Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    The job posts sound like they didn't have anyone that knew how to make our suggestions work.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The way it works is, the code line branches before launch. Issues that are deemed to be needed fixed for launch are fixed on that branch, while issues deferred to post launch are worked on in the main code line.

Then after launch they look at how the device is doing with users. Critical issues like the ability to email .ipk files get their own emergency branch and are pushed out. Serious issues like Exchange are scheduled for the next release (1.1). The 1.1 release plan is known ahead of time but can accommodate issues that are seen with users actually handling the device.

Then comes the prioritization of issues, or triage. They needed to balance which fixes go ahead as planned into 1.1 and which are deferred to 1.2 and so on or simply don't get fixed. There is also some friction involved in introducing a new fix into a plan but it is balanced against the effort involved, which in this case is trivial.

So if we look at the 1.1 release, we see important fixes like Exchange along with nice to have fixes like emoticons, sliding menus and faster photo app. Someone decided that the missing functionality in the Music app was less important than cosmetics.

It's one thing when the fix is major, say involving major rearchitecting part of the OS, as would be the case with video recording or 3D API's. But when you balance a broken music app against the cosmetic fixes that did get shipped, the only plausible reason is marketing. Visuals look good and create the impression of an evolving OS, vs something that not everybody understands is broken.
    also, a never-quite-finished music app leaves a profitable hole for a developer to fill later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    also, a never-quite-finished music app leaves a profitable hole for a developer to fill later on.
    Hmm. You're right, I'm feeling much better now.
    The way it works is, the code line branches before launch. Issues that are deemed to be needed fixed for launch are fixed on that branch, while issues deferred to post launch are worked on in the main code line.

Then after launch they look at how the device is doing with users. Critical issues like the ability to email .ipk files get their own emergency branch and are pushed out. Serious issues like Exchange are scheduled for the next release (1.1). The 1.1 release plan is known ahead of time but can accommodate issues that are seen with users actually handling the device.

Then comes the prioritization of issues, or triage. They needed to balance which fixes go ahead as planned into 1.1 and which are deferred to 1.2 and so on or simply don't get fixed. There is also some friction involved in introducing a new fix into a plan but it is balanced against the effort involved, which in this case is trivial.

So if we look at the 1.1 release, we see important fixes like Exchange along with nice to have fixes like emoticons, sliding menus and faster photo app. Someone decided that the missing functionality in the Music app was less important than cosmetics.

It's one thing when the fix is major, say involving major rearchitecting part of the OS, as would be the case with video recording or 3D API's. But when you balance a broken music app against the cosmetic fixes that did get shipped, the only plausible reason is marketing. Visuals look good and create the impression of an evolving OS, vs something that not everybody understands is broken.
    Ok, so if we take as gospel your big-brain deduction that it was a Marketing move, then I guess what you're saying is that they're stupid for listening to the marketing folks rather than the Oracle Of What's Broken. Because in my ignorance, I actually didn't know my music player was broken.

You're right, that other job was beneath you. I just checked the website; they're not looking for a CEO.
    I'm bringing up a problem that affects me directly under normal and daily usage.

Because I need the Music app to continue playing from where I left off I'm forced to leave it open all the time. The Music app takes up a lot of memory so the end result is preventing me from openning new cards which is what we do with this phone.

Just what about this particular problem seems so unimportant to you?
    I'm bringing up a problem that affects me directly under normal and daily usage.

Because I need the Music app to continue playing from where I left off I'm forced to leave it open all the time. The Music app takes up a lot of memory so the end result is preventing me from openning new cards which is what we do with this phone.

Some people can't grasp that just because the issue isn't on their front burner that it isn't important to very many people.

I would never forwards text messages, but I can see the value in offering it. Same with the music player, having a slider and saved state is important for many, not so much for me.

Some can handle that, some can't and others feel the need to blindly defend every little decision regardless of how stupid it sounds.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    One of the main things for me was the adjustable notification sounds.

I cant stand not knowing if what im getting is an email, text, IM, etc. I have to check every little notification instead of being able to tell by sound if something is (not) important.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I don't play podcast or audio books, but I certainly understand and empathize with the desire of others to do so. It's the "It's easy and I know better than Palm what they should be doing attitude" that I take exception to.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure they're working on a prioritized list and not just drinking beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    One of the main things for me was the adjustable notification sounds.

I cant stand not knowing if what im getting is an email, text, IM, etc. I have to check every little notification instead of being able to tell by sound if something is (not) important.
    Don't make me go there! I almost forgot about it, been trying to chill watching sliding menus.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    You could just agree that I have a point and stop defending Palm.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    You could just agree that I have a point and stop defending Palm.
    Ok, you have a point.
    I think this update was very average. I will admit that I am thrilled that the UI is significantly faster, but I am annoyed that they didn't add a bunch of little things that would make the phone that much better. Also, they claimed they improved handling security certificates, but mine are still all messed up. I personally think Palm wants to wait a little bit to add all the cool features so they get more press.
    1.1 is a HUGE update, as another thread(s) here has already realized. My guess is for every documented addition, there are what... 20 that aren't? Good stuff.

I do agree with the post way back in the thread that mentioned some of these updates were probably in progress even before the product launched.

And the nail being hit on the head in this thread is the old adage: you can't please all the people, all the time. Priorities being what they are, some "issues" will be fixed before others. So far, IMO, Palm has been prioritizing their list just fine (even if I personally would put text forwarding over emoticons)

(oh the emote is priceless, I'm surprised I've not seen it more often... I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now )
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456