Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    So you can improve the efficiency of your rifle by attending an Appleseed shoot.
    Exactly improve the software and the hardware can kill more with less bullets. If only I could dual wield SMG's like that.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    4 years of posts and this is your crowning acheivement.

To be fair, any software update that makes things run smoother with help the battery. So the more the bugs are fixed, the better the battery life.

It might help to settle down a tad, and maybe we could have an intelligent discussion about the Pre, rather than this witty reparte we are engaged in so far.

Crowning acheivement? Hardly! And I don't think I'm the one needing to settle. But thanks!

I'm sure that battery life will be helped, but it seems that people are expecting mircles and I just think that isn't gonna happen. An additonal hour or so out of the battery during typical use, sure, but it isn't going double or triple the battery life.

To me, the battery life is about the same as with the iPhone, so I don't see why everyone is so hopeful about getting a big increase...
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    Crowning acheivement? Hardly! And I don't think I'm the one needing to settle. But thanks!

I'm sure that battery life will be helped, but it seems that people are expecting mircles and I just think that isn't gonna happen. An additonal hour or so out of the battery during typical use, sure, but it isn't going double or triple the battery life.

To me, the battery life is about the same as with the iPhone, so I don't see why everyone is so hopeful about getting a big increase...
    No your first post called everyone out for seeing if a software update would help their battery life. You basically said that why are we wasting our time because software can't help battery life when it's been proven that it can. You were wrong, admit you were wrong that software can change battery life, and then move on, you're getting blasted for that. All you had to do was thank the people who showed you the error of your ways and all this blasting wouldn't have happened. If I hung around this forum everyday like some of the other guys I'd find it hard to resist the urge to call people out for their lack of knowledge, yet pretending they know more than us.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think some people are having much worse battery life than the Iphone, which is the problem. You're right, if you're getting about the same as the Iphone, don't expect much because they have the same size batteries and similar processors. But some people are saying they get worse battery life. This could be due to bad batteries or the way the phone handles poor signal areas or fringe EVDO areas. If it's a bad battery, that requires a replacement, but if the problem is due to signal issues, that is 100% software (or hope for another tower somewhere close by).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    No your first post called everyone out for seeing if a software update would help their battery life. You basically said that why are we wasting our time because software can't help battery life when it's been proven that it can. You were wrong, admit you were wrong that software can change battery life, and then move on, you're getting blasted for that. All you had to do was thank the people who showed you the error of your ways and all this blasting wouldn't have happened. If I hung around this forum everyday like some of the other guys I'd find it hard to resist the urge to call people out for their lack of knowledge, yet pretending they know more than us.
    I didn't call anyone out, I didn't say anyone was wasting their time.

And I have not been proven wrong yet. All that has been said, and I did thank them, was that the device could very efficiently minimize its idle power usage. But if it is doing all that folks are asking it to do, it won't be idle, so that point is mostly moot. Most of the power drain comes when the phone is active, not when it is idle. So sure, you might be able to optimize things so that it used less power when performing typical tasks, but that's not gonna get you more than 10%, if you use the Win 7 comparsion.

Is anyone really excited to get 10% more?

My point was that folks should be content and enjoy the device, rather than expecting improvements in every update, then being upset when they don't show up.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think some people are having much worse battery life than the Iphone, which is the problem. You're right, if you're getting about the same as the Iphone, don't expect much because they have the same size batteries and similar processors. But some people are saying they get worse battery life. This could be due to bad batteries or the way the phone handles poor signal areas or fringe EVDO areas. If it's a bad battery, that requires a replacement, but if the problem is due to signal issues, that is 100% software (or hope for another tower somewhere close by).
    I couldn't find the spec on the iPhone battery to quote it exactly, but I was thinking it was about 40% larger than the Pre's, right? So yeah, you'd expect it to last longer.
    I see that people are all hoping that an OS update will result in improved battery life. But, I can't see what could possibly be done to improve it.

I mean, the electronics are going to take the energy that they need to function. Aside from turning stuff off, like bluetooth, there's just no way that there will be a magical improvement in battery life from a software update.

If anything, I think they need to figure out how to get the poor signal issue figured out by boosting the power to the antenna, but I'm guessing there's no way of changing that either.
    From your original post. I'll highlight the parts that basically say we're wasting our time looking to software fixes for battery issues.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I couldn't find the spec on the iPhone battery to quote it exactly, but I was thinking it was about 40% larger than the Pre's, right? So yeah, you'd expect it to last longer.
    They're both 1150 mAh batteries. You totally missed the point of my post though. Anyway, yes, software can make a huge difference in battery life.
  9.    #29  
    From your original post. I'll highlight the parts that basically say we're wasting our time looking to software fixes for battery issues.
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where you highlighted where I said people were wasting their time.
    The 3G uses a 1150mah battery, the 2G used a 1400mah battery. I'm looking for 3GS numbers but I'm expecting the same. One thing people keep forgetting is CDMA is more power hungry than GSM. That's always been the case with a GSM version of a phone vs. a CDMA version. It's gotten better but CDMA is more power hungry.

Edit: I found numbers on the 3GS and it looks like it's a 1219 mah battery http://gizmodo.com/5297468/iphone-3g...ame-as-the-pre
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where you highlighted where I said people were wasting their time.
    But you saw that part where you imparted your complete misinformation on the forum as fact right?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    They're both 1150 mAh batteries. You totally missed the point of my post though. Anyway, yes, software can make a huge difference in battery life.
    That's weird, I was pretty sure I had read that the 3g and 3gs had 1600 mAh batteries?

The iPhone is rated for about 5 hours of use, either phone or internet. It is rated for longer usage watching video or listening to music, but those rated times are likely in airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    You are right ..battery life will not get much better with SW.. until the next model.

People who think it will are just wishful thinking beta-testers.

..and the flamers are pathetic! Because they are upset with the battery life too!
  14.    #34  
    But you saw that part where you imparted your complete misinformation on the forum as fact right?
    Just trying to fit in I guess.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    You are right ..battery life will not get much better with SW.. until the next model.

..and the flamers are pathetic! Because they are upset with the battery life too!
    If you can get through a day with your Pre, you are right. It's not going to get much better. But you missed the part where some people say they can't get through a day. If this is due to fringe EVDO or poor signal areas it can be handled better with software. There may also be a bug in one of the programs where something latches even after it is closed and drains the battery. You don't know what can or can't be fixed. Software can probably be cleaned up to provide small improvements too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post

Then please explain to me how my iRiver H120 managed to add about 4 hours of battery life (going from from 8 to 12) using different versions of the stock firmware and even more using a custom firmware created by Rockbox? It's very much possible to see a significant improvement from software updates.
    Thanks Disgustoid. I've had dumb phones such as my Samsung A900 that have had increased battery life due to firmware. Of course back in the day Samsung always used to have buggy firmware that required quite a bit of time to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    the OP is being so obtuse that he must either be a really big *****.. or a troll posing as concerned pre user.
    Troll. Can't you see the big chin and beard?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12