Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    another is the basic speed dial. Gone from palm os. Would be nice to have them underneath the dialer. Would take just a little flick. Bring up the dialer and a little flick up shows them. Or maybe a flick up in the gesture are from home could bring up speed dials or extend the quick launch page. Don't think a flick up from home does anything.
    Thank you!! You've just perfectly exemplified my point.

First of all, what you describe was not a "speed dialer", it was a "favorites". It could not only be used to dial, but could be used to map other functions as well (calling other applications, shortcuts to web pages, etc).

That said, why should that be part of a "dialer"? Why should my phone dialer have shortcuts to webpages or other applications? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just wondering why it's considered "basic"?

Truth is, it's not. And that type of functionality is still prsent, it's just done a different way:

Treo Way
    • (You must have already set up the favorite)
    • From the dialer chose the Favorites
    • Change to the page (if necessary) that has the favorite you want to access
    • Click on the favorite you want

Pre Way
    • (You must have already set up the shortcut)
    • From the dialer slide up to access the quick launcher, and select the launcher button on the right
    • Change to the page (if necessary) that has the shortcut you want to access
    • Click on the shortcut you want

Neither one is right, and "better" is purely subjective. The Pre maintained that basic functionality, just in a different way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwy62 View Post
    I have been using Datebk6p for some time under Classic. With WebOS 1.3.1 Classic has become less stable. Sometimes opening Datebk6p within Classic causes a restart of the pre. Other times it is fine. If you use goosync (goosync.com) to synchronize your Datebk6 calendar with Google, you can synchronize with the Pre Calendar program. So the bottom line is that you get all the functionalilty of Datebk6, but it is less stable than it was on the Treo.
    Can you explain how Goosync works? It looks like you run it in Classic.

Is anyone running PocketMirror to Sync Datebk6 with Outlook?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    So I made a reminder (appt) to call my credit union for my last car payment. I wanted to add the phone number so that when the reminder came up all I had to do was tap on the phone number to dial. Problem is I have to open contacts, tap edit, tap into the number, select the number, copy the number, close contacts, open calendar, find the appt, edit the appt, paste the number, save the appt, close calendar. Anyone out there feeling patchy?
    I'm sure this has been mentioned in the many pages but i'll mention it anyways.... where's the contact picture sync funtionality?!?!?
    Actually WebOs's calendar is a big joke!
    I have been using Windows Mobile and iPhones and made the switch to WebOS last October and the calendar has been a big disappointment. Here is a list of things missing:
    • Ability to invite attendees and lookup free/busy times if on Exchange!
    • Week View should not only display blocks for all appointments but also appointment text and location
    • Month View should have an option to display mini text
    • Ability to create multiple alarms for an appointment
    • Support for multiple time zones
    • Ability to create templates
    • Locations should be saved in a list. When entering new appointments this list should automatically appear
    • Ability to attach files on appointments
    • ability to link with contacts/other appointments & tasks
    • All day events should appear in month view (I know there is a patch for that but Palm should provide that functionality!!!)
    • Support for Exchange Categories (that goes for tasks and contacts too)
    • Performance is very bad. It should become a zillion times faster!

I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    I would settle for just having "all day events in month view" in a different format, such as changing the color of the number or adding a dot somewhere in the square. The current patch obscures any individual events which occur the same day.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    As a new user I have a few questions. What the heck does PIM stand for? What apps should I look for to get my wife up and running with the Pre calendar? She and I are both coming from Centros but she is the heavy duty calendar user and I am not. I've heard of so many issues it is making my head spin. All I know is she doesn't like the Pre calendar and I'd like to be able to help her get it up and running. where can I find at least a tutorial on how to use the current Pre calendar?

Has Palm fixed any of the calendar issues since the launch? Have they done anything in any of the updates to make the calendar more like the old school Palm stuff?
    Can the OP add to their list the ability to make an appointment "private". This is really important and is offered on all major calendaring programs, except phone apps.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slocumrd2008 View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned in the many pages but i'll mention it anyways.... where's the contact picture sync funtionality?!?!?
    I don't understand the question. The contact picture will sync with Google and Exchange (2 way) as well as FaceBook and LinkedIn (one way, pulls down from the service).
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvanjr View Post
    As a new user I have a few questions. What the heck does PIM stand for?
    Personal Information Manager - An electronic or manual method of managing contact lists, to do items, calendar events, etc.

What apps should I look for to get my wife up and running with the Pre calendar? She and I are both coming from Centros but she is the heavy duty calendar user and I am not. I've heard of so many issues it is making my head spin. All I know is she doesn't like the Pre calendar and I'd like to be able to help her get it up and running. where can I find at least a tutorial on how to use the current Pre calendar?
    Start with the HELP application on the device. There is also an application you can download for free from the App Catalog that has video demos on use.

I would recommend adding PreWare so you can add patches and HomeBrew. I use Quick Event and Agenda to supplement my calendar. Both are excellent addons. Agenda shows all events in all Calendars for a set number of days. I normally use it instead of the actual Calendar app for viewing. Quick Even allows you to use shortcut commands to more quickly add an event.

Has Palm fixed any of the calendar issues since the launch?
    Yes, but too many to mention. The more prominent ones are:
    The fixed several Exchange issues as they arose
    In the last update, 1.3.5.1, the sped up scrolling between days.
    Have they done anything in any of the updates to make the calendar more like the old school Palm stuff?
    Not really, and probably not likely. One of the biggest problems with that is the user interface one the PalmOS was designed to be controlled with a stylus, and the WebOS is designed to be controlled using your finger. Thus, buttons, links, options, etc are much larger.

Also, 1.4 is supposed to have some added functionality to the Calendar app, but Palm hasn't been specific.
    Let me clarify..... I don't use exchange due to various issues. I use google sync to sync my calender and contacts from my work Outlook to my phone. My Outlook contacts have pictures associated with many contacts which do not show up in my google contacts. This feature has somehow been overlooked.
    Palm M100 => Treo 700P => Palm Centro => Palm Pre Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Slocumrd2008 View Post
    Let me clarify..... I don't use exchange due to various issues. I use google sync to sync my calender and contacts from my work Outlook to my phone. My Outlook contacts have pictures associated with many contacts which do not show up in my google contacts. This feature has somehow been overlooked.
    Just to be sure, you understand that's not a Pre issue, it's a Google issue. Wrong forum, but my suspicion is that there's little incentive for Google and Outlook to "play nice".

Updating the pictures on Google is not that difficult though. Don't know how many contact photos you have, but the interface for Google is pretty easy to navigate. Once you have them in Google, they will syncronize down to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips. I need to do some more research for sure. I tried adding a Gmail account and I have my mail syncing now but it doesn't seem to sync my contacts.

I started with a Centro but only had about 100 contacts so I just decided to add all of them back in to the Pre manually instead of using the DTA. Now that they are on the Pre and synced to my Palm profile I thought they would automatically be added to my Gmail. Is that wrong? How can I get my contacts into Gmail?

Also, the stupidest question of all: How do I turn on e-mail notification for the forums so that I can get a message when I thread I've posted in has some activity. I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!
    If you were going to add them manually somewhere it should've been on google. So much easier to enter info on your computer, especially 100 contacts. Then it would sync to your Pre when you entered your google info on the phone. I think there's an app in homebrew or the market that will let you switch the contacts from palm profile to google. There isn't a way to just do it on your Pre.

in general.... user CP, edit options, Default Thread Subscription mode.

If you want to do it on a thread by thread basis you have the thread tools drop box at the top of every thread.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Thanks for the tips. I need to do some more research for sure. I tried adding a Gmail account and I have my mail syncing now but it doesn't seem to sync my contacts.

I started with a Centro but only had about 100 contacts so I just decided to add all of them back in to the Pre manually instead of using the DTA. Now that they are on the Pre and synced to my Palm profile I thought they would automatically be added to my Gmail. Is that wrong? How can I get my contacts into Gmail?

Also, the stupidest question of all: How do I turn on e-mail notification for the forums so that I can get a message when I thread I've posted in has some activity. I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!
    If you're manually adding the contacts, be sure to set Google as the default in your Contact application. Then it will sync them to Google.

If you've already added them, you can select them one at a time, look at the top right for the profile (probably Palm on your device), and change it to Google, and it'll be set.

You'll still want to change your default to Google so future manual entries on the Pre will go to Google.

There are number of ways to fix the email notification on threads, probably the fastest is to look for the Quick Links drop down (green bar, a few lines down from the Palm pre device on the header), select Subscriptions in the Miscellaneous section, and edit from there.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    hparsons,

I don't see anywhere that will let me re-sync them to Google. Is there a way I can delete all of my contacts and just start over in Gmail? I don't want to have a bunch of double entries and such.

So if I ever add a contact in the future on my phone it won't sync with Google? That doesn't seem very handy.

Thanks for the help with adding the e-mail subscriptions to my account. I looked all over and couldn't find it.
    hparsons,

I don't see anywhere that will let me re-sync them to Google. Is there a way I can delete all of my contacts and just start over in Gmail? I don't want to have a bunch of double entries and such.

So if I ever add a contact in the future on my phone it won't sync with Google? That doesn't seem very handy.

Thanks for the help with adding the e-mail subscriptions to my account. I looked all over and couldn't find it.
    You're correct, I was confusing this with the Calendar events.

Yes, you can simply re-enter them into Google, and that would likely be the simplest. The quickest might be to get the patch that will let you send the full list to yourself as a CSV file, and import it into Google. Either method should work.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I'll just re-enter them I suppose. I only had 64 done so it's not the end of the world.

Just to be clear, entering any on my phone in the futre won't then automatically add them to Google? What kind of Synergy is that?
    I'll just re-enter them I suppose. I only had 64 done so it's not the end of the world.

Just to be clear, entering any on my phone in the futre won't then automatically add them to Google? What kind of Synergy is that?
    No, that's not correct. If your Pre is set to use Google as your default contact profile, then the contacts will sync/upload/download to Google. Most likely, it's on the default setting of Palm Profile, which syncs to nothing (though it's backed up to Palm's servers).

Set your default to Google, and you'll be fine.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Ok, I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks! I KNOW this is going to be a sweet set up when I get it figured out.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast