1.    #1  
    I think I finally understand Palm's gameplan with webos. As the name implies this phone is for everything to sync with personal content that is already on the web ie. Google, twitter, facebook, youtube. Hence no desktop syncing software. All other previous smartphones were based on being a replacement to those paper in leather binder franklin planners.

I'm still not comfortable putting all of my personal info on the web which is why i'm somewhat struggling with the pre. For those business users what purpose are you using the pre for besides email?
    I would say, like it or not, our lives are going to become more and more web-centric. Web OS is just moving that evolution forward one more step.
    That is most certainly the model they are shooting for. When I started working for an organization that used Exchange, I was impressed by how changes I made on my WM phone were reflected on my desktop client and vice versa. This brings that sort of functionality to consumer services like Gmail and Facebook as well (two other services I make heavy use of) so it has really been great.

Any time you use email or contact management with a work Exchange server or a webmail service like Gmail you are using an online service to sync your data. It is in my opinion the superior way to do things. You can always sync your desktop client with Exchange or Gmail but a remote service is always doing the work of keeping things in sync.
    OP - That is part of it, but the WEB refers to the entire OS being centered around web syncing, web programming, web connectivity, etc. The operating system is built on top of a linux core, but current programs are all built from web scripting languages.

That at least is the WEB part of it. The overall idea is to create a unified way to access the data and people you want and maintain a streamlined approach to multitasking. The realization that the web is a unifying aspect in many people's lives is nothing new, but PALM is taking an interesting approach in attempting to integrate different aspects of it into the webOS experience. Even Apple, who many consider to be on the forefront of UI experiences, still rigidly conforms to the compartmentalization of services that we have become way to accustomed to over the past 15 years and could learn a lot from the way webOS works.

So I guess there are different interpretations of what "is" is when defining webOS. Just ask Bill Clinton.
    So much focus on the web yet they waste time with half *** itunes sync instead of developing their own sync software that worked perfectly for like a decade. I'm all for progress I just don't like forgetting everything we learned in a half assed attempt to move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    So much focus on the web yet they waste time with half *** itunes sync instead of developing their own sync software that worked perfectly for like a decade. I'm all for progress I just don't like forgetting everything we learned in a half assed attempt to move forward.
    Way to hijack the OP's original discussion Aridon. *Applauds* because... THAT hasn't been mentioned already (by you) in like 5 other threads tonight.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    and when I was younger and told to get my head out of the clouds... now I see I was just ahead of my time
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    and when I was younger and told to get my head out of the clouds... now I see I was just ahead of my time
    Why stop at the clouds, when we could have doughnuts... in space?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Agree. Its their software, they designed it, coded it, tested(??) and cant seem to relay simple mods to the community for basic features....yet we have more homebrew apps in weeks. They seem more concerned with being able to sync with itunes then fixing their own software. I strongly believe this is their game plan however, they will count on 3rd party apps to fill the holes. 4 updates and not 1 basic feature added???? Im not buying into any of this so far.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    4 updates and not 1 basic feature added???? Im not buying into any of this so far.....
    I've said this many times tonight, but just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not a basic feature.

Complete Exchange support is a huge deal.

And to the OP, not to sound like a jerk or anything... but uh, it took you this long to figure out what Palm has been telling us since January?
    Buying the PRE is like buying a base model car.....provide the basics.....let the third party folks add the extras......!!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've said this many times tonight, but just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not a basic feature.

Complete Exchange support is a huge deal.

And to the OP, not to sound like a jerk or anything... but uh, it took you this long to figure out what Palm has been telling us since January?
    i understand, and im glad this update helped you out...i am just disappointed in the rest of the pieces i had hoped would be addressed & were ignored
    however, they will count on 3rd party apps to fill the holes. 4 updates and not 1 basic feature added???? Im not buying into any of this so far.....
    Personally, I think that's exactly what they should do.

The problem with "basic apps" is that what's basic to you might not be for me. I would much rather they concentrate on their phone, and let others concentrate on the extras.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    i understand, and im glad this update helped you out...i am just disappointed in the rest of the pieces i had hoped would be addressed & were ignored
    In other words:

(sigh)
    ...man the Pre haters have been coming out of the woodworks these days.

Christ, if the phone is not for you, stop lurking on these boards ruining other people's threads.
    Back to original discussion - I also didn't really understand what WebOS meant until a couple of days ago, when I was contemplating why Palm wouldn't allow greater access to the device's core hardware, like the accelerometer. If they allow direct access, the code being written is no longer web-based, but becomes device-based and the whole point is to allow developers create device-agnostic code. This will be a tricky line to follow, because the best applications often need direct hardware acess.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)