Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    I'm totally happy with this update. Palm is doing a great job! This was what I expected and more.
    +1
    I know it's been said at least three times in this thread already (yup, read it), but seriously - if you've never programmed in an enterprise environment for something that will be shipped out to thousands of users all aptly trying to break it, then you really can't comment on a fix being trivial. Having EAS documentation doesn't make it easy to implement, and testing it for even a handful of ways an end user can break it would take weeks. Everyone's so quick to criticize but never offer solutions. The Pre is wide open - I'm sure Palm wouldn't reject a patch emailed to them.

/rant
    My biggest gripe wasn't touched but I'm sure they'll get to it. My gripe being the VERY erratic signal my phone gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbluther View Post
    Wow you expect 23 changes in 3 days? I agree, it's a good list, but let's not be so sure they're so easy.

I'm a Technical Project Manager. I schedule the custom projects software developers work on in my small company. If you told me today you needed an enhancement, you know when I could get that work STARTED for you? Early next year. I'm sure a large company like Palm has quite a backlog of bug fixes and enhancements. Most likely they're from before the Pre was even released. There is a lot more in a software release than just the coding.

Like so many of said before: The Pre is a baby. Palm is updating, refining, and fixing. How many OS updates did the iPhone have the first 2 months of its life?
    3 days? More like a month and a half.

I work in the industry and I know how software is developed, although I work with industrial software that's not consumer facing.

I'll tell you what Palm is thinking:

1. Emoticons: lets get them out there so it looks pretty for the newbies
    2. Sliding menus: coz' we can do in JavaScript like on the iPhone
    3. Exchange: we're getting hammered on this by pundits, quick headline fix
    4. Gmail: why it's good enough, doesn't need batch deletion of messages or threaded conversations. Nobody uses Gmail
    5. System sounds: they work, you can hear them and you can hear your alarm. Everything is fine, okay maybe a little different sound file to make them happy, cos this thing ain't getting fixed. Enhancement, not a bug!
    6. Music app not saving state: really what's the big deal browsing your music catalog while driving?? Oh you listen to whole audio magazines on your commute, well tough luck.
    7. iTunes sync: we gotta do this hack or we'll be laughed at
    8. Photo app optimization: nobody complained but lets surprise them with a random fix

Okay I'm getting tired (still stuck at work with a broken build
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I think the OP was simply trying to point out what he believes Palm needs to do in order to compete in the market...then other people took it and turned it into another complaining thread. Some of the updates are awesome, some aren't, but it took over 80mb to do it...so that alone can give you an idea of the work going into it. But he does have a point, in that although the Pre is awesome, there are a few things that I hope they are working on in order to keep this phone popular, such as introducing a real app store. For me, not a big deal, I love the phone as it is, but as a marketing tool, it is key for Palm.

Speaking of marketing, although half the people on here think the itunes update/hack isnt a big deal, has anyone seen the news stories on the gadget review sites that are already up? Search on google news...its crazy. I just read ten. So ya, that might seem trivial, but if it grabs the media attention, and people read the media, well...the people at Palm aren't dumb...
    Here is the list of features that we miss from our old phones:
    • a more viable cut and paste
    • undo
    • video capture
    • select all
    • highlighting
    • email and text forwarding
    • landscape email
    • email distribution lists
    • Flash player
    • Voice recognition (dialing, commands, etc.)
    • better battery life
    • LED notification
    • a more viable music app
    • etc.

Have you found that webOS 1.1 addresses any of these old features?

- Craig
    The exchange fix was necessary but when compared to what needs to be fixed still and what actually was fixed I would say the 1.1 update leaves much to be desired.

That said when you have been in the desert for 2 months with nothing to drink it all tastes good.
    I've owned just about every POS phone since the HS 300. Everytime a new phone was released it's the same thing..."they didnt do this"...."they didnt do that". Yes, freedom of speech is a constitutional right but nobody held a gun to ours heads and said "buy it". then nobody kept a gun to our heads and said "don't take it bac kbefore 30 days". I bought a PRE because I believed in Palm and their products. My Treo 800w (sadly) was going to be my last Palm phone. I got tired of the same old hardware and software issues and frankly dissapointed over all. Then here comes some announcement about Palm's new OS and the hardware to go with it. I fell in love after seeing the PRE after the CES presentation and knew that it was going to be my next phone. Six months later, 5am and I'm the first in line and the first to get my PRE from my Sprint store. No, it didnt not have alot of what my 800w had. But it being web based and very code-able. I knew what Palm was up to.......it was just going to take time. I'm happy with my purchase and am patiently waiting for when I can say that MY PRE is complete and has evenything that "I" want.

IGO
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 07/23/2009 at 11:10 PM.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    • undo
    • video capture
    • select all
    • highlighting
    • landscape email
    • Flash player
    • better battery life
    • LED notification
    • etc.

- Craig

+1
    i know i know, some happy some not, but seriously what craig said. can someone explain to me why the options that most phones from a basic nextel phone to a htc pro doesnt have. im ok with lets build something new and the best....but why not take the old and transform that to the new and best!!!! blackberry tried to with the storm (fail) but the right thought was there. why couldnt palm take there best features from their other phones and convert to the web os and add what we have now to it.....most people on this form would be happy as a nun in a locker room full of naked guys!!!! just think a year from now........wooooooooooooooooooooooooow..... my 2cents
    The Wams
    It was very clear this phone came without video, if you need video go buy another phone already.
    • undo
    • video capture
    • select all
    • highlighting
    • landscape email
    • Flash player
    • better battery life
    • LED notification
    • etc.

- Craig
    Time to get another phone. Seems like the TouchPoint 2 might be up your alley, or even TP 1 since 2 is not out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Come on man. They have a licensed ActiveSync client with full documentation. Yes it was necessary, but difficult? No.
    You're overlooking a couple of things:
    1. They've set their EAS client to do something no other EAS client does - sync with multiple Exchange servers
    2. Licensing the product does not guarantee implementation into a company's particular operating system.

The EAS was not only a major upgrade for them, many were betting they wouldn't make it before the end of the year. They said 60 days, they did it in less.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    The OP wasn't asking for much. This is what he was looking for from this update:

1. An appstore with 70,000 apps
    2. Video recording...in 3D
    3. Hardware kb disappears and is only available on screen
    4. Bigger screen.
    5. Flatter and more rectangular in form.
    6. Works on at&t only for higher monthly

I too am disappointed this update didn't do this.
    Dude, you left out a major one - the long promised Alien Technology...
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    but why not take the old and transform that to the new and best!!!! blackberry tried to with the storm (fail) but the right thought was there. why couldnt palm take there best features from their other phones and convert to the web os and add what we have now to it
    Maybe because the programmers (on the "in-house" programs) haven't worked at Palm in years, and they were concentrating more on their new OS than the add-ons. Maybe because a lot of those features mentioned were provided by third-party, and the phone's only been out for a few weeks, and the SDK a little less.
    • undo
    • video capture
    • select all
    • highlighting
    • landscape email
    • Flash player
    • better battery life
    • LED notification
    • etc.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    Time to get another phone. Seems like the TouchPoint 2 might be up your alley, or even TP 1 since 2 is not out.
    All but two of these were things I was doing on my old Treo 650 three years ago...I am not asking to go ahead in time. I would be happy to go back in time three years ago to get the old basic features.

Version 1.1 addressed a number of important problems. I am a big supporter of Palm and have been forever. I am not hoping for the Pre to be an iPhone Killer, just a Treo Equal.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/23/2009 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're overlooking a couple of things:
    1. They've set their EAS client to do something no other EAS client does - sync with multiple Exchange servers
    2. Licensing the product does not guarantee implementation into a company's particular operating system.

The EAS was not only a major upgrade for them, many were betting they wouldn't make it before the end of the year. They said 60 days, they did it in less.
    Okay, I agree it was necessary. How many people were working on it? Surely not the entire webOS team.

Look at my list, there could have been many high impact fixes that are trivial.

Seriously, saving your last played track and timestamp in a new column in the database and retrieving that value next time the Music app is restarted. Just how much effort is involved?

My point is about Palm's priorities.
    Because... you're in a position to judge that? Just because Palm's *to do* list diverges from yours does not mean that they aren't working on the very things you are concerned about. We've had 3 updates within the 30 days I've had my pre. Geesh, wish Palm would stop slacking
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    No, I'm a long time Palm OS user and have memories of long standing bugs and no updates.

When I bought the Pre I noticed the issues, knew they were fixable but waited for Palm to demonstrate commitment to fixes. Granted, webOS should be a lot easier to fix and develop than the old Palm OS but Palm's negligence was intolerable in the past and hence my skepticism and I want to see Palm moving fast with those issues. I'm not asking for video recording or gaming API's, just things that are incredibly annoying and obvious to anyone who uses the Pre daily--and those are trivial to fix.

I do wonder, how many at Palm are actually using the Pre daily?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Lets be objective here. There are some legitimate grips and then there are BS grips. But lets be honest people compare the pre to the iphone because it was billed as the iphone killer. Add to the fact Palm hired former apple employees so the comparsion is inevitable. I never had an iphone and dont want one but my biggest grip is that the pre doesn't measure up in some areas to palm's previous phones i.e. calendar, tasks, docs2go, wireless file transfers. I think I'm finally start to get what the pre is about. Just like the name states, webos, everything is done to sync with content on the web. If your a facebook, twitter, google user who likes to keep there personal data online than the pre is for you.
    very well said, I think if palm would have at THE VERY LEAST added/fixed just "1" missing feature, it would have shined a little hope that things will get done...but 4 updates and not 1 basic feature added/enhanced....not buying into where Palm seems to be going, and yea it may have been a mistake to buy this phone and thats on me....but in truth its the best phone Sprint offers, at least right now.....
    Seriously, saving your last played track and timestamp in a new column in the database and retrieving that value next time the Music app is restarted. Just how much effort is involved?

Except, you're trying to force a new device to old ways...
    If you wan to pick up the last track and timestamp, why stop the program to begin with. Pause it, move on to whatever else you want to do, and pick back up when you're ready.

To me, this is the kind of thing (like desktop syncing) that Palm probably said "Let's get them doing the new stuff, then we'll see if we really need to add the "old way" back into the mix..."
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast