1.    #1  
    So, I am finally going to buy the Pre tomorrow. I have noticed that Best Buy and Radio Shack give you an instant rebate while the official Sprint store gives a mail-in-rebate. Is there any benefit to going with the official Sprint store? I realize that if something goes wrong within the first 30 days then I will have to take it back to BB or Radio Shack, but what happens after that? I am planning on getting the insurance, does that change anything?

Thanks!
    Last edited by thebitguru; 07/23/2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Sorry, I accidentally posted a partial message.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebitguru View Post
    So, I am finally going to buy the Pre tomorrow. I have noticed that Best Buy and Radio Shack give you an instant rebate while the official Sprint store gives a mail-in-rebate. Is there any benefit to going with the official Sprint store? I realize that if something goes wrong within the first 30 days then I will have to take it back to BB or Radio Shack, but what happens after that? I am planning on getting the insurance, does that change anything?

Thanks!
    you will have to take it back to the original retailer within the 30 days. i bought mine at walmart.
    every thing else is the same, insurance, plans, ect.

in some cases you might be able to go to a corporate store ans opposed to a franchise and get your phone serviced.

good luck, it is a cool phone.
    (I just posted this on another thread. Thought it might help you as well)

You should but it from Sprint store if you are concerned about post-buying problems. Sprint has a very generous 30-day no questions asked return policy. They will also gladly replace your phone during this time if you have problems with your set. Another advantage is that they will waive the $36 activation fee.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    bought my Pre about 6 days ago from Best Buy, they do the instant rebate there, very easy process and got the black tie program for the hardware of the phone
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pretastic View Post
    ....You should but it from Sprint store if you are concerned about post-buying problems. Sprint has a very generous 30-day no questions asked return policy. They will also gladly replace your phone during this time if you have problems with your set. Another advantage is that they will waive the $36 activation fee.
    Activation/upgrade fees are not always waived at corporate stores, it's at the discretion of the salesperson. 3rd party Sprint stores cannot waive the fees at all.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebitguru View Post
    So, I am finally going to buy the Pre tomorrow. I have noticed that Best Buy and Radio Shack give you an instant rebate while the official Sprint store gives a mail-in-rebate. Is there any benefit to going with the official Sprint store? I realize that if something goes wrong within the first 30 days then I will have to take it back to BB or Radio Shack, but what happens after that? I am planning on getting the insurance, does that change anything?....
    Your milage may vary going to one of these stores for your Pre, most people have had no issue, but some have had trouble getting their phones replaced due to lack of supply at BB and RS. Then again some folks have had similar issues at Sprint stores, so it's your call.

Something else to think about is that BB and RS do not know anything about these phones and any questions you may have they will not be able to help you with. A Sprint store will be able to answer questions, help you setup the phone, and advise you on tips and tricks. Each Sprint store has a Pre Advocate that is specially trained in using and setting up the Pre.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoa2000 View Post
    you will have to take it back to the original retailer within the 30 days. i bought mine at walmart.
    every thing else is the same, insurance, plans, ect.

in some cases you might be able to go to a corporate store ans opposed to a franchise and get your phone serviced.

good luck, it is a cool phone.
    I bought mine @ RS and was able to exchange twice no questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Something else to think about is that BB and RS do not know anything about these phones and any questions you may have they will not be able to help you with.
    That statement is not true. The mobile manager at my local Best Buy had an extensive hands-on training session from Sprint the week before release. She had a very good handle on the features and applications before release day, and was able to properly demo the phone and field questions on the plans.

I guess it all depends on the area, as I'm sure that Southern California is considered a pretty big market.
  9.    #9  
    All right, I ended up ordering through tele sales instead because there was a going to be a huge difference if I went with the Sprint store (around $150); tele sales had no activation fee and offered a significant service credit because I was going with a family plan. Now just gotta wait for the Pre to show up, can't wait! =D
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Keep in mind Best Buy Mobile also taxes on the retail cost of the phone, which in California when I got it was $849.99 * 9.25% = $64~. So I paid out the door $265+..
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I returned 2 at walmart no prob. They were very careful to make sure I returned everything though.I have heard that some sprint stores will let you keep all of the old stuff from your previous phone.

Enjoy your phone and don't believe all the negative hype. I've actually google a few of the negative posters screen names and you can find them on other boards doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandersen View Post
    Keep in mind Best Buy Mobile also taxes on the retail cost of the phone, which in California when I got it was $849.99 * 9.25% = $64~. So I paid out the door $265+..
    Um, that's a state law...it has nothing to do with Best Buy.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    At a radio shack do they exchange for a new one within 30 days or a refurb?