Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugefunk84 View Post
    I assume you had the phone in airplane mode? 8% in 8 hours? Thats very very good, amtter of fact im not even sure I believe you to be honest, haha :P
    Actually is was 4% in eight hours. And I just noticed that GPS was on too. Before the update I would lose 1% an hour in sleep mode. Of course I had everything turned off that I could.

After checking a few emails and a few misc things, I'm down to 91%. (from 96%)

edit: btw, I was not in airplane mode.
    I was in the not-so-great battery group before 1.1. I'd burn 10%/hour pretty much no matter what I was doing. Removing EAS the other day reduced that to around 8%/hour or so.

This morning, with the same configuration, I took my Pre off the charger at 7:00am, and at 9:00am it's at 91%. That's 4.5%/hour, more in line with what some others have experienced. And, I've never had this low a discharge rate, even when on standby.

So far, I'm happy.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I charged my phone yesterday, after about 12 hours of very little use, it is at 92%. I have been satisfied overall with my battery performance, but I'm not a heavy user of the phone. I work from home most of the time, so I have access to most of the resources that might come from the phone otherwise. My touchstone died after one day, but the replacement is good so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by aspbsecs View Post
    Actually is was 4% in eight hours. And I just noticed that GPS was on too. Before the update I would lose 1% an hour in sleep mode. Of course I had everything turned off that I could.

After checking a few emails and a few misc things, I'm down to 91%. (from 96%)

edit: btw, I was not in airplane mode.

Thats impressive, I was referring to the battery drain pre-patch that you mentioned btw.

From the sounds of it, I think its safe to assume that the phone needs to recalibrate itself. Lets give it a couple days before everyone starts posting ZOMG MY UPDATEZ KILL BAHTURI LIFE!
    Mine seems fine. Must have not been on the Touchstone all night. Went from 100% to just under 90% after two hours with email, twitter updating and streaming Pandora over EVDO for about an hour total, which about the same as I got before 1.1.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Took it off the charger this morning at 5:30 PST and it just turned itself off at 9:30 PST. It was easily lasting all day before update. I think Eugefunk84 has the right idea. I'll give it a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Too early for me to tell. I'll keep you guys posted if I see anything weird.
    Not a Pre owner, so take this as you will.

I’m not entirely certain the extent of this update. If it’s actually akin to a ROM change (like I and many others do on our WinMO phones) then there’s a good possibility that the software / ROM change is the source of the battery issues for you folks.

When making a ROM change on my Windows phone the battery is effectively no longer “calibrated”. Every time this happens I notice a significant drop in battery life. The solution for me in this situation is to re-calibrate by letting the battery drain nearly to the point of dying, then charging to 100%. Rinse repeat and after a few times of doing this the battery is recalibrated with the sys and battery life is back to what it should be (or possibly better if the sys changes made some improvement to battery usage).

Just a thought
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Mine seems about the same so far. Light usage today, but after fiver hours I am at 93%
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Not a Pre owner, so take this as you will.

I’m not entirely certain the extent of this update. If it’s actually akin to a ROM change (like I and many others do on our WinMO phones) then there’s a good possibility that the software / ROM change is the source of the battery issues for you folks.

When making a ROM change on my Windows phone the battery is effectively no longer “calibrated”. Every time this happens I notice a significant drop in battery life. The solution for me in this situation is to re-calibrate by letting the battery drain nearly to the point of dying, then charging to 100%. Rinse repeat and after a few times of doing this the battery is recalibrated with the sys and battery life is back to what it should be (or possibly better if the sys changes made some improvement to battery usage).

Just a thought

Pretty much exactly what I said on page 1
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I took my phone off charger an hour-and-a-half ago and it's still 100%.

No calls, just a tiny bit of browsing and e-mail.
    Pretty much exactly what I said on page 1

Ha! So you did That's what I get for skimming!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Heres a thooght.

Everyone talks about "battery conditioning", and claims that the battery life improves with use. This is true, but I dont think its because the battery itself. The battery can only build up so much charge, theres no way for it to hold more juice because its been cycled a few times.

The difference comes from the fact that the way your phone monitors the battery gets more accurate. At first, battery life sucks because its calibrated very conservatively, to make sure the phone doesnt die prematurely, so it will show that you have less battery life that you really do.

Over time, the calibration drifts and allows you to use more life in your battery, until you hit the wall where the phone discharges completely and the battery monitor is higher than 0%. At that point, the cal software says, ok, crank it back a notch, and thats when you have your 100% accurate battery monitoring. It's possible that with the update, they reset the battery calibration to the levels it was at at manufacture, which means that it will again improve with time.

Hopefully this isnt just wishful thinking...
    This seems right.

And proof is where one guy posted about his battery being at 0% for over 20 minutes before it completely died.
    I am gonna completely agree with Efunk84.

With the new update seeming to write over old packages, hence the reason why some homebrew tricks stopped working, i do not see why they would have not overwritten this one. Some of the changes i can see them making are reprioritizing certain apps like email and such just they dim the screen.

So far my batt life has been about the same. charged to 100 last night, took it off at 10pm, and 14.5 hours later i am at 20%. That is with about 2 hours of surfing, few emails, a few sms, and 2 phone calls, plus 45 min of bluetooth audio for the ride to work.

I would say its about the same as my winmo phone.
    I'm not sure what's up with the battery either. While i was downloading the 1.1 update, my charge was going down while the phone was charging via USB !!! Of course by the time it finished it couldn't install because i was down to 25% battery
    Heres a thooght.

Everyone talks about "battery conditioning", and claims that the battery life improves with use. This is true, but I dont think its because the battery itself. The battery can only build up so much charge, theres no way for it to hold more juice because its been cycled a few times.

The difference comes from the fact that the way your phone monitors the battery gets more accurate. At first, battery life sucks because its calibrated very conservatively, to make sure the phone doesnt die prematurely, so it will show that you have less battery life that you really do.

Over time, the calibration drifts and allows you to use more life in your battery, until you hit the wall where the phone discharges completely and the battery monitor is higher than 0%. At that point, the cal software says, ok, crank it back a notch, and thats when you have your 100% accurate battery monitoring. It's possible that with the update, they reset the battery calibration to the levels it was at at manufacture, which means that it will again improve with time.

Hopefully this isnt just wishful thinking...
    I fully agree with this quote and battery conditioning really has nothing to do with the battery and only how the software displays it. I had the same issue last night after the upgrade. Now I have been roaming all day in rural areas with coverage coming in and out. Approximately 9-10 hours of this and I am at 62%. Last night, I lost about 20% in an hour.
    Battery issues have happened after each update it seems, but go away after you cycle the battery a few times. My theory is that the update somehow "resets" the battery and you need to drain it and charge it again to get it back to how it was performing
    sorry for my ignorance but someone mentioned EAS, what is that exactly?
    I'm not sure why everyone seems to be having such a hard time with battery life, but I'm in the same boat as Aspbsecs! I pulled mine off the chrager @ 7:30am and I used it quite a bit today. Between checking email 7 phone calls reading Precentral over the web while waiting to go into an appointment, and quite a few text messages and alerts I'm only down to 50% as of 9:20 pm!

I think thats pretty good considering the day is pretty much over! And it does even seem like the phone is working better too! A bit snappier!
    EAS is the email accounts that use Microsoft Exchange Services.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast