to just open the slider and type it.