Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I lost 20% browsing the web for 40 mins this morning, on wifi. Wow.
    hey all, i've not noticed anything different in the new update as far as battery life goes. I can confirm its the EVDO rev A connection that causes more of the battery drain. I have done several tests for the past 3 days.

this is all with auto locate and GPS turned on.
    wifi off.

here are my results:
    my tests only include a certain time frame, and same usage for the three days. I wake up in the morning take it off the charger. I surf the web (4 websites ) and check my emails for 15 minutes on the toilet..lol before i head out to work.

DAY 1:

EVDO REV A hybrid:

7:15 AM off the charger 100 %
    7:30 AM after surfing and stuff i am at 91 %
    12:00 PM 84 % charge left.

DAY 2:

EVDO REV 0 hybrid:
    7:15 AM off the charger 100%
    12:00 PM 85 % charge left.

DAY 3:

1XRTT only:

7:35 AM i am at 98 % (7:35 because my websites take longer to load, but didnt affect emails)
    12:00 PM 94% charge left.

I did notice with 1XRTT that the internet and things were a bit slower I also did a mobile speed test under all of these at my location EVDO REV A was the obvious faster one at 2.03 mbps. surprisingly EVDO rev 0 was at 1.78 mbps. and 1xrtt was at 199kbps. from my knowledge if you are doing email and stuff like that you dont need more than 199kbps to download it unless you have big attachments then u might need the speeds. my 1x signal is at 1 to 2 bars also, and that doens't make a difference about how some of you stated that if you have full signal it makes a difference, but i think this is only with EVDO rev a. hopefully this helps everyone that has problems with keeping more of a battery life.

and for day 4, 5, and 6 i am going to test all these same conditions with WIFI on. I have noticed that ppl in those forums that say help improve your battery life it says to use WIFI more and it helps battery, i think the reason being that is that EVDO connection is your biggest battery consumer.
    Last edited by funkjack; 07/28/2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funkjack View Post
    hey all, i've not noticed anything different in the new update as far as battery life goes. I can confirm its the EVDO rev A connection that causes more of the battery drain. I have done several tests for the past 3 weeks. here are my results:
    my tests only include a certain time frame, and normal usage. I wake up in the morning take it off the charger. I surf the web and check my emails for 15 minutes on the toilet..lol before i head out to work.

WEEK 1:

EVDO REV A hybrid:

12:00 PM 84 %

WEEK 2:

EVDO REV 0 hybrid:

WEEK 3:

1XRTT only:

I did notice with 1XRTT that the internet and things were a bit slower I also did a mobile speed test under all of these at my location EVDO REV A was the obvious faster one at 2.03 mbps. surprisingly EVDO rev 0 was at 1.78 mbps. and 1xrtt was at 199kbps. from my knowledge if you are doing email and stuff like that you dont need more than 199kbps to download it unless you have big attachments then u might need the speeds. my 1x signal is at 1 to 2 bars also, and that doens't make a difference about how some of you stated that if you have full signal it makes a difference, but i think this is only with EVDO rev a. hopefully this helps everyone that has problems with keeping more of a battery life.
    Great to know, thanks for researching this and typing it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    Great to know, thanks for researching this and typing it up.
    no problem i did re-edit it, because i left some information came to last minute.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Do you have more updates for days 4-6?

Have you continued to use 1xRTT and are getting you more hours out of a single charge?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funkjack View Post
    hey all, i've not noticed anything different in the new update as far as battery life goes. I can confirm its the EVDO rev A connection that causes more of the battery drain. I have done several tests for the past 3 days.

wifi off.

here are my results:
    my tests only include a certain time frame, and same usage for the three days. I wake up in the morning take it off the charger. I surf the web (4 websites ) and check my emails for 15 minutes on the toilet..lol before i head out to work.

DAY 1:

EVDO REV A hybrid:

12:00 PM 84 % charge left.

DAY 2:

EVDO REV 0 hybrid:

DAY 3:

1XRTT only:

7:35 AM i am at 98 % (7:35 because my websites take longer to load, but didnt affect emails)

and for day 4, 5, and 6 i am going to test all these same conditions with WIFI on. I have noticed that ppl in those forums that say help improve your battery life it says to use WIFI more and it helps battery, i think the reason being that is that EVDO connection is your biggest battery consumer.
    Yea they need to do something 15min of use and were down to roughyl 10%..I get similar results I charged my phone all night took off charger at 7.30am, checked 1 vociemail sent 5 sms message and im down to 92% at 10.38am..so Idk whether to rejoice or cry in shambles lol
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I made a change that seemed to help the battery issue... But it is completely unrelated to the any setting that has to deal with the radio settings.

Basically I am up at 5:30AM in the am and I use EAS and GMail to push automatically to the device... Before this change I could not even make it until 11:30AM without the device being at 20% (now mind you I typically keep the WiFi/Bluetooth off, and I am not in the best of coverage locations at work (work in a high-rise in Chicago). So I am constantly switching between 1xRTT and EVDO (which I know does not help the issue).

Ok this is the setting I changed. Under "Screen and Lock Settings" I turned off the option under the "Advanced Gestures" for "Switch Applications".

I turned this option on when I first got the phone as I found it to be very handy. But after the upgrade to 1.1.0 and fighting with this... I decided to wipe the device back to defaults. After doing so I went through the settings and put everything back... Still had the poor battery issues... So I decided to un-tweak my settings... First one was the "Switch Applications" option... After the first day it was a whole lot better. I can now at least see to go a full day (from 5:30AM till roughly 7:00PM) before I get the 20% battery notification warning.

Hope this helps... It might, it might not, but it is a lot better then what it was prior...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I read this somewhere on here last night and did it last night, but I'll repost it here. If you open up the phone app, click on the Sprint in the upper left corner, then Preferences, scroll down to where it says Network and change it to Sprint Only. I used my pre for the whole day today and still had 22% battery when I got home. I do have the Seidio 1350 battery, but it worked. I didn't even get through a full day yesterday till I changed this option. Hope this helps.
    Big Jeff
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    nothing new here
    Quote Originally Posted by SlapVanVoila View Post
    I agree that it's entirely possible that the battery and device are re-calibrating.

What I do know is that around 1 PM today, I was having lunch and my Pre was in the Palm leather pouch on my belt. When I left the house 45 minutes earlier the phone was in the 80% range. So there I am eating lunch and I realize there's this incredible heat coming from around my lap/hip area. Never a good thing. Well, almost never. Anyway, in this case, it was the Pre! So NOT a good thing. The leather pouch was hot to the touch. I pulled out the Pre and it's hotter than a firecracker and the battery is at 24%! Nothing running on the phone but, I guess, email and that's all idle push for me. It was dead shortly after.

I got home and charged it up again and it seems to still be draining awful fast as compared to before 1.1 but, I must say, not near as fast (or generating as much heat) as it was this afternoon.

I'm telling ya though, at lunch that thing was HOT HOT HOT! Almost burn you hot. But, as I opened with:

I agree that it's entirely possible that the battery and device are re-calibrating.

Time will tell but that was almost scary.
    This has been happening for me too, but I've narrowed it down to data signal being 1xRTT. Any time I go into an area that doesn't have EVDO, my Pre gets extremely hot to the touch. It got so bad the other day that I put it in Airplane mode because I was afraid the thing was going to burn up.
    That would make sense. I only have the issue where my phone starts getting really hot like that in low signal areas. I've tried disabling roaming and also Wifi in case it was trying to search for an access point. Nothing has helped. I wonder if there is some we to disable 1xRTT.

Quote Originally Posted by joesam88 View Post
    This has been happening for me too, but I've narrowed it down to data signal being 1xRTT. Any time I go into an area that doesn't have EVDO, my Pre gets extremely hot to the touch. It got so bad the other day that I put it in Airplane mode because I was afraid the thing was going to burn up.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsie28 View Post
    Pulled mine from being charged at 9:30 this morning, I have been playing with it most of the day and updated it, i only put it on a charger for about 10 min and I still have 44% left 12 hours later. Btw, anyone else have where the phone turns back on once charged at 100% on the USB or the phone i can never get to turn off and stay off while on the touchstone (this was also before 1.1)?????
    I have had the same thing where I have totally shut the phone off and while on the TS just turn itself back on. Thought it was just me.

here are my results:
    these include same exact usage as last time for day 1, 2 , 3. i actually tested those results last time for 3 weeks instead of just the days, but i did notice that even if you do it in 3 days u get the same results.

DAY 4:

EVDO REV A hybrid:

7:30 AM after surfing and stuff i am at 85 %
    12:00 PM 77 % charge left.

DAY 5:

EVDO REV 0 hybrid: (i did notice this time on hybrid 0 it kept switching from 1x to ev causing it to consume more battery to switch between the two i guess. these results stunned me from the results from before)
    7:30 AM after surfing and stuff i am at 82 %
    12:00 PM 74 % charge left.

DAY 6:

1XRTT only:

7:30 AM i am at 95 % (weird how wifi actually drains your battery more than 1x)
    12:00 PM 91% charge left.

I dont know what else is left to test. I suppose i can do the same tests with wifi on and gps off, and also with wifi off and gps off.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456