Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i just tried sending alot of these to my sister (she has a cetro) and she doesn't get many of them...she got my smiley face, but she didnt get the evil face or sick face or anything like that...even though i could see them on my phone. anyone else have this problem? or know why it is doing this?
    LOL...
    :wtf = emoticon-confused.png
    Based on Korus99's post above (#33), it looks like Palm made an effort to include multiple text/character variations for each emoticon in hopes of displaying the emoticon whenever someone sends one of the variants to a Pre. Props to them for thinking broadly. However, they failed to include several of the text/character versions of these emoticons used by THEIR OWN device predecessors! Last night I texted all of the emoticons on my wife's Centro to my Pre. Only 7 of the 16 emoticons displayed on my Pre--some seem to use different characters and others seem absent from the Pre. The 9 that DID NOT display are:

>:-) naughty
    This seems to be listed in the Pre emoticon file. Wonder why it didn't show as an emoticon?

:-x smiley w/heart
    Doesn't seem to be a Pre equivalent.

:-(( cry

:-& sick
    This seems to be listed in the Pre emoticon file. Wonder why it didn't show as an emoticon?

:-)) original Centro/Treo emoticon appears to be smiling (laughing?) really big

:-"> embarrassed

:-> mischievous grin w/eyes rolled upward

: o ) clown face (spaces inserted to avoid forcing forum "Blush" emoticon)

0:-) innocent
    Uses the zero (0) for the halo instead of an upper- or lowercase "O."

So am I correct that if one has access to the emoticon file, they can add the variations listed above to the appropriate emoticons? Also, can you add a completely new emoticon, assuming you have the image? If so, where is the actual image stored?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by sxelsharif View Post
    i just tried sending alot of these to my sister (she has a cetro) and she doesn't get many of them...she got my smiley face, but she didnt get the evil face or sick face or anything like that...even though i could see them on my phone. anyone else have this problem? or know why it is doing this?
    See my previous post.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    Go to help when you are in messaging. You will find a long list when you click on "use emoticons in a message".
    I do not see this option when I open Help. Even opened several topics and didn't see.
    Mark A. Einersen
    Quote Originally Posted by sxelsharif View Post
    It doesn't actually send an image, just the characters you type. Some phones recognize certain character combinations and replace them with an image. Your sister's centro just doesn't recognize certain combinations that your pre does.
    I may be stating the obvious but keep in mind that any emoticon images that are available on the Pre, or created through modifications, may only be visible on your Pre.

To the previous poster asking why his wife's Centro wasn't showing all the emoticons that were showing properly on his Pre...it's phone dependent. The Pre, or any other phone that supports emoticons, is only converting an incoming character combo and converting it to an image that has been predetermined by that phone.

And if it's not obvious, any phone that has you select an emoticon image, such as a Treo or Centro...the phone gives you a visual representation of the emoticon, but it's simply sending out "normal text" to the receiving phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePalmAddict View Post
    Based on Korus99's post above (#33), it looks like Palm made an effort to include multiple text/character variations for each emoticon in hopes of displaying the emoticon whenever someone sends one of the variants to a Pre. Props to them for thinking broadly. However, they failed to include several of the text/character versions of these emoticons used by THEIR OWN device predecessors! Last night I texted all of the emoticons on my wife's Centro to my Pre. Only 7 of the 16 emoticons displayed on my Pre--some seem to use different characters and others seem absent from the Pre. The 9 that DID NOT display are:

>:-) naughty

:-x smiley w/heart

:-(( cry

:-& sick

:-)) original Centro/Treo emoticon appears to be smiling (laughing?) really big

:-"> embarrassed

:-> mischievous grin w/eyes rolled upward

: o ) clown face (spaces inserted to avoid forcing forum "Blush" emoticon)

0:-) innocent
    Uses the zero (0) for the halo instead of an upper- or lowercase "O."

So am I correct that if one has access to the emoticon file, they can add the variations listed above to the appropriate emoticons? Also, can you add a completely new emoticon, assuming you have the image? If so, where is the actual image stored?
    Yeah, I've tried all the emoticons and noticed that quite a few do not result in an translation to an image. Thought maybe it was just my device needing a reboot.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I do not see this option when I open Help. Even opened several topics and didn't see.
    Open Messaging APP, Tap the NEW message icon, Messaging TAB, Help, It is the FOURTH choice down.
    ^^ I don't see that menu also. I only see three options in a new message (Edit, Add Picture & Help).
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    So DID you click on the HELP? It is the fourth one down AFTER you choose HELP.
    Open Messaging APP, Tap the NEW message icon, Messaging TAB, Help, It is the FOURTH choice down.
    Oh my bad. I failed to realize that you were stating to click on HELP. Thanks for the tip.
    Guys, if you press the Symbol button and scroll all the way towards the end, there are 3 emoticons listed - happy face, sad face, and wink. It's not a complete list, but good for sending a quick emoticon.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i'm hoping someone adds the rest of the emoticons when you hit the symbol button
    For now... I think I'll leave that list of emoticons found in the help section up for a bit...
    Weird. I looked there multiple times and there was NOTHING about emoticons. I even did a search for the term and still nothing. Now it's there! Maybe the help file had to be run a few times to get fully updated? Anyway, thanks.

BTW, I still think it's totally lame to have to tap THREE TIMES just to get a list of options that you then have to at least SWIPE TWICE and TAP ONCE just to get back to the place to TYPE your desired emoticon. I don't think I'm being too demanding or critical to say THERE'S NEED TO BE AN EMOTICON PICKER like on the Treos.
    Mark A. Einersen
    Thanks One option within WEBOS is the Help this particular Help file is Awesome, It opens in a separte window and all the emoticons are there.
    THERE'S NEED TO BE AN EMOTICON PICKER like on the Treos.
    I agree, Is there a place we con directly send these requests to Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Korus99 View Post
    If you have access to your palm file system, the complete list is at /etc/palm/emoticon-base-dictionary.txt
    It looks like you should be able to add more emotes if you have images for them.
    ...or in my case, making a backup of this file and deleting them all. I guess I'm the only person that dislikes the smilies. Would have been nice if this was an option instead of a done deal. First thing I've ever done (when given the option) in IM/Messaging clients is turn graphical smilies off.

So thanks for making my search a whole lot easier!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast