View Poll Results: Which notification sound do you like better?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • New notification sound

93 46.73%
  • Old notification sound

106 53.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New one sounds like the old one...on a bad speaker.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Don't they sound like virtually the same tone? The biggest difference is the volume/clarity of the tone...otherwise, it's nearly the exact same sound.
    You may be correct. I thought they sound very much alike, maybe they are exactly the same and it is just the volume/clarity of the tone. Does anyone have the old sound file on their computer to compare them?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    new sound is more "manly".
    Love the new tone..... Hate that its so quiet!!
    New tone is less harsh much better
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    There is absolutely something wrong with the new tone. It sounds very murky and unclear. If they cleared it up and made it more crisp I would like it. Right now it just sounds like a terrible speaker.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Its weird... I've gotten used to the old sound, so the new one has made me think something was wrong with my phone when I hear it now, lol

... and no, neither sound is a replacement for having custom notification sounds. I just want my Black No. 1 sound back >.<
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    There should have been an option, "I don't know I customized my sound" I hear people like that My Notification app, and that the developer is pretty darn good looking.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I haven't tried putting this on my Pre yet, but I probably will at some point.

I've been using this on my past couple devices as a alert tone.

It's loud and distinct, but also sounds natural, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the tone. I will be adding it to my page.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Definitely the new one is better. The old one made me feel like my hot pocket was done with that microwave "ding ding".
    Such a funny thing for Palm to mess with. Weird...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    New sounds are horrible. Sounds all muffled. I wish they would give us the option to change it with out having to use one of the home brew apps.
    I am "on call" 24x7 every other week. I get pages as text messages, neither the old nor new sound is enough to wake me up. I'm working on installing the homebrew notification app in hopes of fixing this, with a 5-10 second "tone" that I will create, in hopes that it will fix this. I could carry a second cell phone from work, or a pager, but I would just as soon just have one device for those times. So the stock "tone" doesn't make it for me, old or new....
    The new sound is a lower pitch and sounds a bit muffled. The high pitched old one really got my attention this one not so much.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    This really pisses me off.

Not only do they not have a preference to specify a text message sound, but then they go and make it worse!

Hey Palm - you're idiots! Not all of us are as young as your probably fresh out of college programmers! I can't hear the !@#$% sound half the time!

I'm a developer, I know how easy this is.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post

Yes. Now if they'll just make the key tones on the phone less harsh, I can turn up the system sound volume to where I can hear the new one.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    This really pisses me off.

Not only do they not have a preference to specify a text message sound, but then they go and make it worse!

Hey Palm - you're idiots! Not all of us are as young as your probably fresh out of college programmers! I can't hear the !@#$% sound half the time!

I'm a developer, I know how easy this is.
    Wow dude - Chillax.

It's just a freakin sound And there are numerous ways to change the sound, I know of at least 4, including a way to have a seperate sound for just text messages compared to charging and email.

If you're a developer and know how easy it is then change it for yourself. Palm has given us one of the most open and accessible devices. I'm NOT a developer and I created http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-3-6-30-a.html

It's been stated that Palm wanted to make a simple device to ease the learning curve and they would add features later.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Not a fan of the new one. It sounds washed out if that makes sense. Both are annoying, but at least the old one was louder and easier to hear especially if the phone is in your pocket.
    I really feel that this is a glimpse of what is to come. I hate to say it but I really can't think of another reason for Palm to change it other than we are their beta testers. I can't be for sure because I haven't even had time to begin looking at the code but I imagine they had some issues and now are testing things out. This is obviously just a pure guess and I have nothing to base this on. It just got me thinking though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast