Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugefunk84 View Post
    Heres a thooght.

Everyone talks about "battery conditioning", and claims that the battery life improves with use. This is true, but I dont think its because the battery itself. The battery can only build up so much charge, theres no way for it to hold more juice because its been cycled a few times.

The difference comes from the fact that the way your phone monitors the battery gets more accurate. At first, battery life sucks because its calibrated very conservatively, to make sure the phone doesnt die prematurely, so it will show that you have less battery life that you really do.

Over time, the calibration drifts and allows you to use more life in your battery, until you hit the wall where the phone discharges completely and the battery monitor is higher than 0%. At that point, the cal software says, ok, crank it back a notch, and thats when you have your 100% accurate battery monitoring. It's possible that with the update, they reset the battery calibration to the levels it was at at manufacture, which means that it will again improve with time.

Hopefully this isnt just wishful thinking...
    This is what I am thinking. I don't think ppl are making **** up, I feel like the battery life has changed too. Hopefully the update reset the calibration and that's why it seems like it is draining faster. Battery calibration, NOT CONDITIONING, was responsible for the initial improvement in life...

I hope we're right
    yea i noticed battery issues today after updating to 1.1 last nite. My battery was good before it. My phone died on me today and that hasn't happened since the first month of purchasing my Pre. This needs a fix ASAP before i go back to "decideding if i want to get rid of me pre" stage again!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    The battery life of both my pre and my fiancée's own has increased significantly. Usually she is at 40-50% by 6pm, and today she is at 69%. Mine is usually at 30-40% by 6pm and today it's at 68%.
    I agree that it's entirely possible that the battery and device are re-calibrating.

What I do know is that around 1 PM today, I was having lunch and my Pre was in the Palm leather pouch on my belt. When I left the house 45 minutes earlier the phone was in the 80% range. So there I am eating lunch and I realize there's this incredible heat coming from around my lap/hip area. Never a good thing. Well, almost never. Anyway, in this case, it was the Pre! So NOT a good thing. The leather pouch was hot to the touch. I pulled out the Pre and it's hotter than a firecracker and the battery is at 24%! Nothing running on the phone but, I guess, email and that's all idle push for me. It was dead shortly after.

I got home and charged it up again and it seems to still be draining awful fast as compared to before 1.1 but, I must say, not near as fast (or generating as much heat) as it was this afternoon.

I'm telling ya though, at lunch that thing was HOT HOT HOT! Almost burn you hot. But, as I opened with:

I agree that it's entirely possible that the battery and device are re-calibrating.

Time will tell but that was almost scary.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I am actually seeing better batt life. I did use google maps today and it found me spot on. I rememberd I shut gps off before the upgrade so I figured it might have reset. I checked and it still show gps off. Maybe gps is stuck on now ?
    Just another added information, I have all my Locational services on and always have since I got the phone and have been seeing an average of 70-60% battery life with normal use after being off the charger from 7:30am to approx 6:30 pm every day!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Pulled mine from being charged at 9:30 this morning, I have been playing with it most of the day and updated it, i only put it on a charger for about 10 min and I still have 44% left 12 hours later. Btw, anyone else have where the phone turns back on once charged at 100% on the USB or the phone i can never get to turn off and stay off while on the touchstone (this was also before 1.1)?????
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    mine is no difference that I can tell. I have not had battery issues since the first few days, everything is still on except for location services.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsie28 View Post
    Btw, anyone else have where the phone turns back on once charged at 100% on the USB or the phone i can never get to turn off and stay off while on the touchstone (this was also before 1.1)?????
    I'm not sure what you mean by "turns back on" -- I'm assuming you mean that the screen comes on? I haven't noticed this when I'm plugged into my USB ports.

As for the Touchstone... the screen is supposed to stay on while it is docked. I believe they call it "Nightstand mode". Not sure if that can be turned off... but I kinda like that feature myself
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennigrace View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "turns back on" -- I'm assuming you mean that the screen comes on? I haven't noticed this when I'm plugged into my USB ports.

As for the Touchstone... the screen is supposed to stay on while it is docked. I believe they call it "Nightstand mode". Not sure if that can be turned off... but I kinda like that feature myself
    Meaning the phone is fully booted up, I don't like the "nightstand" feature since it lights up the entire room... not to mention i don't want to recieve calls and texts at night that wake me up, but thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsie28 View Post
    Meaning the phone is fully booted up, I don't like the "nightstand" feature since it lights up the entire room... not to mention i don't want to recieve calls and texts at night that wake me up, but thats just me.
    For me, I just turn the volume off (switch up top)... I don't mind the light from the screen. I usually have my laptop open on the dresser next to me anyhow!

Are you charging your Pre while it is powered off, and it is powering on when it reaches full charge?
    Well I don't know if they just changed the way the pre reports the battery life or what but after very light usage I'm at 91 percent after eight hours. It seems they might have handled low tower signals better because I have never had this luxury before, maybe they are putting it in a deeper sleep mode.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    After my update to 1.1.0 last night I charged up the phone to 100%. I took it off, had about 15-20 minutes of web browsing and then went to sleep. Woke up and went all day without plugging it in. I made it about 22 hours before my 20% warning went off and I plugged it in to charge. That is the longest I have gone without charging it. Granted, it wasn't my heaviest of days using it but it wasn't sleeping the whole time either. I had about 20 phones calls for probably 1:00 talk time or a little more, 10 text messages, some more web browsing, checking some email, and messing with a couple apps a few times. GPS was on, I just now checked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I noticed all my gps settings were turned back on after update so if that happened to everyone then that can cause battery drain.
    This happened to mine as well... I believe the culprit to the battery drain problems may be GPS turning on automatically after the update.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    I had initially reported bad battery life after 1.1 but I ended my first day after 1.1 with 14 hours off the charger and a decent amount of usage so I am happy with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskk View Post
    I had initially reported bad battery life after 1.1 but I ended my first day after 1.1 with 14 hours off the charger and a decent amount of usage so I am happy with that.
    Me too- ran it all the way down again last night and it has been off the charger for over an hour this morning and still reading 100%.

Calibration seems to be the issue after all.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by jennigrace View Post

The screen on my Pre does not stay on when on the touchstone. It goes to black with only the unlock icon and the time displayed.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duallydave View Post
    The screen on my Pre does not stay on when on the touchstone. It goes to black with only the unlock icon and the time displayed.
    WOW! REALLY?! And how do you think the unlock icon and time are displayed?
    I've been having the same issue. I woke up at 8AM yesterday and by noon I got the 20% battery warning. I hadn't even made any phone calls at that point. I also noticed the phone was super hot. I tried charging it throughout the day, but it seemed hard to keep it above 20%. I was also afraid the battery was going to explode or something due to the heat. It had never been close to this hot before. Oddly, today the battery seems to be working alright, though the phone still seems to be hotter than usual. I don't think the GPS is causing the battery issue as I've always left that on.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapVanVoila View Post

What I do know is that around 1 PM today, I was having lunch and my Pre was in the Palm leather pouch on my belt. When I left the house 45 minutes earlier the phone was in the 80% range. So there I am eating lunch and I realize there's this incredible heat coming from around my lap/hip area. Never a good thing. Well, almost never. Anyway, in this case, it was the Pre! So NOT a good thing. The leather pouch was hot to the touch. I pulled out the Pre and it's hotter than a firecracker and the battery is at 24%! Nothing running on the phone but, I guess, email and that's all idle push for me. It was dead shortly after.

I got home and charged it up again and it seems to still be draining awful fast as compared to before 1.1 but, I must say, not near as fast (or generating as much heat) as it was this afternoon.

I'm telling ya though, at lunch that thing was HOT HOT HOT! Almost burn you hot. But, as I opened with:

Time will tell but that was almost scary.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Mine has been the same. How does that battery drain while it's charging?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast