Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I'm curious: What kind of battery life did you all (with the "bricked" phones) have BEFORE beginning the 87mb update? Wondering if perchance lower-than-optimal battery may have something to do with it.
    I started the update with 8% battery and it installed and restarted with no incident.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    palm made it easy to unbrick your phone use the webos doctor
    Well... reading this thread makes me laugh. Because you have a lot of people running their mouths like they are Palm Support and being rude about it in the process.

I did run the update, but it failed validation 5 times for my phone.
    The sixth time, it got past the validation and did the update. It rebooted back into the card view EXCEPT it didn't have the bottom launcher bar and upper left hand corner said "Phone Unavailable". Hmm that's weird I thought. I could swipe up the launcher and move between pages, so I did. I finally tap on an icon and it freezes and reboots. Back to card view without launcher bar / Phone Unavailable status.

After pulling the battery (after all of this, not during the update) and trying the webOS Doctor about 5 times (on two different machines, one PC and one Mac, everytime it fails at 84%) I have come to the conclusion my phone has been borked. Returning today. It is what it is... but I did nothing wrong.
    I had a disaster story as well. The update downloaded, got validated and got installed. I was plugged in all the time, and the battery was 90% full. However, after the reboot, the launcher flashed on screen for half a second (with phone offline status), and then rebooted. After which, it flashed the same screen and rebooted again. And again. And again...

After watching this happen some 40 times, I finally unplugged everything, walked into a Sprint store this morning and exchanged it (I was barely within the 30 days, thankfully). The restore worked great (though I lost some photos and need to re-sync with my iTunes for the music). The new phone is on V1.03, but I'm afraid to download V1.1 yet.

Sounds like ones who're having problems are in the minority, and all with different stories to tell. Hopefully, this isn't a precursor for similar stories after every update. It's a great platform, and I love the phone. I do hope these are nothing but teething troubles for a new OS.
    Just to register my little issue in this thread, I updated last night, downloaded and began the install process just fine. The installing screen lasted a long time, but it did complete. Then when it rebooted, it went through the static Palm logo, then the pulsating palm logo, and went back to a static palm logo and stopped there for like 20 minutes. I got very worried. Eventually I mustered the cajones to pull the battery even though this is a bad, bad thing to do during an update, but I decided that it completed the update and just hung on the reboot.

After pulling and reinserting the battery and starting, all was well.

I hope that these issues are artifacts of the first boot, and not issues with booting in general after 1.1. The only thing I've done to my Pre that isn't in the category of installing homebrew applications and providing access for myself is enable SmartReflex at 500 MHz. No idea whether that's related or not.

It would be interesting to find out which of us with problems had completely stock Pres and which had modified Pres.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    got mine to debrick, op try this out:

Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I posted this deep in another thread, but I figured it may help more people if it was in the troubleshooting forum. As a former serial Pre brickmaker, I think I've gotten a sure fire way to get the webOS Doctor working if it hadn't worked for you previously:

1. Pull the battery from your phone, then replace it. Do not turn it on.
    2. While holding the Volume Up button, plug the phone into a wall charger. You should get a big USB symbol on the screen.
    3. Reboot your PC. Do not connect the phone yet.
    4. Run the webOS Doctor program. Click Ok/Next until you get to the part where it wants you to connect the phone.
    5. Connect the phone. It may take a few minutes for the Next button to become active if it is the first time you are doing this as the drivers have to load.
    6. It'll take about 20-30 minutes to complete.

It worked for one person, hopefully it will help others...
    Quote Originally Posted by sblankdds View Post
    I had the same need, to run a HARD reset after a crash that got stuck on the "PALM" flashing screen. A little more detail on the setup.

1. Pull the battery. Plug into power supply and push the volume up button.
    2. A qustion mark will show up (?).
    3. While holding the volume up button, insert the battery. NOW the USB symbol will show and the WEBos Doctor program will find the phone, and re-install the system files and clear all EPROM memory.
    sorry, would have posted link... but under ten posts D: that got my phone started up and working, but now i cannot log in to my profile, says i dont have any service but the service indicator says full service...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCupKaKe View Post
    got mine to debrick, op try this out:

I posted this deep in another thread, but I figured it may help more people if it was in the troubleshooting forum. As a former serial Pre brickmaker, I think I've gotten a sure fire way to get the webOS Doctor working if it hadn't worked for you previously:

1. Pull the battery from your phone, then replace it. Do not turn it on.
    2. While holding the Volume Up button, plug the phone into a wall charger. You should get a big USB symbol on the screen.
    I must add that I tried the WebOS doctor while my phone was doing its reboot loop and it wouldn't recognize that the phone was connected. The one thing I didn't do is hold the volume up button when connecting to the power charger. Hopefully, I'll have no reason to do that in the future
  8.    #28  
    After a long journey, my Pre is unbricked. Thank you to the person who suggested the Web OS doctor. However, the EV-DO was disabled on the phone, so I had to call Sprint customer service. I couldn't sign into the Palm Profile. After getting bounced around, I finally reached the PDA support. They said that the bricking has happened to a "few" customers and they've been busy since yesterday. Once we got the data working again, I signed into the Profile. After checking the version, I'm back to 1.0.4.

One lingering issue is that I now have the white/ heat spot issue. Particularly at the bottom and top right part of the screen. I assume this happened when I had the phone on the charger while updating. It's really visible on black backgrounds (i.e. the Palm startup screen). I'm unsure if I'll exchange because of it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    People need to read directions, it specifically said "DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY". Doesn't matter if it takes more than the 20-30 minutes it said it would take. Bake a pie, mow the lawn while it updates, people being impatient are what's causing issues....
  10.    #30  
    I let my phone sit there for over 40 minutes, doing nothing at all. I didn't remove the battery until my phone was burning hot and waiting close to an hour was verging on unusual. Also, my screen was just stuck on a non flashing Palm logo after downloading the update. It never went to the progression bar or the message to not remove the battery at the bottom of the screen. The fact I have permanent, highly visible heat splotches now, suggests the phone froze due to overheating.

---

I just re-did the update. The process to 12 minutes from completion of download to getting into Web OS. As stated, yesterday after the phone finished downloading, it went directly to a non flashing Palm logo. This time around, after it finished downloading, it went to the progression bar loading screen.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 07/24/2009 at 11:22 AM.
    My update took about a half hour or so, finally finished without problem.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    After a long journey, my Pre is unbricked. Thank you to the person who suggested the Web OS doctor. However, the EV-DO was disabled on the phone, so I had to call Sprint customer service. I couldn't sign into the Palm Profile. After getting bounced around, I finally reached the PDA support. They said that the bricking has happened to a "few" customers and they've been busy since yesterday. Once we got the data working again, I signed into the Profile. After checking the version, I'm back to 1.0.4.

One lingering issue is that I now have the white/ heat spot issue. Particularly at the bottom and top right part of the screen. I assume this happened when I had the phone on the charger while updating. It's really visible on black backgrounds (i.e. the Palm startup screen). I'm unsure if I'll exchange because of it.
    barry can you tell me exactly what they had you do so I can tell them when I call? My phone said 'phone offline' so I used webos doctor and it would get to the palm acct. login but said it couldnt connect to the network- what dept. did you talk to and what did they have you do?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    barry can you tell me exactly what they had you do so I can tell them when I call? My phone said 'phone offline' so I used webos doctor and it would get to the palm acct. login but said it couldnt connect to the network- what dept. did you talk to and what did they have you do?

This is the number to Sprint's PDA support 1-877-809-6696. Essentially, what they had me do was in the phone app, go to the Pre's diagnostic's menu. It's ##786# on your keyboard. Then there's a reset option in that menu. It will ask for the phone's master unlock code. I forgot what that code is. Once that's inputted, the phone will restart. It will then take you back to the Palm Profile screen. It then gave me the data connection, so you can connect to the network.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Yeah, I heard like 40% or so of people who have the pre now have bricked phones.

What's sad is someone's actually gonna quote me.
    I feel bad for you guys, but seriously, call tech support. There's no techs here that I'm aware of.
  15.    #35  
    Where is this 40% number coming from? Source? At the Palm forums, people are having all kinds of issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    Yeah, I heard like 40% or so of people who have the pre now have bricked phones.

What's sad is someone's actually gonna quote me.
    I feel bad for you guys, but seriously, call tech support. There's no techs here that I'm aware of.
    whats sad is that you think using bad reverse psychology is gonna stop someone from quoting you.
    i mean 40% come on maybe 4%
    and just called tech support NOT 40%
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Every time I try to update, it says that the update didn't validate, and I'd have to try later... WTF?
    About 30 minutes no issues, update downloaded, i opted to install (about 60% battery life) no AC power, update installed, phone rebooted, said install was completed and everything looks fine.
    A call to tech support didn't help my issues... webOS Doctor just wasn't getting passed 84% for me...

And again, I didn't pull the battery until way after the phone rebooted in the borked state as I described earlier / infinite Palm logo loop.
  20.    #40  
    I hope things work out for you Darth. Have you tried calling Palm's support? Looks like it may cost you to talk to them.

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Support Services
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast