Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I just bought my pre yesturday and was extremely paranoid about this oreo twist. So the first thing I did when I got home was check theto see how much play there is on the slider. I noticed some slight play when testing for a oreo twist. My question is how much play should there be on a good device? How bad should it be to warrant an exchange?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasyg View Post
    I just bought my pre yesturday and was extremely paranoid about this oreo twist. So the first thing I did when I got home was check theto see how much play there is on the slider. I noticed some slight play when testing for a oreo twist. My question is how much play should there be on a good device? How bad should it be to warrant an exchange?
    Don't get caught up in the hype. If it works for you and doesn't hamper functionality/performance then it doesn't matter how much play there is.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    My advice to you is just don't twist it...and open and close the phone properly as explained in the manual
    Mine has a little oreo twist to it but Im not going to sweat it. If it gets worse I'll look in to it but for now I'll live with it. It is disappointing though. You spend a lot of money on the phone and it feels cheap. But at least is performs well
    if it really bothers you turn it off pull the cover and battery and use something blunt ( I just used a Phillips head screwdriver ) and CAREFULLY apply pressure to both flanges or guides that slide in the rails. Do it in the closed and half open position and it will tighten up.

After that open and close the slider properly and it will stay tight.

It works.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhannon View Post
    I bought my Pre on June 13th from Best Buy. I purchased the RocketFish snap-on holster with it and have had it on ever since, until yesterday. I took it off to see if it would have any twist to it, because with it on, it did not. It did have it when removed. When I put it back on, it went away. I guess I'll be leaving it on, which I was going to anyway
    If it covers the power button on the upper right corner, then it's too much play. You should be able to hear a little tapping noise when you check for play in the slider, but it should not interfere with any other part of the phone (like the power of volume buttons on the side).

This is how my first phones was... but the next two have had serious play in the slider. Trying a new one today.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it, Mine has a some play it doesn't bother me. It's hard to say what the normal is people have. Mine slides just about 5mm ( close to a 1/4 inch if your not familiar with metric ) clockwise. It doesn't really bother me but it does some people.

I don't think there is a set how much play there should be. Only my newest Pre moved this much, the others only wiggled a little so i had a sprint repair center check it out and they said it was normal. Any where from .5mm to 5.5mm of sideways play is normal.

Once they said don't worry about it I didn't give it another thought.

and don't sit there wiggling it, you'll make it loosen up

or for blind, i forgot which it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Don't get caught up in the hype. If it works for you and doesn't hamper functionality/performance then it doesn't matter how much play there is.
    Amen brother....

I've had mine since a week after launch. I pocket it (no case) daily, while mowing the lawn, working around the house...I've dropped it on concrete floor a few times... my 4 kids always "dive-bomb" for daddy's lap when I sit down and smash my Pre... even caught my 1yr-old son using it as a paddle. It's fine....no better, no worse.

I actually think that without the slight "play" in the device, it may have sheared-off by now. Truly overrated/over-hyped.

And if it does break...I've got TEP which I would recommend for a device we don't exactly know about its durability....so far, it's passed my test.
    mine rotates clockwise by less than 1mm. I think I got a golden unit, haha, first time out too. No dead pixels, twist, or any other issues people have complained about.
    All of them have some play. They're moving parts, relax.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    All of them have some play. They're moving parts, relax.
    Exactly. There has to be some play or it would end up breaking something, it needs to have some give
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasyg View Post
    dont twist it!!!!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    dont twist it!!!!
    LOL I know. I wonder how many people are twisting their Pre all day checking it .
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega33 View Post
    LOL I know. I wonder how many people are twisting their Pre all day checking it .
    well those same ppl r the ones that **** up there fone and complain lol
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    If it bothers you, I would take it back. Mine came out the box twisty, and I showed other people my Pre, and the first thing they did was check the quality and complain about it. So now it starting to bother me. I can feel the separation every time I hold it now, closed or opened. I've had other matrix type phones, and clearly the Pre is the worst as far as twisting. Definately rushed!
    stores where i am got shipments yesterday, every pre has a "warranty date code 7-7-09" and every pre had a slight oreo. i dont think you'll find a pre that DOESNt have the oreo.. and if it does.. i would say its defective 0_o
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    That would be nice if it oreoed 90 degrees. You could then use the keyboard in landscape mode.
    Rishi O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    I've had other matrix type phones, and clearly the Pre is the worst as far as twisting. Definately rushed!
    Call me uninformed, but could you explain "matrix type" phone, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Call me uninformed, but could you explain "matrix type" phone, please?
    in the movie they had phones that slide up like the pre, except they were on a spring and button activated, so u press the button and the keyboard shoots down.

similar to nextel's i860/i870/i880 quickflip button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast