Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    coupon on the way!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    What people are forgetting is that analysts were predicting problems with the Pre before it was released.

The reasons cite were standard business and manufacturing models applied to a company in financial trouble.

Basically, that article (it is posted elsewhere on this forum) expressed concerned that Palm was going to be able to a supply of quality parts to build the device with.

I think that Palm, in its next quarterly report, is going to have to reveal directly or indirectly the hit it has taken on Pre returns.

At that point, a lot of us who are concerned about the Hardware will be vindicated.

webOS itself is a nice playground, but when the hardware stinks, it doesn't really matter...
    Last edited by Clack; 07/23/2009 at 10:17 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    How is this moron still on the air? Especially after Jon Stewart (rightfully so) ripped him a new one.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    +1

The Iphone Fanboy propaganda campaign is working quite well.
    It sure is, well done iphone fanboys for all the Pre's quality control issues.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Well they can't account for all of them. I've had to swap a few out myself. I took a pic. I can only prove these 3 but trust me there is a forth, i gave the box to my sister so she had an extra charger.

I don't think anyone will ever agree with on this is it apple fanboys doing most this. If you've had a Pre working fine you'd probably wouldn't believe most people with these claims, and if you one of them like me you probably wish you were one of you that has a working Pre lol.

I should note my sisters has no problems. I should swap our phones

If anyone wonders why i numbered the top of the boxes is i keep expecting them to ask for the original box back when exchanging so i keep them in order lol, but it seems they don't care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I haven't seen a QC debacle this bad since the original XBox 360's were released and almost all of them had a problem. At least Microsoft acknowledged the problem and extended everyone's warranties to 3 years, and they did an excellent job at repairing people's defective units.

I really don't understand the people that are defending Palm on this issue. I love the Pre just as much as the next guy, but it's unacceptable to charge $300 for the device (which is $100 more than the iPhone) and then have this kind of failure rate. What good is it to have the best mobile OS on the market on a device that has a 1 in 3 chance of having a problem out of the box?

UNACCEPTABLE, PALM!!!
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I suppose the thing that's the most concerning is people taking financial advice from Jim Cramer. LOL
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I haven't seen a QC debacle this bad since the original XBox 360's were released and almost all of them had a problem. At least Microsoft acknowledged the problem and extended everyone's warranties to 3 years, and they did an excellent job at repairing people's defective units.

I really don't understand the people that are defending Palm on this issue. I love the Pre just as much as the next guy, but it's unacceptable to charge $300 for the device (which is $100 more than the iPhone) and then have this kind of failure rate. What good is it to have the best mobile OS on the market on a device that has a 1 in 3 chance of having a problem out of the box?

UNACCEPTABLE, PALM!!!
    The problem is that there is no scientifically verifiable failure rate! Why do some people NOT GET THIS? The poll on this site can be manipulated and should have never been used as a source for anything but saying "It appears some people are having hardware problems."

Nobody is saying there are no problems. It is simply determining what is the REAL percentage of phones having hardware problems.

Dieter has already conducted a new poll on this matter and it's showing an exchange rate of 26% of which 17% say one return and only 9% saying more than once! A whopping difference and including a greater number of participants. That kind of divergence doesn't come from supportable, documented data.
    Didn't Jim Cramer just get called out on his predictions becasue he was predicting everything WRONG?? It's alright because at best he get's 500,000 viewers a night and that's nothing in the TV world.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    The problem is that there is no scientifically verifiable failure rate! Why do some people NOT GET THIS? The poll on this site can be manipulated and should have never been used as a source for anything but saying "It appears some people are having hardware problems."

Nobody is saying there are no problems. It is simply determining what is the REAL percentage of phones having hardware problems.

Dieter has already conducted a new poll on this matter and it's showing an exchange rate of 26% of which 17% say one return and only 9% saying more than once! A whopping difference and including a greater number of participants. That kind of divergence doesn't come from supportable, documented data.
    I don't need scientific data. It's obvious. Even if the failure rate was 10%, which I'd be willing to bet it's somewhere between 25-33%, it's still pathetic. I've been a member of the blackberry forums for over 4 years and I've never seen anything even remotely close to this.

Bottom line: The QC is terrible and Palm needs to acknowledge it and assure their loyal customers that they are going to stand behind their product to insure mass confidence.

Again, I site the XBox 360 incident in which I think Microsoft handled very well.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Thank you Jim Cramer!!!! DIE PALM! DIE!!!!!!!!! Someone needs to be dragged out into the street and beaten for this fiasco aka the Pre! 4 Pre's in 4 weeks! Unheard of and unacceptable!
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    The perfect world of iPhone awaits you. Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out. Bye bye now!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    I still find it rather strange that neither Sprint nor Palm are refuting this. The should know word of mouth advertising (aka sites like this) can bring fortune or rags to them both.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post

Actually isn't that 26% of Pre owners have done an exchange, not the exchange rate of the actual phone itself.

If you throw out the votes for those who don't even own a Pre. don't know why that was there to start with. You have 1726 Pre's that work fine,491 Pre's that had to be exchanged once, and 261 pre's that were exchanged more than once. So lets just go low on that multiple exchange and say they were all only 2 exchanges. So thats 1726 fine Pre's, 491 exchanged once and really 522 exchanged under the multiple vote. ( the poll counted 261 multiple exchanges which we will just say is 2 exchanges each even though many have said more than 2, myself included.

So that is a total of 2739 phones ( not people, the number of people don't matter we are looking at the PHONES exchange rate )

So out of 2739 Pres 1726 are fine which is about 63%

and 1013 Pre's were exchanged which is about 37%

So even this poll puts the Pre's ( again not the number of people just the phone itself ) exchanged rate damn near that 40% mark.

and i'm not taking sides, just that the way that poll was done gave you a % of PEOPLE that had to exchange their Pre, Not the actual % of phones swapped out.

In the end only Palm and Sprint know the true answer, and as I have said before i think the true numbers will be far less than that 40% mark, imo
    Last edited by Omega33; 07/23/2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Messed wording up, changed to be clear
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't need scientific data. It's obvious. Even if the failure rate was 10%, which I'd be willing to bet it's somewhere between 25-33%, it's still pathetic. I've been a member of the blackberry forums for over 4 years and I've never seen anything even remotely close to this.

Bottom line: The QC is terrible and Palm needs to acknowledge it and assure their loyal customers that they are going to stand behind their product to insure mass confidence.

Again, I site the XBox 360 incident in which I think Microsoft handled very well.
    Does this guy remind you of anyone?

"I don't need scientifically gathered and verified information to make a judgement!"
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Thank you Jim Cramer!!!! DIE PALM! DIE!!!!!!!!! Someone needs to be dragged out into the street and beaten for this fiasco aka the Pre! 4 Pre's in 4 weeks! Unheard of and unacceptable!
    Wow. I've had bad luck myself but i don't want Palm to die. What ever problems do turn out to be big issues i hope they fix them and get and even better product out.

Last thing you want is less competition. After everything gets fixed up i think in the long tern Palm and their WebOS could be the serious threat to Iphone, more so than android will ever be , if you ask me.

In the end it's better to have these big companies fight it out for our business ya know
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

+1 While I think your comment on not needing scientific data is wrong, I think the comparison to Microsoft's Xbox is an excellent example of what Palm should be but is not doing. Of course, it did take Microsoft 2 years to propose a solution to the problem.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Does this guy remind you of anyone?

"I don't need scientifically gathered and verified information to make a judgement!"
    LOL

Poor bushy
    I don't need scientific data. It's obvious. Even if the failure rate was 10%, which I'd be willing to bet it's somewhere between 25-33%, it's still pathetic.
    No, it's not obvious. Current estimates are that Palm sold 300,000 Pres in June alone. At your low-end 10% return rate, there would be 1,000 returns PER DAY. If that were seriously the case, the boards would be FILLED with posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    +1 While I think your comment on not needing scientific data is wrong, I think the comparison to Microsoft's Xbox is an excellent example of what Palm should be but is not doing. Of course, it did take Microsoft 2 years to propose a solution to the problem.
    Not to go off topic, but they still haven't gotten rid of the RRoD either. I just had mine die a month ago and it was only about 6 months old, that bastards.

I'm am 100% sure palm is looking into all this but they probably aren't going to say anything until they have a definitive answer as to just how big or small the problems are and where/what exactly has to be fixed.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast