Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe Palm did not make an effort to smack Iphone. These updates seem to not be great. I mean come on!! No copy and paste from websites, no video, no nothing that impresses me or I bet impresses Apple users. To think they would make that effort after they're decreased sales in the previous weeks. I could of lived without this update but I hope Palm gets a wake up call soon. I hate Iphone, but they seem to be more business smart. Palm is jerking around if you ask me. Hopefully they give us a real update, an Iphone Killer Upadate!
    You know, because its only logical to expect that after the phone has been out a month and a half.
    hahahahahaha....that's all I can say about the OP's criticisms. The 1.1 was big enough in its own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    I can't believe Palm did not make an effort to smack Iphone. These updates seem to not be great. I mean come on!! No copy and paste from websites, no video, no nothing that impresses me or I bet impresses Apple users. To think they would make that effort after they're decreased sales in the previous weeks. I could of lived without this update but I hope Palm gets a wake up call soon. I hate Iphone, but they seem to be more business smart. Palm is jerking around if you ask me. Hopefully they give us a real update, an Iphone Killer Upadate!
    The Pre is NOT an iPhone. The Pre is NOT an "iPhone killer". It's a cell phone. If you like it, use it. If not, don't buy one--it's not going to magically transform from what it is into something vastly different simply because you feel shortchanged. Never buy high tech with the idea in mind that "it sucks now, but I expect the mfgr to make me happy in the near future by coming out with all sorts of cool updates". Get real. It is what it is and any improvements are gravy. But don't EXPECT them.
  5.    #5  
    True. For a 1gen phone it is great. But they're sales seem to be a bit in the hole. I say we're tied with Iphone but they have a great chance at being much better than Iphone. They could of added even mild features like visual voicemail, text forwarding, changeable notifications, etc.
    Those wanting mature hardware and software development need to buy a more mature phone. Palm is doing great tackling problems. THEY WILL NOT BE AS POLISHED AS IPHONE IN 2 FREAKING MONTHS. If you can't handle that - MOVE ON!
    Sorry but OP = FAIL
    kthxbye
    I think this update was "business smart" in that it addressed some of the enterprise issues.
    There are somethings the iPhone can do better than the Pre, and there are somethings the Pre can do better than the iPhone. In the end you have to look at what each can do and make a decision as to which phone best meets your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Welcome to palm.
    Is it me or these threads just get worse and worse?
    Posts like these are done by someone who has never worked on a real, enterprise level software project. There was actually more in 1.1 than I expected. But then again, I'm a programmer, pessimist and realist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Posts like these are done by someone who has never worked on a real, enterprise level software project. There was actually more in 1.1 than I expected. But then again, I'm a programmer, pessimist and realist.
    This, people these days are far to spoiled IMO

The OP bought the wrong phone
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    None of my biggest issues have been touched:

1. Configuring notification and system sounds
    2. Sluggish calendar performance
    3. Music app doesn't save state
    4. No multiple selection of messages for deletion in inbox
    And on and on...

Also, have a look at Gizmodo's excellent 23 easy fixes for the Palm Pre. None has been addressed. They could have had a huge impact on usability with very little effort.

All are trivial fixes that are more important than emoticons. Sorry, no excuses and these grate on my nerves daily.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Agreed. There's a HUGE amount of stuff in this update. But I also work on large software projects. I don't think most people understand what it takes to even write a simple application AND fully test it.
    Yeah, I'm one too. And I know what a trivial fix vs. a marketing fix looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Yeah, I'm one too. And I know what a trivial fix vs. a marketing fix looks like.
    Fixing Exchange so that now all businesses can use it is neither a trivial fix nor a marketing fix. It just doesn't apply to you.
    Right. EMOTICONS!!! WE NEED MORE OF THOSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I think this update was "business smart" in that it addressed some of the enterprise issues.
    x2. Palm has always been a business phone(edit: I am of course refering to PalmOS at inception and up to the 650-700..before Palm quit ), coming out with most of the latest business trends first. This phone may have been geared more towards the grey area between media users and business users, but Palm is still hoping to keep most of their business users as well. After all, that is the bread and butter (next to the younger generation with this new WebOS device). The number one complaint from everywhere, including here, was EAS email. Well, you get it, plus some unexpected UI enhancements/fixes and other things, and people still whine. Nothing will ever been good enough for everyone, no matter what. There are plenty of things we ALL want to see added, but most of us know from Palm (and other tech companies) not to expect anything, and if you are lucky, but happily surprised. Heck, just seeing an update from Palm PERIOD is a HUGE step forward, let alone 1.01-1.02-1.03-1.04-1.1 etc. If you aren't happy with what has been done, this is not the phone for you. Buy something that has been on the market for awhile, maybe RIM/Apple/WinMO and be happy. Even if Palm fixed every single complaint on this forum, and added new features that NO ONE has right now, this phone would still not be the perfect phone for everyone. It is a piece of technology, nothing more, nothing less. Every piece of technology has a competing piece of technology, which may or may not be better suited for your needs. Do your darn research like an adult, and pick the best item for YOU.. not what's trendy or looks cool. You don't buy a Glock when it feels like a brick in your hand, just because it says Glock. You don't ride a GSXR1000 as a first bike, just so you can "look cool" and "get more girls" when you have never ridden a bike before and secretly cream over a Vrod cruising down the boulevard. The same goes with the Pre. You don't buy a Pre (let alone a V1 device period) when a BlackBerry or Touch Pro fits how you need to use your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    x2. Palm has always been a business phone(edit: I am of course refering to PalmOS at inception and up to the 650-700..before Palm quit ), coming out with most of the latest business trends first. This phone may have been geared more towards the grey area between media users and business users, but Palm is still hoping to keep most of their business users as well. After all, that is the bread and butter (next to the younger generation with this new WebOS device). The number one complaint from everywhere, including here, was EAS email. Well, you get it, plus some unexpected UI enhancements/fixes and other things, and people still whine. Nothing will ever been good enough for everyone, no matter what. There are plenty of things we ALL want to see added, but most of us know from Palm (and other tech companies) not to expect anything, and if you are lucky, but happily surprised. Heck, just seeing an update from Palm PERIOD is a HUGE step forward, let alone 1.01-1.02-1.03-1.04-1.1 etc. If you aren't happy with what has been done, this is not the phone for you. Buy something that has been on the market for awhile, maybe RIM/Apple/WinMO and be happy. Even if Palm fixed every single complaint on this forum, and added new features that NO ONE has right now, this phone would still not be the perfect phone for everyone. It is a piece of technology, nothing more, nothing less. Every piece of technology has a competing piece of technology, which may or may not be better suited for your needs. Do your darn research like an adult, and pick the best item for YOU.. not what's trendy or looks cool. You don't buy a Glock when it feels like a brick in your hand, just because it says Glock. You don't ride a GSXR1000 as a first bike, just so you can "look cool" and "get more girls" when you have never ridden a bike before and secretly cream over a Vrod cruising down the boulevard. The same goes with the Pre. You don't buy a Pre (let alone a V1 device period) when a BlackBerry or Touch Pro fits how you need to use your phone.
    You words are well intended but you're wasting your breath. You know as well as I do that even if Palm made all of Joe Whiner's "issues", Joe would find something new to complain about. It may even be a feature that Joe would never use but he'll still insist that his world will stop turning until Palm adds this one absolutely needed feature.

Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast