1.    #1  
    Hello all!

The camera application on my Pre has worked flawlessly... up until a few weeks back. Now every-so-often when I open the camera app, it will sit there on the grey screen with the camera icon in the middle and go nowhere. I can even go as far as to rotate the phone and the little camera icon will flip, but the actual camera doesn't start.

Now, I've found that if I open the slider and flick it closed, the camera will start. Strangely enough if this is done to "fix" it, the camera will work fine again. But a few hours later, it's back to the same ol' problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any feedback/suggestions/similar issues would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I'm no expert on the matter, but I've worked with many electronic devices. It sounds like the phone is waiting for a signal line to go high/low from the camera indicating it is ready to be used. And it sounds like that connection is not being properly made, so that you have to flick the screen up and down. This probably temporarily reconnects the signal in question, allowing the camera app to start.

Maybe pop the cover off and see if you notice any loose ribbon cables or take it to the store, I'm sure you can replace it for that reason.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, once I discovered that a flick of the screen will get the camera to work, I figured it was something with the hardware. I was trying to avoid having to replace the phone... but I suppose it can't be helped.

Thank you for the quick response!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krudmon View Post
    Hello all!

The camera application on my Pre has worked flawlessly... up until a few weeks back. Now every-so-often when I open the camera app, it will sit there on the grey screen with the camera icon in the middle and go nowhere. I can even go as far as to rotate the phone and the little camera icon will flip, but the actual camera doesn't start.

Now, I've found that if I open the slider and flick it closed, the camera will start. Strangely enough if this is done to "fix" it, the camera will work fine again. But a few hours later, it's back to the same ol' problem.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any feedback/suggestions/similar issues would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This has been discussed on other threads. e.g. see http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1731997

I had this problem and Sprint and Palm both told me that the only way to fix this was to replace the phone. Someone on another thread suggested that there would be a fix to this in the latest OTA update, but not sure if this has been confirmed or not. Other way, may be time to contact sprint and hope for an exchange!

good luck
    It ain't great, but I don't use my camera a ton and the rest of my Pre is flawless so for now I just make due...

I know that this is not at all scientific, but it does work. I was at a concert last night and when I opened the camera app, I was stuck on the grey screen. I was so frustrated that I closed the slider with more force than usual. The camera app came right up. This happened each time I used the camera and the "hard close", if you will, opened the app everytime. And no, I am not The Fonz.
    Thanks, I was told that 1.1 would fix this but it hasn't. Have to get them to exchange the phone when I get home from vacation. At least this will let me snap some pix until then.