Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Yup. He cited the analyst that referred to this site's 40% Pre exchange rate poll and called Palm a one-hit wonder that can't compete and issued a sell rating. And some people here think what's written here couldn't possibly affect Palm.
    I don't value his opinion, but I think a lot of people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Yup. He cited the analyst that referred to this site's 40% Pre exchange rate poll and called Palm a one-hit wonder that can't compete and issued a sell rating. And some people here think what's written here couldn't possibly affect Palm.
    Actually, it was not this site's poll... Cramer referred to an analyst, who might have used this site's poll... but Cramer did not say either way... never mentioned this site.

He also noted several other issues with Palm... all of which I agree. Due to the product being a version 1, I'd more than likely cut Palm a bit more slack... but he did note palm has only 1 product... I've said that over and over through the years... no surprise he would mention it.

I don't think Palm is trying to stay in the market anyway... my personal opinion is that palm is attempting to make a run at being purchased by a larger player.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    oh well. The Pre is an awesome device but the QC is laughable. I have never had to exchange a cell phone, or hardly any electronics for that matter and I'm going to be going in for my 3rd exchange of the Pre.

Palm deserves bad press for putting out such a poor quality product.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Well Palms future is riding on this phone, and to be so mum about hardware issues (although im experiencing none), and not getting these updates out quickly isnt making a great case for them.

I know people say "the update will be out when its out", but when you have people fixing almost every issue we have with this phone in the homebrew scene (working for free and on their own time) you cant tell me it takes a TEAM of paid individuals longer to fix the same issues. A lot of it is just changing a boolean statement in the code, for gods sake.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    What we do is post our experiences with the Pre. Good or bad. How Sprint/Palm adresses this is up to them
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Actually, it was not this site's poll... Cramer referred to an analyst, who might have used this site's poll... but Cramer did not say either way... never mentioned this site.
    He referred to the analyst that used this poll as the basis of his opinion. I didn't say Cramer said "PreCentral's poll shows blah, blah."

This unscientific poll has become accepted evidence of exchange rates. This is ridiculous. The grapevine has gone postal.
    Right. And Jim Cramer recommended to his viewers that they dump Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) at $155. Today the stock rose $45 a share (about 27%) to $215 after completely blowing both top- and bottom-line estimates out of the water. Just sayin'.

Oh, I checked that info by multitasking Express Stocks on the Pre, which I'm using to post this. :P
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    If I owned Palm at $3 I'd be selling too.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    He referred to the analyst that used this poll as the basis of his opinion. I didn't say Cramer said "PreCentral's poll shows blah, blah."

This unscientific poll has become accepted evidence of exchange rates. This is ridiculous. The grapevine has gone postal.
    Thats the problem with the tech industry. Look at how hard of a dive Apple took when some random person declared Steve Jobs was dead. It was bad enough they where thinkg of launching and investigation to see if it was engineered to cause waves. Everyone runs with half researched 'facts' and so forth.
    was this on mad money? Trying to hunt down a video now

Who was the analyst?

I did not catch the name....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Right. And Jim Cramer recommended to his viewers that they dump Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) at $155. Today the stock rose $45 a share (about 27%) to $215 after completely blowing both top- and bottom-line estimates out of the water. Just sayin'.

Oh, I checked that info by multitasking Express Stocks on the Pre, which I'm using to post this. :P
    Cramer has made both very good calls and very bad ones. Nobody in this business bats 1000. Regardless of whether I agree with him or not, on this issue I surely don't because while I know there have been hardware issues the poll conducted here is not scientific. There's no barrier to entry. No way of verifying data.

But, Jim does move stocks. Palm will take a big hit tomorrow. It already got battered around this week thanks again to that analyst who issued his assessment based on the poll done here.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Yup. It won't be online for a little bit. CNBC.com usually has a recap of Mad Money at some point later in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakej View Post
    Thats the problem with the tech industry. Look at how hard of a dive Apple took when some random person declared Steve Jobs was dead. It was bad enough they where thinkg of launching and investigation to see if it was engineered to cause waves. Everyone runs with half researched 'facts' and so forth.
    That is a problem in general...

Then again, these are the same people who also got caught with their hands sticking out... they are not wizards... lol
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    oh well. The Pre is an awesome device but the QC is laughable. I have never had to exchange a cell phone, or hardly any electronics for that matter and I'm going to be going in for my 3rd exchange of the Pre.

Palm deserves bad press for putting out such a poor quality product.
    I agree 100%. I love the WebOS but the build quailty is all over the place. I've had to replace a few myself, which doesn't really bother me but i can't understand people that do get mad.

They should get bad press for it and i have a feeling they are going to catch even more bad press in the near future. What does bother me is they will get theirs, while some other companies that put out a higher end phone with many QC problems will probably get a free pass or light grilling. Which is BS if you ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    The video you want to post, Dieter, is Jon Stewart's series of Cramer smackdowns. As I pointed out above, he ain't exactly the Oracle of Delphi, and Stewart did a nice job of making that--ahem--clear.
    ok, repeats tonight. Bounty to the first person who can get me the video clip -- free Seidio 1350 battery -- unless the video is already up on cnbc, in which case I'll give ya a 20% coupon to the store.

dieter@precentral.net

Seriously.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    the amount of time its taken for the SDK to be released, and apps to be available, on a decent appstore, is a killer.
    the amount of problems - like alerts not popping up on calendar events, or the touchstone causing the PRE to charge up to 100%, stop, start again at 99%, over and over.
    These are easily found bugs, that didnt get caught in pre production.
    The consumer (because of the huge palm hype of iphone vs palm) expected the device to not be a 1.0 device, but instead, on par with iPhone.
    What they got was a 1.0 device, a good one, but that doesn't matter, because the comparison with iphone was made by the manufacturer, and so when they didnt live up to it due to the bugs, and no appstore, etc) the problems were evident.

Put a decent appstore together and this thing turns around. Get the bugs fixed, and this thing turns around. Stop comparing PRE to iPhone in the commercials and this thing turns around. I dont see RIM commercials trying to knock iPhone, i just dont think it was the smartest play for PALM with a 1.0 device.

I like Palm,. our family owns one, so no haters here, i just think the whole comparison marketing was a bad choice.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Who was the analyst?

I did not catch the name....
    Jesup and Lamont.

The Palm Pre might be subject to excessively high return rates, according to an equities market researcher. But then again it might not.

Slideshow: How the Palm Pre and Apple iPhone stack up

Kevin Dede, an analyst with Jesup & Lamont, said in a research note issued Monday that Palm's soaring stock price was overvalued, given that returns of its recently released innovative smartphone seemed high. A "great many returns" were sparked by problems with the slideout keyboard and dead pixels on the touchscreen, according to Dede. Users posting to various Palm-related forums also report cracked screens.

Dede's report was detailed in a story by John Paczkowski, managing editor for the Wall Street Journal's All Things Digital site.

But a closer reading of Dede's research raises serious doubts about its validity, as a number of bloggers and analysts have noted.

Dede based his conclusions about the possibly high number of returns on two sources. One was his impromptu survey of a trio of local retail outlets where the Palm Pre is sold. Based on discussions with clerks, Dede concluded that one in three Palm Pres were being returned. The second was a June survey of users on the Pre Central Web site. They were asked "How many times have you exchanged your Pre?" About 40% of those responding, Dede noted, said they had returned their Pre at least once.
    Is the Palm Pre Suffering From High Return Rates? - PC World

And people thought I was an alarmist two days ago.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast