Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I have also been VERY disappointed in the Pre’s Calendar and Task List Applications. I have been using the Palm OS Calendar and Task List since the days of the Palm Personal. I have depended on certain basics, and speed, from the Calendar and Task List Applications. I realize the Pre uses a new operating system, but I expected the basic Palm Calendar and Task List functions and options/preferences to remain available. And the speed, COULD THESE PROGRAMS POSSIBLY BE ANY SLOWER?

When I transferred my data from my Palm TX and tried to use the Calendar I thought the Pre had locked up! It took over 5 MINUTES to go from day one day to the next, or to “edit” an appointment! The first thing I did was delete my Google Calendar and go strictly with the “onboard” data, thinking that the internet connection was the big slow down. I had approximately a dozen “Repeat Forever” calendar entries. I changed all them to Repeat until 2015. That bought me a few minutes, so I changed them to Repeat until 1/1/2010. Now it only takes 30-45 seconds to move from day to day, or “edit” an appointment. If I need to make new appointments, or changes to existing appointments quickly. I write the changes on a piece of paper, or enter them on my Palm TX, with it’s wonked up digitizer, until I have an extended amount of time to enter the changes in my Pre. I didn’t migrate to a Pre, because I wanted to keep using my TX!

What at the basics that the Calendar Program needs:
    • Faster, Faster, Faster, have I mentioned the program needs to be FASTER!!
    • Add a month view when setting the Calendar date. I don’t like moving a appointment to next Tuesday, only to have to look-up next Tuesday in the monthly view so I can see what “day” I have to move it to.
    • Fix the “Repeating Forever” appointments.
    • Keep the fixed Reminder times, but add a User Input variable Reminder time.
    • Appointment Notifications, what happened to the “Remind Me” xx times, and “Play Every” xx minutes? If I don’t Dismiss or Snooze an Appointment Notification that means I missed it, Notify me AGAIN!
    • Add the Calendar to the Universal Search.
    • Add an “Agenda” view. At a glance I want to see Today’s Appointments and the Tasks that are due.
    "Add the calendar to the Univesal Search". I can't believe palm did not include ths feature. This is a MUST have, I probably use it more than searching through email function on my old treo.
    I want Universal Search on my Calendar, Alarms, and some way other than Outlook or Google to sync. I can switch to Outlook, but why make it incompatible with all of my previous info?
    Isn't it funny how the Palm OS Find feature was much more "universal"?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    My complaint with the calendar is that mine is painfully slow. It often takes 25-60s to load the day's event when I first open it. There is usually a 3-5s delay as I swipe from day to day. This is virtually unusable. I'm on hold with Palm right now as I type this. Has anyone else run into this. I saw there were several complaints about this same thing on other forums when the phone was first released. BTW, I've had this problem since launch date. I'd hoped subsequent updates might fix the problem but no such luck.
    New exchange calendar items disappear shortly after they are entered on Pre. New calendar events entered in outlook sync to Pre OK. Seemed to be working until I imported memos from my Palm Desktop and calendar items also were updated. What am I missing? Can I deleted the Palm Profile from my calendar accounts? Thanks, Richard
    I'm wondering if they are planning on the 3rd party devs to make a good calendar.
    My 30- day trial ends in a couple of weeks. If the basic PDA functions are still broken by then and there is no assurance from Palm that a fix is on the way, I will be returning the Pre. I really don't need an iPalm. I need a Palm PDA. Are you listening, Podfather?
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I'd really like to see an app that brings up a quick view of the calendar with just a listing of appointments for the next 7 days (variable). Kind of like SBSH Pocket Breeze for Windows Mobile.

Essentially, all I want is a quick pop up of the upcoming events without having to load the full calendar app.

I'm hoping a homebrewer will come up with something like that.
    Is the calendar issue getting any better? I'm a long time Palm guy (600p, 700p, Centro) on the fence about the Pre.

I live and die by Outlook for work (calendar & email, but no tasks).

I use gmail & yahoo mail, but I like to keep them separate.

Not sure whether or not I can do that.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arc918 View Post
    Is the calendar issue getting any better? I'm a long time Palm guy (600p, 700p, Centro) on the fence about the Pre.

I live and die by Outlook for work (calendar & email, but no tasks).

I use gmail & yahoo mail, but I like to keep them separate.

Not sure whether or not I can do that.
    No...the calendar is absolutely horrible if you're coming from an older Palm device. There are way too many problems to list (noted in several posts). I also live and die by my calendar, and starting June 6th, my calendar is full of "lies" because it truly doesn't represent everything that has happened with regards to events, meetings, etc.

What is GREAT about the calendar though is how it combines various accounts into one view (Google, Exchange, etc.), and you can select a view to show only one of the various calendars (e.g. Exchange at work) if you want. So for your Exchange account at work, it's great because it shows all appointments in your work Outlook calendar. BUT...it's donkey slow no matter what calendar you TRY to pull up on the device. I can't tell you how many times I run into a conference room for a meeting, try to pull up the meeting invite on my Pre to get the meeting dial-in number and pass code, and sit there for MINUTES before it finally appears, at which point I am then late for the meeting. Happens ALL the time...so I try to write down ON A PIECE OF PAPER the dial-in and pass code in case the Pre is too slow, which it is about 90% of the time. Absolutely unacceptable. Sorry to be so negative here, but this is all true, and I'm not the only one. I was blazing fast with my Centro before the Pre with looking at my calendar and pulling up the meeting invites, etc. NEVER EVER a problem...everything was spot on with recurring events, etc. The Pre has so many problems with the calendar. Okay...moving on... (meditating to calm myself...)

With regards to Outlook, as I said above, it's a replica of what you have in Outlook...so that's a good thing. It's just slooooooow to pull up (take a bathroom break, make a pot of coffee, play a hand of solitaire, knit a sock). I haven't tried to create any events though for Outlook and/or accept/reject meeting invites, so I have nothing to offer here with regards to those items. I wait until I get back to my desk to do those things because I just don't trust the Pre with the Calendar at all. For Outlook email, no problems...it works pretty well and is fast. Not as good as Chattermail (man I miss that program...), but good enough and I think you will find it to be acceptable.

Gmail works good and in the same way as Outlook email...again, I miss Chattermail, but it works pretty well. Just don't expect anything with regards to labels, trash vs. archive (you can choose one or the other with the settings, but not both), etc. We need a dedicated Gmail app to properly handle those types of things. For Yahoo, that would just be another account to setup in the email application and I'm sure that will work just as well as Gmail...probably a bit better since it doesn't have labels and such like Gmail. Both accounts will be kept separate. The notifications for emails works pretty well...along with SMS. That is one of my favorite things about the Pre...all the cool unobtrusive notifications at the bottom of the screen.

So...advice? Well...go get the Pre. I hate the calendar (too strong?)...ok, STRONGLY DISLIKE the calendar (better?)...but I'm working around it for the time being by using Palm Desktop at work along with CompanionLink for Google. It's definitely a learning curve though knowing what you can and can't do to NOT f-up your data. You WILL get frustrated and WILL f-up your calendar data for weeks on end until you see and understand all the quirks (and there are many) with this kind of setup. The Pre is just too cool of a phone to not have for all of the other features. It may not sound like it, but I do love this phone...and I think you will too. Just go into it knowing the calendar is not dependable or very usable and try to use a desktop solution (and a pad of paper and pen at all times) until something better comes along for the calendar function (or until Palm and Google gets their act together and fix such a key part of any smartphone...especially a PALM device!).

PEACE
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I am a Sales Rep that covers 2 states. All my previous Palms and Treos allowed me the capability to show detailed weekly, and later 2 week detailed views. The Pre lacks this very basic function. I can't even tell what area of the state I will be in at any particular week by just looking a a green bar. And when I touch it it jumps me to day view. Day views are for extra details and notes, but weekly calendars are better for planning if you travel at all. Going back and forth from day to week is a real pain.
    Either Palm or some third party need to improve this calendar because as it stand now it is the most basic and useless one I have ever used on a Palm product.
    I really miss the "change this and all future occurrences" option that I had for calendar events that I was attempting to change on my Treo. I am ready to scream about this horrible calendar. It's as if they never saw one of their previous products. Simply the worst calendar application I have ever witnessed on a Palm device.

Seriously, where can one complain directly to Palm about this? My schedule is an absolute mess and it makes my head hurt to try to figure this thing out.....and my attempts to do so have not been fruitful.

We have to do something.....I feel conned.

While we're at it, why no multiple select feature when you want to delete emails? And do I really have to forever slide out the QWERTY keyboard just to speed dial?

By the way, did I mention that the calendar application BLOWS?!!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djazzbass View Post
    I really miss the "change this and all future occurrences" option that I had for calendar events
    +1!!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    It's as if they never saw one of their previous products.
    I'm as utterly mystified by this as the rest of you. If my appointments all consisted of 1 hour lunches with (fill in the blank) at a location that GoogleMaps can find, the calendar app would be great. But anything more complicated than that -- which really means common business scenarios -- and the calendar app either can't do it or mangles it. Every PalmOS device ever created (Palm, Handspring, Sony, etc) has been able to handle calendar events with ease, speed, and reliability. In this respect, WebOS is a HUGE disappointment.

If you live and die by your calendar and you use a Treo or Centro, you may want to wait to see if Palm rewrites the calendar app before switching.