Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    About an hour and a half ago I turned my Pre on for the first time and went thru the steps to activate it. That went fine.

Then I got to the part where I have to create a Palm Profile. I went thru the whole process and at the end it says "Profile creation failed - try again" because I'm not on the service provider's network.

I'm still waiting to port my number from AT&T, but shouldn't I be able to use my new phone on a temp number?

There is no EV symbol in the upper right, and it appears after searching other people had this problem as well. Do I need to take it into the store?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I don't know the answers to your questions myself, but i would guess taking it to a store would probably get you up and running faster. If a sprint store isn't far from you i'd say swing on up there. Unless you really want to figure it out yourself, some people like a good challenge.

Or wait till one of the more knowledgeable members pops in
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Well, I like a good challenge as much as the next guy, but when it comes to my Pre... I've been waiting for weeks to get it, I want to use it now!

Patience is not one of my virtues when it comes to a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    Then I got to the part where I have to create a Palm Profile. I went thru the whole process and at the end it says "Profile creation failed - try again" because I'm not on the service provider's network.
    I'm not to sure but sounds like your acct isn't activated yet. Have you called CS or tech support? If you got it online I think you still have to call Sprint and let them know you've got the phone and are ready to activate it.

I'm still waiting to port my number from AT&T, but shouldn't I be able to use my new phone on a temp number?
    When you bought the phone online did you get it from Sprint or another retailer? If you bought it from Sprint, did you buy it on a completely new plan and line or did you tell them to port your number over? I think if you tell them your going to port over a number, they most likely are going to wait to activate your new Sprint acct and port over your number when you call them.

There is no EV symbol in the upper right, and it appears after searching other people had this problem as well. Do I need to take it into the store?
    No EV symbol means you not connected to the Sprint network. Do you need to take it into the store??? Have you called Sprint CS or Tech support???

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you need to call Sprint CS or Tech and tell them to check your acct and setup. Hope that helps a bit.
    How long ago did you do the activation? I notice it takes up to a few hours for it to go through the system. I had to activate the phone a few times and it always took awhile for me to get voice and then data. Give it some time and then call Sprint CS.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Even if your number hasn't ported if you did the online activation you still should have service and be able to make outbound calls, you just won't receive calls on your old number yet. They say it can take anywhere from 1-4 hours for activation but I've never had it take more than 30 minutes personally.

From your post it sounds like you already did the online activation after receiving the phone. The phone arrives to you unactivated and you have to finish the activation procedure online or via phone. I prefer online this way they don't try to get you for an rep activation fee.
    I would agree with other who say give it some time if uve already talked with sprint, if still nothing try opening the phone app, bring down the menu, go to preferences, and update network settings. This is what I eventually had to do before my number would port(waited 6 hrs)
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Well it's been close to 3 hours since I did the original activation. The phone should be activated, I just couldn't make a Palm Profile since I'm not connected to Sprint's network.

When I ordered thru Sprint.com I told them to port my at&t number over. It still says "In progress" for my number porting.
    Depending on whether or not you were issued a temp # when the port-in request was initiated you may or may not be able to complete the initial activation process. If you were issued one, you may be able to call in to cust care I think and have them walk you through manually programming it..

I recommend talking to cust care or the port-in dept. and have them also see if there's any holdup on the port because from my experiences working in-store with at&t ports it usually takes less than one hour. The supplied info when you initiated the port.. password, billing name/address that you have with at&t may be wrong, thus causing the delay
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Well I just got back from the Sprint store. When I told the guy I was porting from at&t he just shook his head and told me I should have never turned the phone on until the porting process was complete.

I asked him how would they know I ever received the phone if I never turned it on to activate it? He didn't really have an answer.

He took the battery out and then put it back in and told me to keep the phone off until porting was complete. He said the process should take a few hours.

We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I just asked a chat agent, and they said they are showing no issues that would be causing a delay...

Is this just at&t's way of screwing me one last time? lol
    I feel your pain as I just posted a similar story (didn't see this one). The "chat" agent sent me here... sprint.com/bringyournumber

Which told me... We're sorry, there is a system error. Please 1 call-800-639-6111 to check on the status of your port request.

lol i can't win
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I had this problem last night after updating bc I had to hard reset

The way to fix that is when the screen comes up hit # and it will bring up the dialer, then type in ##evdo#. Then select evdo only...after that you should be able to activate...this will save you hours of help over the phone bc they didn't tell me anything but how to get the dialer up....hope this helps
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I can't get to the dialer, I can't even get past signing up for my Palm Profile.
    Just start typing. It'll bring up the dialer, regardless if you are at the Palm Profile screen.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    The good news is my porting status now says "complete" and my old phone has turned off. I still don't have an EV symbol in the corner, and can't create a Palm Profile.

I think I'm going to need the MSL and reset the thing so I can go thru the activation process again
    Last edited by JTH182; 07/25/2009 at 01:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    That's odd you should be able to pull up that dialer at the screen that has the 3 options of ???(help or somthing), new account, or existing account. That is where I was able to do it from
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    i had this issue. I wasn't able to create a palm profile because it kept saying that my phone wasn't connected to the network. The steps below solved the issue:

1) Get the MSL# from a sprint rep.
    2) Go to the dialer and press ##RTN#
    3) This should bring up the Reverse Logistics Support screen.
    4) Scroll to the bottom and hit reset.
    5) Enter the MSL# and continue to reset pre.

6) You should be able to get on the network now!

Or you can try jeffsaha's way. I've never done it that way though.

FYI: You can get to the dialer pad by hitting the phone icon at the bottom right corner, and then pressing "Emergency Call".
    Last edited by dre3k2; 07/25/2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem, but it started happening after it did a restart from the WebOS Doctor. The phone started having the messaging problems after the 1.1 software update with the "forwarding" and "timestamp" enabled.

Sprint TS transferred me to Palm after over an hour on the phone. By then, their offices were closed. I'm bringing it to a service center in the morning so I can see my $7/month protection plan in use!

*EDIT* - I just tried the above method. ##786# (then the MSL that the rep gave me) and it didn't have any affect. Hopefully it works for JTH182.
    Last edited by vtecbrown; 07/25/2009 at 01:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Thanks jeffsaha, I was able to get the dialer. Unfortunately nothing happened when I tried EVDO only.

I think my problem is that I went thru the activation process before I had the EV symbol in the corner. I'm going to have to make another trip to Sprint tomorrow I guess.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast