Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Don't know the extent of spell checking yet, but try spelling messaging as "messenging" and watch the magic!

Also, i've been waiting for the "I'll" autocomplete to come back and it's here: type "ill + space" and it adds the '

Love it!
    I swear that was my biggest issue, this find has just made my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Don't know the extent of spell checking yet, but try spelling messaging as "messenging" and watch the magic!

Also, i've been waiting for the "I'll" autocomplete to come back and it's here: type "ill + space" and it adds the '

Love it!
    Cripes. I hope I'm never sick and have to tell someone I'm I'll......I mean ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, I delete ill, IM, and ID corrections myself. You can edit the autoreplace file pretty easily if you go into the filesystem of your Pre.
    I am guessing that you might have to be rooted to do this. Is that correct?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Are ppl so lazy they can't properly type "I'll" and "you" and "I'd"?!
    Seriously? You're complaining about people being too lazy to type "I'll" and can't be bothered to spell the word "people"?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    I wish they'd use the same dictionary they used in the PalmOS (specifically on the Treos). It was very intuitive and had all the "right" (i.e., logical) auto corrections and lots of 'em. That said, one that DIDN'T auto correct was "ill," for the reason you mentioned as well as for a common abbreviation for the state of Illinois (Ill.).
    Since when are state abbreviations 3 letters? I'm pretty sure that the common abbreviation for Illinois is just IL.

Anyway, I would love an open spellchecker, where we could remove and add entries without having to root.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    My old Centro used to correct Il to I'll that way you didn't have the I'll Ill issue. also did that for Wel (We'll) vs Well. I like that better.

And no I'm not too lazy to do it, but when you need to type quickly (or are driving) the less keys you have to hit the better. That's what I used to love the pre-filled texts on the Centro for. I edited them all to be my most common phrases and could just tap them and send them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Treos also corrected the word "well" to "we'll" so it wasn't perfect either.
    I had two different Treos (650/755p) over a four-year period and I never had "well" change to "we'll." In fact, there were many times I wished it would have, but due to the common use of "well" that change was (rightfully, IMHO) omitted. Also true of previous PalmOS devices.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    One thing I noticed with 1.1 that DEFINITELY wasnt there before is typing r then space will make it are! I know it wasnt there before cuz I ALWAYS type how r u and it would come up how r you, now it comes up how are you!! C
    WAYYY COOL!!
    NOT way cool if you FREQUENTLY USE and WANT TO TYPE "r u" (or "thru" for that matter). Consider...other than texting or emailing from a smart device, how often are you gonna type "are you" (Calendar? No. Contacts? No. Memo? Not likely. Web? No. Games? No.)? I would guess that texting would be the most common use ("R u coming?" "How r u?" "Hope u r well?" "Go thru traffic light, turn rt & u r there."), and thus, the context where you most likely want to abbreviate for time's sake and/or in order to get as much as possible in an already short message format. So, I would beg to differ and suggest that this change from previous Palm behavior is NOT COOL At ALL.

<Palm Addict takes a deep breath and climbs off his soapbox.>
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasdad View Post
    Seriously? You're complaining about people being too lazy to type "I'll" and can't be bothered to spell the word "people"?
    LOL
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    ...Are ppl so lazy they can't properly type "I'll" and "you" and "I'd"?! ...
    Needs to see if there's an autocomplete for hypocrite.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    It would be good to have an option to turn the spell checker off. I have yet to see a really good spell checker ever. At work I type a lot of cryptic stuff like unix commands, I got tired of the spell checker trying to fix them and just turned it off.

Yes, I know I can add all of these "special" words to the dictionary, but it just isn't worth it.
    I have been wanting for the r=are and ill=I'll for a while now too. It is worth it to me to hit the backspace for the few times that I want to say ill and well and other words that Pre will auto correct
    Autocorrect is ridiculous for a lot of these things. Are ppl so lazy they can't properly type "I'll" and "you" and "I'd"?! It is a pain when the phone tries to correct things that are correct (such as when I'm trying to type "U.S." or "ID" - and those are both common for me to type - or several other words) and I have to backspace to get them the way I typed them, the way they should be.

To change this autocomplete file do I have to root my Pre?
    Im that lazy

NOT way cool if you FREQUENTLY USE and WANT TO TYPE "r u" (or "thru" for that matter).

I think you will find that you are in the minority of people that are using r and u more frequently then are using you and are. You see?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Since when are state abbreviations 3 letters? I'm pretty sure that the common abbreviation for Illinois is just IL.
    Well, officially, the two-letter abbreviations commonly used today were adopted in 1963 only of the purpose of US mail, and were not even officially mandated by the Government Printing Office until 1987. But the Associated Press (for whom I just *may* happen to work), still uses Ill. and other longer abbreviations. Just pick up your local newspaper (or read more here.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I think you will find that you are in the minority of people that are using r and u more frequently then are using you and are. You see?
    See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil.

BTW, am I correct to assume the lack of responses to the questions about needing root access to edit the autocomplete/spellcheck file means that one's Pre does, in fact, need to be rooted?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I am guessing that you might have to be rooted to do this. Is that correct?
    Unfortunately at least for now yes. I believe someone was working on making an app to change it, but I don't think they released anything.

I had two different Treos (650/755p) over a four-year period and I never had "well" change to "we'll." In fact, there were many times I wished it would have, but due to the common use of "well" that change was (rightfully, IMHO) omitted. Also true of previous PalmOS devices.
    700p did it prior to the maintenance release that brought it up to 755p standards I believe. It might've even been on the 755p for a while until an update, I can't remember, but it drove me insane.
    For the record, I'd just like to note that this is an auto-correct only (and a fairly simple one at that), not a spell checker. A spell checker tells you when the word you've typed is not found in its dictionary. An auto-correct changes the spelling when the word you've typed is found in its dictionary. Very different. Obviously the spell checker needs a much bigger dictionary.

Someone really should port the Firefox spell check--it is JavaScript if I'm not mistaken. That would be cool.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I love the 'r' complete and 'u' complete. My only complaint is that it won't capitalize them. I would like it that if you capitalized the 'U' that it would capitalize the word 'You' also, but it's not happening. Oh well. Nothing I can't deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasdad View Post
    No, that has nothing to do with being lazy or bothered; that's just how I always write it just like some ppl spell certain words that have multiple spellings certain ways. Even when texting, I always type in full sentences and I never neglect apostrophes. Yes, I could have written "people" in my previous sentence, but that's not the way I type (akin to the way I talk, which is also connected to the way I type, such as "s'posed" instead of "supposed" because that is how I pronounce it, nothing to do with being lazy). I do use abbreviations like "I'll" instead of "I will" a lot of the time.

I hope somebody does come out with said program to make the autocompletes custom (without rooting) and to allow the turning off of a capital letter after every period (which is annoying after abbreviations, such as "U.S." and "i.e." [which is also annoying because it keeps trying to capitalize the "i"], and after elipses).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12