Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    People need to read directions, it specifically said "DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY". Doesn't matter if it takes more than the 20-30 minutes it said it would take. Bake a pie, mow the lawn while it updates, people being impatient are what's causing issues....
    Some of you are so arrogant about being experts...

I had the same problem with my phone and did not remove the battery or anything like that. I simply had a phone that continued to re-cycle itself for approximately 4 hours until the battery was dead.

I agree that it is a small minority that is having this problem, but it's real and it doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong. Get off the high horse and let this forum do what it is intended, to help people to use their pre effieciently, share ideas, discuss and troubleshoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildemc View Post
    Some of you are so arrogant about being experts...

I had the same problem with my phone and did not remove the battery or anything like that. I simply had a phone that continued to re-cycle itself for approximately 4 hours until the battery was dead.

I agree that it is a small minority that is having this problem, but it's real and it doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong. Get off the high horse and let this forum do what it is intended, to help people to use their pre effieciently, share ideas, discuss and troubleshoot.
    And, in your case there's a problem. However, when you're looking at a device and it says "Do not remove batter", and you do, guess what folks are going to say about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I hope things work out for you Darth. Have you tried calling Palm's support? Looks like it may cost you to talk to them.

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Support Services
    Nah, I went into the Sprint store today, they know me there and know if I had issues with my phone, it wasn't my doing. They swapped it right out and I did the update in their store using their wifi. No big deal really, I am glad it's been taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And, in your case there's a problem. However, when you're looking at a device and it says "Do not remove batter", and you do, guess what folks are going to say about you?
    Who said they removed the battery when the screen displayed "Do Not Remove the Battery"?

No one in this thread has done that; only when it either rebooted to a borked card view or infinite loop of restarting (which is OBVIOUSLY not normal). The webOS doctor is supposed to be able to fix that if someone were to do that anyways. People who are responding are repeating the same thing; no one here did that while it was writing to the rom (or stated they had).

Palm told me it sounds like my memory was fried during the update, thus preventing me from being able to even use webOS doctor. Ah well...
    I hope things work out for you Darth. Have you tried calling Palm's support? Looks like it may cost you to talk to them.

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Support Services
    Not if within the first 90 days. Scroll down the link above to the "Palm Phone Support" option and click "call now."
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brewsterdmb View Post
    I started the update with 8% battery and it installed and restarted with no incident.

<<<cough>> BS <<cough>>

bj
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Nah, I went into the Sprint store today, they know me there and know if I had issues with my phone, it wasn't my doing. They swapped it right out and I did the update in their store using their wifi. No big deal really, I am glad it's been taken care of.
    Did they give you a brand new phone or a refurb?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    This is the number to Sprint's PDA support 1-877-809-6696. Essentially, what they had me do was in the phone app, go to the Pre's diagnostic's menu. It's ##786# on your keyboard. Then there's a reset option in that menu. It will ask for the phone's master unlock code. I forgot what that code is. Once that's inputted, the phone will restart. It will then take you back to the Palm Profile screen. It then gave me the data connection, so you can connect to the network.
    Barrysanders ur my hero! So this is what happened and how I fixed it:
    1)Tried to download/install 1.1 update- I think the download failed to fully work but the palm still tried to install it
    2)Phone rebooted fine but I got a 'phone offline' message. no rebooting/airplane mode would fix it
    3)used webos dr., reset my phone but when I went to login to my palm profile, it said I wasnt on the cell network
    4)Thanks to barrysanders, directly called pda support (they still werent sure what to do) but I told them what you told me, and they agreed it sounded right- so I went into the dialer and dialed ##786#, then scrolled down to the bottom and hit 'reset' and entered my unlock code (every phone is different- you have to call sprint) as the key and it reset and worked!!!!!!! not sure if this is a universal key or not though. My phone reset in 1.04, but I installed 1.10 making sure I had a good connection- all is well!!! Thanks barry!
    Last edited by wp746911; 07/25/2009 at 08:47 AM.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    Barrysanders ur my hero! So this is what happened and how I fixed it:
    1)Tried to download/install 1.1 update- I think the download failed to fully work but the palm still tried to install it
    2)Phone rebooted fine but I got a 'phone offline' message. no rebooting/airplane mode would fix it
    3)used webos dr., reset my phone but when I went to login to my palm profile, it said I wasnt on the cell network
    4)Thanks to barrysanders, directly called pda support (they still werent sure what to do) but I told them what you told me, and they agreed it sounded right- so I went into the dialer and dialed ##786#, then scrolled down to the bottom and hit 'reset' and entered 335840 as the key and it reset and worked!!!!!!! not sure if this is a universal key or not though. My phone reset in 1.04, but I installed 1.10 making sure I had a good connection- all is well!!! Thanks barry!

I'm glad things worked out for you. It's good that the phone is back up and running.
    Did they give you a brand new phone or a refurb?

Both

Brand new in terms of the phone status (recondstatus = no in ##786#) but listed as a refurb status in Sprint's system, to avoid fraud practices by stores.

So it is new... no one has used it before, but flagged as a reconditioned phone.
    This is the number to Sprint's PDA support 1-877-809-6696. Essentially, what they had me do was in the phone app, go to the Pre's diagnostic's menu. It's ##786# on your keyboard. Then there's a reset option in that menu. It will ask for the phone's master unlock code. I forgot what that code is. Once that's inputted, the phone will restart. It will then take you back to the Palm Profile screen. It then gave me the data connection, so you can connect to the network.
    I just got off the phone with Sprint tech support, they had me do the exact same thing, go into the menu and then enter the MSL, scroll down to the bottom and select reset. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. I still have no EVDO connection. I'm currently reflashing the phone using WebOS Doctor. I hope it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I just got off the phone with Sprint tech support, they had me do the exact same thing, go into the menu and then enter the MSL, scroll down to the bottom and select reset. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. I still have no EVDO connection. I'm currently reflashing the phone using WebOS Doctor. I hope it works.
    Success!! After reflashing again, I now have an EVDO connection and I am able to sign into my Palm Profile. Whew!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Who said they removed the battery when the screen displayed "Do Not Remove the Battery"?

No one in this thread has done that; only when it either rebooted to a borked card view or infinite loop of restarting (which is OBVIOUSLY not normal). The webOS doctor is supposed to be able to fix that if someone were to do that anyways. People who are responding are repeating the same thing; no one here did that while it was writing to the rom (or stated they had).

Palm told me it sounds like my memory was fried during the update, thus preventing me from being able to even use webOS doctor. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    My Palm restart screen definitely lasted more than 20 mins, but completed its cycle as expected. It also said at the bottom of the screen: Do not remove battery. Remember, 87MB takes time to load.
    Actually, it was probably closer to 35 - 40 of having it sit there through the Palm screen process. i came here first and didn't see any complaints about the restart process. The Palm screen is idle. The logo is not blinking.
    The above quotes made it sound as if the OP was agreeing that he pulled the battery. If I misunderstood, then I agree, folks are being too hard.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Where is this 40% number coming from? Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    What's sad is someone's actually gonna quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    whats sad is that you think using bad reverse psychology is gonna stop someone from quoting you.
    i mean 40% come on maybe 4%
    Come on guys, you missed the sarcasm.
    The 40% number comes from that bogus story of 40% returned phones.

I'm just saying we're providing more fodder for anti Palm and anti Pre sentiment. I added that people should go to tech support forums to perhaps not make this forum out to be so much of a rumor mill. As it stands now, look at how many threads with people complaining about bricked phones compared to how many threads that people don't have bricked phones. It's all I'm sayin.
  15.    #55  
    I fail to see how anything about this is an "anti Palm/ Pre sentiment" This is not a utopian society. There was nothing about this thread that incited that "OMG, PALM SUCK MAJOR DOO-DOO, BURN PRE. IT'S CRAP PHONE." Also this is a "tech support forum." Even though it's unofficial, it is a place to receive support.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Success!! After reflashing again, I now have an EVDO connection and I am able to sign into my Palm Profile. Whew!
    Yeah I did webos dr first- it basically wipes out your phone and resets it to factory default- but then the network won't work so you have to do the ## thingie and reset your phone. The odd thing is both my wifes and my phone failed in the update- mine just couldn't access the network while hers kept on resetting- had to run webos dr on both of them and then call sprint.
    Ignore the hype, look closer. The vast majority of happy owners aren't going to post, especially here. By its very nature, these sites draw folks experiencing problems who are looking for help.

BTW, bought my Pre this week, just did the update which went flawlessly, and couldn't be happier.

I'm stuck with Sprint and have been lusting after iPhones for years. I'm glad we finally have a hip Palm device again!

G
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Mine bricked as well I had to download the web os doctor and wipe everything and then start all over again from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The above quotes made it sound as if the OP was agreeing that he pulled the battery. If I misunderstood, then I agree, folks are being too hard.
    What Darth is saying is that no one said that the screen told them not to remove the battery AND that they removed the battery. The op, for instance, has since said that the "do not remove battery" screen hadn't shown at the point where he removed the battery.

So yes, he removed it, but not against the directions on the device, at the time.

This was just a misunderstanding. Reading through the other posts in the thread, I see that a number of them are misunderstanding or ignoring the posts that precede their own. In either case, it's a good example of why smart-alec replies should be held in-reserve for as long as possible.

You don't wanna be like me - turning green, growing fur, and living in a garbage can.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I fail to see how anything about this is an "anti Palm/ Pre sentiment"
    That's too bad.
    Just like I fail to see why the thread's...
    Nevermind.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast