1.    #1  
    1.1 is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. Though I do like the quality of the new tones, I do not like that they are much harder to hear. I REALLY do not like that they took away the visual notifications. I need to be alerted to issues 24/7 and this device is making it very difficult on me.

There are at least 3 tones now that they have around:

- Old message notification tone
    - New message notification tone
    - Calendar notification tone

I'd like to use the Calendar notification tone for SMS, and Calendar. I'd like to use new message notification tone for IM. I'd like a softer tone or separate volume control for e-mail notifications. Why is it hard for them to allow us to select and maybe add in a few more tones?

Why is the vibration notification so useless? If you are anywhere even mildly distracting, you don't stand a chance of noticing it. They could fix this with software by increasing the length of the vibration or doing multiple pulses. How about making the number of pulses for each type of notification configurable?

Blackberry has by far the most advanced notification system. If they didn't patent the crap out of it, steal it! At least cover the basics (what the iPhone has).

What's with them taking away visual notifications? They get us used to a feature and now its no longer available. To make up for the poor vibration mechanism, I would rest the phone in a place where I could see it out of the corner of my eye. The visual notification would alert me to a new incoming message. What am I supposed to do now? Do us a favor Palm, don't take away features. What company does that?

I still have an iPhone around and just canceled my storm. I don't think anyone is getting this totally correct. The way I see it:

-iPhone is the best all-around platform but AT&T service is horrible in NYC so I end up missing some notifications or being able to communicate at all after receiving a notification due to poor service. Their notifications system is pretty solid overall but could be a lot better. At least it has a usable vibration mechanism and a selection of SMS alerts.

-Blackberry has by far the best notifications system and can be had on any service provider but sucks at just about everything else, has a crappy browser, email display and maps app, no wifi on verizon.

-Pre is up there with the iphone in overall quality with some nice features to offset what the iphone has over it. Its just getting started and I think has the greatest potential of all. Sprint service is very solid in NYC but I miss notifications because I can't notice them.

I needz my alerts palm!

-daniel
    Couldn't agree more! Could hardly hear the notifications before much less now. Especially when you have it in the Palm leather case. Come on Palm I could care less about the emotion icons and what you should really care about is people getting important notifications. At least you could have left us with the choice of the old or the new. Geesh
    They didn't??? I still get my visual notification....Are you not?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    They didn't??? I still get my visual notification....Are you not?
    I still get my visual notifications also.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I think by visual notifications he means a blinking light like the old treos used to have. Unless he means visual voice mail.
    Well I thought he was talking about AFTER the 1.1 update.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Many, many phones to choose from - great market on ebay for the phone you have. Sell your phone and but one that will play any tune you wish when you receive a text message. It is what it is - until it isn't...
    Last edited by tarhead; 07/24/2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I'm old...
  8.    #8  
    This was very helpful for getting notifications to a better state. Now I use the calendar notification for everything and disable sound on e-mails:

forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/188729-my-notification-v-1-0-3-6-30-a.html

(you'll have to copy and paste since I cannot post a link)

Plus rooting my phone opened some new options for me to script better notifications on the linux level. So I am digging around there. I've also got an SSH client back which I was missing from the iphone.

webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Terminal

(you'll have to copy and paste since I cannot post a link)

The visual notifications I am referring to is where the screen would turn on if it were in an off state when you received a message. This was configurable, but now it is not. The notifications are still on the bottom of the screen, but they aren't visible until you turn on the screen. I don't think there is an LED on the Pre outside of the flash.

They still really need to separate notifications for each type of incoming message. Since they all trigger the same mechanism for playing a sound, they all look for the exact same file and it can't be separated even with simple hacking. I may try to write a wrapper that can determine the type of message, but I'm not totally sure its possible. It also would likely be overwritten with OS updates.
    I don't see why they just can't make the center button blink when you have a notification. As it is, that button is extremely redundant and a lot of people barely even use it. A swipe up usually does the trick. Making it blink when you have a notification would add extra functionality to the button which justifies it's existence, not to mention improve battery life as i wont be waking the phone up all the time just to check to see if i got a text. 2 birds with one stone, you'd think that this would be a high priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    I don't see why they just can't make the center button blink when you have a notification. you'd think that this would be a high priority.
    I couldn't agree more!

Maybe they disabled this feature so you'd get a touchstone, which keeps the screen on!
  11.    #11  
    Poking around in: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs

I was able to enable turning the screen on for select messages. For example, line 262 starts this chunk of code:

if (this.Messaging.DisplayState.isDisplayOn()) {
    Mojo.Log.info("notificationAssistant - executing full banner notification");
    this.controller.showBanner(bannerParams, bannerLaunchParams, 'chat');
    } else if (this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotificationSound) {
    Mojo.Log.info("notificationAssistant - playing sound notification only");
    this.controller.playSoundNotification('alerts','');
    }

You can see they are checking for the status of the display. This seems to affect SMS and IM messages.

I have to dig around in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/
    to see if I can code in a different sound.

@lucidlore: I like that idea a lot. I didn't even think of those lights. I'll see if I can find the call to make that light up and then can add it in to all the messages. Lighting up the full screen can get annoying if you get e-mails all night.

Next week/weekend, I'll have to dump these files onto my desktop and load them up in TextMate for easier reading/editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aut0maticdan View Post
    The visual notifications I am referring to is where the screen would turn on if it were in an off state when you received a message. This was configurable, but now it is not. The notifications are still on the bottom of the screen, but they aren't visible until you turn on the screen. I don't think there is an LED on the Pre outside of the flash.
    Hu It's still there.

Launcher-> screen & Lock-> and scroll all the way to the bottom. It's under Notifications "Show When Locked" make sure it turned on.

That should do it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    Hu It's still there.

Launcher-> screen & Lock-> and scroll all the way to the bottom. It's under Notifications "Show When Locked" make sure it turned on.

That should do it.
    No, I'm specifically talking about e-mail. They changed the option. This has been on the whole time for me, but when I get an e-mail, the screen doesn't come on.

There used to be an option in each e-mail account, but now they changed the wording. What is now "Show Icon" used to be something like "Display Notification" and when enabled it would light the screen when it is off.

I found where they made the changes for notifications like SMS and Chat in the code, but I have not found where they made the change for e-mail.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    How about it ringing more then once?!?! I can never understand why they have it set at one ring, even if you forget to check it, its still one f***en ring!! Come on Palm and learn from Crapberry if you want to rule the SMS world!!!!!!!