Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    BTW, Cramer is a moron for calling Palm a one-product-company. Does he realize that WebOS and the Pre are not the same?!
    Cramer is very irritating and wrong about a lot of things but he is right about this. Currently there are three smartphones listed on Palm's website, the Pre, the Pro and the Centro. Palm has announced that the Centro is the last PalmOS device they will release and it is pretty much EOL at this point (it's already disappeared from the wireless providers websites). The Pro is pretty much a generic HTC WM 6.1 Pro device but with a WM 6.1 Standard form factor. It fills a niche but it was mostly developed by HTC not Palm.

That leaves their one WebOS device available only on one 2nd tier US carrier.
    Face it the Pre was PRE-Maturely launched. Not a good way to get a buyer if the Only product They have to sell is flawed.
    Despite it's many flaws, I think the Pre is a good enough device to keep Palm going until they can put out a better device. Before the Pre, a lot of consumers had never even considered Palm in the cell phone arena. Now there are Pre vs iPhone debates all over the place.

I'd say overall the Pre is a win for Palm. Future products NEED to be of better quality though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    oh well. The Pre is an awesome device but the QC is laughable. I have never had to exchange a cell phone, or hardly any electronics for that matter and I'm going to be going in for my 3rd exchange of the Pre.

Palm deserves bad press for putting out such a poor quality product.
    Although I agree with you to some extent. I had to replace multiple iPhone 1G's (Faulty ear speaker, then subsequent stuck pixels on 2 replacements) and one iPhone 3G due to battery issues. I think as devices get more sophisticated, more issues will arise. Before my iPhone, I never retuned one either.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ADGrant, I disagree with you. When Cramer or any investor, analyst, etc, talks about a company, or a stock, they always discuss and analyze the future of that company. Cramer’s opinion regarding Palm being a one trick pony or one product company implies that he doesn’t expect anything besides Pre from Palm at least for his investment horizon, which seems like he is addressing the long-term prospective of Palm, let’s say 12 to 24 months. So, do you think in next 12 to 24 months, Palm is going to have one product, Palm Pre, on only one career?
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    Although I agree with you to some extent. I had to replace multiple iPhone 1G's (Faulty ear speaker, then subsequent stuck pixels on 2 replacements) and one iPhone 3G due to battery issues. I think as devices get more sophisticated, more issues will arise. Before my iPhone, I never retuned one either.
    I agree, however, I think a lot of these problems could have been avoided with better QC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Face it the Pre was PRE-Maturely launched. Not a good way to get a buyer if the Only product They have to sell is flawed.
    Possibly so. Maybe they should go back and retrieve all of the 350,000 units they've sold. You know, the units that is making them money, and has skyrocketed their stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Possibly so. Maybe they should go back and retrieve all of the 350,000 units they've sold. You know, the units that is making them money, and has skyrocketed their stock.
    I'm so proud to be a member of a forum where people can't state their opinions without being flamed
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348 View Post
    ADGrant, I disagree with you. When Cramer or any investor, analyst, etc, talks about a company, or a stock, they always discuss and analyze the future of that company. Cramerís opinion regarding Palm being a one trick pony or one product company implies that he doesnít expect anything besides Pre from Palm at least for his investment horizon, which seems like he is addressing the long-term prospective of Palm, letís say 12 to 24 months. So, do you think in next 12 to 24 months, Palm is going to have one product, Palm Pre, on only one career?
    Did he say he was looking at a 12 to 24 month horizon or ere you are assuming? In any case, I am not sure that a cut down version of the Pre with a fixed keyboard (see speculation about the EOS) really counts as a distinct product. One would hope they would be on more carriers by this time next year though.
    We'll find out exactly how many they sold next quarterly investor report, but I am pretty sure they sold a whole ton more than they have any other phone in a long time. Did you expect them to keep churning out stale old PalmOS phones, and windows mobile trash and stay in business long enough to put out a totally flawless WebOS device?

They have been promising a Linux based phone for a long time, and I think they have done a stellar job despite any nit picking or hardware not quite as solid as their old stuff. But I wouldn't expect them to totally change their design like they did and not have any bumps in the road. Its better than running the old jalopy till the engine fell out in the middle of the highway.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The whole numbers thing is baseless.
    IF PALM and SPRINT said they have 40% return rate , I agree.

Some bozo bases his numbers based on our forum.
    A day later another bozo picks these numbers and talks in the TV.

We knew that there were issues long before these two jokers. The question is how many of the original shipment were having issues.

I know six new sales (including mine) that are still rock solid.

If PALM is smart , they would do these three things

Replace the plastic casing with metal.

Reduce the battery heat either by vent on the back or heat sync.

For investor sake , release a on screen keyboard thus reducing the sliding in and out of the real keyboard.

Overall , the phone is solid.

Its not getting much attention in the common public , who knows what an iPhone is , but are clueless about Pre.

Big issue is the quality of salesmen in SPRINT store.
    SPRINT store is where the rubber meets the road , if you got good sales people , then there is no issue selling this phone.
    Breaking news, post-Cramer: Palm up 33 cents, or 2.4%, so far.
    I'm so proud to be a member of a forum where people can't state their opinions without being flamed
    Disagreeing, even stating the obvious != Flaming.

No insults were made, no statements about not posting, just an (obvious) counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Disagreeing, even stating the obvious != Flaming.

No insults were made, no statements about not posting, just an (obvious) counter.
    Don't you know? If somebody makes a negative comment about the Pre - here on the Pre forum - you're supposed to just agree with it, even if it's total BS. You know, like my buddy Treobk. Otherwise, you're a blind fanboy.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    What does my time on this site have to do with anything? I've been following the Pre since it was unveiled at CES and have been on one of the other forums for a while now. I've probably spent more time reading reviews, watching videos, and reading threads about the Pre than I have actually spent owning the phone.

Just because I've only been on THIS forum for a few days and I'm trying to make a point about QC doesn't make me a Troll.

If I didn't LOVE the Pre, I wouldn't have bought one. I love my Blackberry but I still chose to pay a $200 cancellation fee and spend the money on the Pre in spite of what I knew I was getting myself in to.

We can all agree that the Pre is an awesome device or we wouldn't all be on these forums. I don't have enough time in my day to hop around on forums and be a "troll".

Just because the poll on this forum isn't "scientific data" doesn't make it any less credible, and calling it "anecdotal evidence" is downright laughable. Most statistics are based on surveys, this is no different.

I don't think it's fair to come up with an actual failure rate based on the poll, but I DO think it's fair to extrapolate that there is an unusually high failure rate. Too many people are experiencing problems that they should not have to when buying a $300 smart phone.

It's ok to love your Pre, but stop trying to pretend that Palm didn't drop the ball on QC.
    You, sir, are a liar. Your first post here on 7/22 says this is day 2 of owning your Pre. The next day 7/23 you make two posts one in the late afternoon which says you're on your 2nd Pre, yet, later the same day you say you've had only one Pre for a few days.

07/23/2009, 08:44 PM
    Replies: 3
    Is this normal?
    Views: 117
    Posted By SkinFlaps
    I've only had this one for a few days so maybe...

I've only had this one for a few days so maybe I'll give it a few weeks and see if it gets any worse.

And later again the same day you say you're going for your third Pre.

Frankly, you are full of crap. And your motives are suspect.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Dieter posted this today on the home page (THANKS DIETER!) and the irony is delicious. This is from another analyst at Jim Cramer's own site:

Tech Rumor of the Day: Palm's Pre Hasn't Flopped

Sprint (S Quote) has sold a healthy 350,000 Palm (PALM Quote) Pre phones in the seven weeks since its debut.

The update comes from RBC analyst Mike Abramsky whose research team has been monitoring traffic at some two dozen Sprint stores. Not only does Abramsky find "sustained momentum" in Palm Pre sales, but also the return rate has been low, running between 2% and 3%, he noted in a research report Friday.

If true, this would put the Pre in the ranks of Research In Motion's (RIMM Quote) hot Tour phone debut at Verizon (VZ Quote), and help calm concerns that Pre sales had dropped off.
    Tech Rumor of the Day: Palm's Pre Hasn't Flopped | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    If youLve been following mainstream lately, especially during the height of the economic debate, you'd know Cramer is a hack.

He's not to be trusted when it comes to finances and if you do, you deserve it.

He's just a blowhard who has his own show because he's good at yelling.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    pwnd by sharonW
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I think this debate will never come to a real definitive end. Cause you know there are going to be these analyst that will be on both sides no matter what. Like i was saying earlier in a thread I think you will end up having two numbers. And even if this forums poll or any other websites show 30-40% exchange rate I think the higher number will be closer to 15%-20%. Let me explain why i think there will be two different numbers that could be thrown around from now till the end of time.

Now even if in the first 2 months lets just say the exchange rate is 20%. Is that the number Palm will say or even the true number, no. I've read most people exchange their pre cause of the oreo deal, but is that really a defect? In extreme case's yes in most probably not.

So out of that 20% there is probably only 2-5% with real defects, ie true hardware failures in which the phone itself is unable to work fully. That remaining 15-18% will probably be phones that there is actually nothing wrong with them, just some people either being to picky or not used to a slider phone etc.. and how it actually feels and work. So those phones are ready to go right back out as refurbs or what not.

Now this is all just my guess , which is all anyone really can do right now. So in the end IF things went like I said you would have people saying on one side NO NO ITS A 20% EXCHANGE RATE, and on the other side Palm/Sprint and more level headed and clear thinking analyst will say the exchange rate is 2-5% which is what the company should/would really report. Working Pre's that have nothing actually wrong with them but were exchanged are not going to find themselves on the same reports as actually defective returns. Thats just foolish to treat them as defective returns when they really are not defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Dieter posted this today on the home page (THANKS DIETER!) and the irony is delicious. This is from another analyst at Jim Cramer's own site:

Tech Rumor of the Day: Palm's Pre Hasn't Flopped | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    If, if, if, if.... I've never read so many "ifs" in a story. I'm not sure why anyone would put any credibility in that "story."

Basically, the guy (or should I say "analyst") is making a WAG!

He is no better than Cramer.... lol... that is irony... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast