Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    I can't believe Palm did not make an effort to smack Iphone. These updates seem to not be great. I mean come on!! No copy and paste from websites, no video, no nothing that impresses me or I bet impresses Apple users. To think they would make that effort after they're decreased sales in the previous weeks. I could of lived without this update but I hope Palm gets a wake up call soon. I hate Iphone, but they seem to be more business smart. Palm is jerking around if you ask me. Hopefully they give us a real update, an Iphone Killer Upadate!
    What the Who! Did you think it would change it shape and color over and update. This thing is still and infant lots of time to grow.
    "Well, I don't favor talkin' to vermin, but I'll talk to you just this once." --John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    You words are well intended but you're wasting your breath. You know as well as I do that even if Palm made all of Joe Whiner's "issues", Joe would find something new to complain about. It may even be a feature that Joe would never use but he'll still insist that his world will stop turning until Palm adds this one absolutely needed feature.

Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining.
    I know, thanks for the concern though Posts like that just kind of flow out of my finger tips, don't take but a minute to write. I can't say much though, since I used to be like that. In fact, if you take a look at my posts before the Pre was released, I was EXACTLY like this guy. After being Saved, it's much easier to take a step back and put things into perspective (among many other incredible changes). Anywho, enough preaching. If you read this far, turn around now and don't come back to this thread
    Lets be objective here. There are some legitimate grips and then there are BS grips. But lets be honest people compare the pre to the iphone because it was billed as the iphone killer. Add to the fact Palm hired former apple employees so the comparsion is inevitable. I never had an iphone and dont want one but my biggest grip is that the pre doesn't measure up in some areas to palm's previous phones i.e. calendar, tasks, docs2go, wireless file transfers. I think I'm finally start to get what the pre is about. Just like the name states, webos, everything is done to sync with content on the web. If your a facebook, twitter, google user who likes to keep there personal data online than the pre is for you.
    You words are well intended but you're wasting your breath. You know as well as I do that even if Palm made all of Joe Whiner's "issues", Joe would find something new to complain about. It may even be a feature that Joe would never use but he'll still insist that his world will stop turning until Palm adds this one absolutely needed feature.

Some people are just not happy unless they are complaining.
    Why are you apologizing for Palm?

Because the Music app doesn't save state I leave it open and it takes up RAM I could use for other apps. Just how hard would it be to save state to the database, seriously? Isn't this one of the fundamental things apps do when they exit on webOS?

And having to set my alarm and notification sound to the same level? And not being able to delete more than one email message at a time? How do you manage your inbox without it? All it takes is a friggin checkbox.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    3. Music app doesn't save state
    What does that ^^^^^ mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Posts like these are done by someone who has never worked on a real, enterprise level software project. There was actually more in 1.1 than I expected. But then again, I'm a programmer, pessimist and realist.
    Welcome to Palm.
    Agreed. There's a HUGE amount of stuff in this update. But I also work on large software projects. I don't think most people understand what it takes to even write a simple application AND fully test it.

An update with fixes of this magnitude is no easy feat. Some people need to go look just what the whole Software Development Process is all about, why its in place, and why it takes time. It is HIGHLY likely these updates were being worked on well before the Pre was even released.
    Last edited by Brain_ReCall; 07/23/2009 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    What does that ^^^^^ mean?
    as in after you exit and re-open the music app it doesnt have what you were just listening to ready to be played again. think of it like when you turn on/off your ipod
  9.    #29  
    I think some of you are taking this defensively. My focus point is what can Palm do to increase they're sales. You can call it what you want, whether it's complaining, whining, or giving advice. But they are competing with phones, not toys. When it comes down to it, the smallest things make the biggest difference.

I am 100% behind Palm, but who wants to see them get unexpected low sales. When you have a customer and you have the two best products, and the customer asks "which one is better?", you don't say I don't know. Usually if they are both great, it comes down to the key features.

And for you guys who are complaining about "complainers", that is what makes a business better. Palm needs to cover all they're bases.

Is that enough complaining for you I ask???
    Yeah, I'm one too. And I know what a trivial fix vs. a marketing fix looks like.
    Then you recognize that the changes in EAS alone would make it more than a "trivial fix".

Or... maybe you don't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    But lets be honest people compare the pre to the iphone because it was billed as the iphone killer. Add to the fact Palm hired former apple employees so the comparsion is inevitable.
    Huh?? Billed by who?

I never had an iphone and dont want one but my biggest grip is that the pre doesn't measure up in some areas to palm's previous phones i.e. calendar, tasks, docs2go, wireless file transfers.
    I've said before, will say again. Docs2G was not a Palm product, the company that wrote it is working one one for the Pre. Palm hasn't "innovated" in the PIM area in years. They didn't keep the programmers around doing nothing, "just in case" they came up with a new OS someday. They're starting completely from scratch. What they "knew before" really doesn't apply right now.

I think I'm finally start to get what the pre is about. Just like the name states, webos, everything is done to sync with content on the web. If your a facebook, twitter, google user who likes to keep there personal data online than the pre is for you.
    On this, we agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Then you recognize that the changes in EAS alone would make it more than a "trivial fix".

Or... maybe you don't...
    Come on man. They have a licensed ActiveSync client with full documentation. Yes it was necessary, but difficult? No.

Also check out Gizmodo's list of 23 easy Pre fixes: Living With the Pre: 23 Things Palm Could Improve By Software
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Hey, at least this update wasn't like a Mythic Warhammer update that broke more things than it fixed. HEEEYYOOOO!
    I'm totally happy with this update. Palm is doing a great job! This was what I expected and more.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Also check out Gizmodo's list of 23 easy Pre fixes
    Wow you expect 23 changes in 3 days? I agree, it's a good list, but let's not be so sure they're so easy.

I'm a Technical Project Manager. I schedule the custom projects software developers work on in my small company. If you told me today you needed an enhancement, you know when I could get that work STARTED for you? Early next year. I'm sure a large company like Palm has quite a backlog of bug fixes and enhancements. Most likely they're from before the Pre was even released. There is a lot more in a software release than just the coding.

Like so many of said before: The Pre is a baby. Palm is updating, refining, and fixing. How many OS updates did the iPhone have the first 2 months of its life?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The OP wasn't asking for much. This is what he was looking for from this update:

1. An appstore with 70,000 apps
    2. Video recording...in 3D
    3. Hardware kb disappears and is only available on screen
    4. Bigger screen.
    5. Flatter and more rectangular in form.
    6. Works on at&t only for higher monthly

I too am disappointed this update didn't do this.
    I'm not disappointed in this update. Yeah for consumer users of the phone there nothing that spectacular unless you are an NFL fan. Business users probably feel they got a little closer to where they want the phone to be. I figure this is the way it will be. Updates with little modifications with the occasional big item. I think the important thing is that they have been offering consistent updates and I assume their biggest motive is to get the OS as primed as can be before they start adding all sorts of other functions. I think the most important aspect of this update has yet to be seen and that is the phone is now on the same version as the SDK which probably means we should see the app catalog start to expand sooner than later.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Even if you give the whole world to these people they will never be satisfied.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    The OP wasn't asking for much. This is what he was looking for from this update:

1. An appstore with 70,000 apps
    2. Video recording...in 3D
    3. Hardware kb disappears and is only available on screen
    4. Bigger screen.
    5. Flatter and more rectangular in form.
    6. Works on at&t only for higher monthly

I too am disappointed this update didn't do this.
    Ha ha. No.
    some people are never satisfied.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast