Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm I really can not understand why you went ahead and disabled some of our features that you wrote yourself but we had to figure out how to unlock.
    Everyone of them is very much harmless but very productive to us.

01. Add/remove pages in launcher
    02. Messaging time stamps
    03. Time duration in phone app
    04. Where nameless caller is from in phone app
    05. Landscape email
    06. Text forwarding
    07. Amazon 3g downloading (sprint you might want to rethink this one other much more simple phones let people download music anywhere)
    08. Roam Only (this is questionable but I feel like it is important not necessarily a must since it scares sprint)
    09. 15 second sleep timer and always on (or maybe just 1hr)
    10. Showing of all day events in month calendar view
    and so much more
    11. Landscape PDF Viewer (might be a bit glitchy still)
    12. Character counter

I am sure I am forgetting some of the mods. I would love to see people post some other mods that have helped us enjoy the pre to its max I will keep updating the list. Please only post the mods that are harmless and useful for day to day use and do not jeopardize the integrity of palm and web-os.

Please voice the importance of these features to you.

Palm with this list we hope you look over the posted items and reconsider hiding them from us. and perhaps enabling them all in an official update in the near future.
    Last edited by jack87; 07/24/2009 at 12:39 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I think Palm just hasnt gotten around to testing these features. I am pretty confident these would be enabled in future updates.
    They're not intentionally disabling the mods you've made. When they make a change to the email application, the default 1.1 files overwrite your custom files. Would you rather have it they didn't update things?

I know it sucks (I just complained about this a second ago), but there really isn't any alternative unfortunately.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They're not intentionally disabling the mods you've made. When they make a change to the email application, the default 1.1 files overwrite your custom files. Would you rather have it they didn't update things?

I know it sucks (I just complained about this a second ago), but there really isn't any alternative unfortunately.
    It is intentional that they have the mods disabled it is my hope to show the palm the importance of some of these simple features so they can officially enable these so we don't have to dig through code every time to re enable them and find the new lines on every update. So no I am not wanting palm to stop updating the pre. thats a silly statement. I am asking that these features become a standard on an update in the very near future eliminating the need for us to mod the files and fear them being overwritten again and again after each "big" update.

I think you are under estimating this post. I am not complaining but pleading to palm to understand that pre owners would appreciate all these simple features which can easily be enabled on their end.
    MatterOfFactJack
    How do you propose they patch files that have content in them that they don't expect? Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    It is intentional that they have the mods disabled it is my hope to show the palm the importance of some of these simple features so they can officially enable these so we don't have to dig through code every time to re enable them and find the new lines on every update. So no I am not wanting palm to stop updating the pre. thats a silly statement. I am asking that these features become a standard on an update in the very near future eliminating the need for us to mod the files and fear them being overwritten again and again after each "big" update.
    That doesn't make much sense - they don't "disable" anything, they just write over your mods.

If you want Palm to implement your mods into the applications - fine. But to claim that Palm is disabling your features makes no sense.

The title of this thread should be changed so people who don't know any better won't think that Palm is "doing" something to peoples phones.
    Try making the modifications to the updated 1.1 files
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    The title of this thread should be changed so people who don't know any better won't think that Palm is "doing" something to peoples phones.
    Cheers to that!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    That
    doesn't make much sense - they don't "disable" anything, they just write over your mods.

If you want Palm to implement your mods into the applications - fine. But to claim that Palm is disabling your features makes no sense.

I agree. You changed their files, they didn't disable your stuff. Palm has no way to know what changes a user made.

Complaints like this is why companies lock their files down and disable root.
    Guys, unless I'm misreading, Jack isn't complaining about the fact that the update overwrote his mods. What he's upset about, and rightly so, is that the mods are even necessary in the first place. All the code for the features he mentioned is already present; it's just disabled by default. So Jack was correct to use that word. With all due respect, it's frankly a little silly that anyone would jump on him for it.

That said, I suspect Prestatic is probably right, and that Palm hasn't yet fully tested the features in question. In my experience, whenever something in software seems like a ridiculously obvious omission to end users, there's almost always a piece of the puzzle we aren't seeing. Developers don't make these decisions lightly. It's not like anyone over at Palm decided, "Hey, let's leave the code for Feature X disabled, just to screw with people's emotions, and see what happens. Muhahahaha!" That's just not how it works.

However, I do agree with Jack that it's about time at least SOME of these things were turned on by default, instead of off. I get that they've had bigger fish to fry in some cases, but surely if they can do something as relatively unimportant as arbitrarily changing the notification sound, they can find the time to uncomment a few lines of code to allow us to add extra launcher pages. But then again, that's my whiny-end-user voice speaking. My practical-business-sense voice knows that the guys who do sounds are probably in a completely different department than the ones responsible for the other features.
    MatterOfFactJack, you are the problem with homebrew/rooting. The title is misleading, the message is misleading, your root goal is counter productive no matter how you wrap it.

They didn't disable anything, they rolled a new release from their sources...not community. If you can't figure out why they wouldn't include the community sources at this juncture then you should have never rooted your Pre.

I'm feeling surly this morning due to all the selfish BS around here. Sadly, the signal to noise ratio of this forum is fast approaching zero.

Now, to fix your problem...instead of complaining how about you put your time to something useful like reading about "quilt" at somewhere like...I don't know, here: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals
    I completely agree with Rob600

If you don't want your changes to you phone look into disabling the updates.
    The tite of this thread should be changed.
    This is a first generation device, there are tons of people who own it and all want differnet things changed, but Palm has limited resources for all these chanages. They will get there eventually, but to claim that they don't understand yada yada yada is ingnorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    MatterOfFactJack, you are the problem with homebrew/rooting. The title is misleading, the message is misleading, your root goal is counter productive no matter how you wrap it.

They didn't disable anything, they rolled a new release from their sources...not community. If you can't figure out why they wouldn't include the community sources at this juncture then you should have never rooted your Pre.
    You are completely misinterpreting his thread and comments. It has nothing directly to do with webOS 1.1 and the fact it undid any tweaks previously made.

What he is saying is even prior versions of some of the apps have features which were developed by Palm and exist in the apps, but which are at least temporarily disabled. Take for example the ability to add / delete additional pages from the app launcher.

The patch for doing that does not introduce all the logic and code necessary for it to work -- the logic is already in the program source. All the patch does is un-comment a few source lines which already exist in the code to make the menu entries visible and usable.

Thus it is Palm which has "disabled" the feature by commenting it out, although the logic for it is already in the program. There can be at least two plausible explanations for this:

1) There had not been time to perform enough testing on the feature

2) They want to be able to quickly introduce "new" features to some apps at a later date, with minimal work on their end.

If it were number 1 above, one could speculate that by the time webOS 1.1 was released they may have been able to do more testing. But again, taking the app launcher page add/delete as an example, the new source has the same logic still commented out. They neither removed the code (which would make the same patch impossible) nor did they enable the code.

I think the OP's frustration in the original post is not aimed at webOS 1.1 update per se, but the fact various programs have features which appear to be already coded but commented out.

Regarding the thread title, by "our" features I think he means program features already in the source, not patches applied.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post

I think you are under estimating this post. I am not complaining but pleading to palm to understand that pre owners would appreciate all these simple features which can easily be enabled on their end.
    If you think Palm intentionally broke your mods you are the most egotistical person I have ever met. Get off your damn high horse and realize that Palm is updating the system, with updates, things break - especially things that are NOT LEGIT.

Of course they would love to add every feature everyone asks for, but it's a matter of man power and priority, and franking, forwarding a text or whatever other silly feature you want is on the list, but by far not a priority.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Your mod changed Palm's OS. Code that is not expected, with any update to any program or OS mind you, is overwritten because it is unexpected. Unexpected and therefore untested code needs to be gone.

How irresponsible would Palm be to allow untested mods with a major update to their OS? Imagine if your hacks conflicted with new code, and it bricked your phone?

You would be livid and demand an exchange, even though it was your own (pardon the French) fricken fault.
    I dont understand why your so upset. I just went through and started redoing all the hacks. so far my screen and lock moficiation works the same, Add/Remove pages from the launcher still work the same way as before. you just have to redo them. Boot image replacement works the same also. just get into your phone and redo them once someone makes the modifications easy as a script(i'm doing them manually)

Edit: hiding Nascar and NFL also worked fine.
    OP, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Palm *could* have broken the ability to get to root. They didn't.
    Palm *could* have specifically overwritten all the open mods out there. They didn't.
    Palm *could* have done a lot of things to make it more difficult for us. They didn't.

There simply is no other way to do it.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Man, you guys are jumping all over the OP for no reason.

I have never rooted my Pre. I have never modded the OS. And I agree with the OP.

I have only 3 launcher pages, for example, even though the OS can completely handle more and can even allow me to determine how many launcher pages I have. Palm took that capability out before I even bought my Pre. Why did they do that? Why did they comment out lines of code that provide a useful feature? That's all he's asking. Get over yourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I have only 3 launcher pages, for example, even though the OS can completely handle more and can even allow me to determine how many launcher pages I have. Palm took that capability out before I even bought my Pre. Why did they do that? Why did they comment out lines of code that provide a useful feature? That's all he's asking. Get over yourselves.
    You'd have to be crazy to think there isn't a good reason for this. All we can do is speculate, but if I had to guess I would say the code might be incomplete, not fully tested, or there is some fundamental problem with the way it's implemented and they need to figure out what to do about it.

It took paid, company time to develop those "commented out" features, you can sure as hell bet there is a reason why they are not available right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Man, you guys are jumping all over the OP for no reason... ...Get over yourselves.
    The items the OP is taking about make sense to have, but not if it means having a buggy phone. These so called "hidden" features will come when the OS is ready for them. Patience is key, but if you want to hack, you can still do that.

OP expressed frustration at Palm for disabling his hacks. We were just pointing out that Palm's choice was really no choice at all. They need a stable OS, and cannot have one with untested code.

Simple logic proves we are right, and there is no need to get over ourselves when we are right.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast