Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Posted in another forum, wanted suggestions if anyone had any

Just noticed a weird problem start today for me. I've had the phone since release.

If I get a call or make a call and use the mouthpiece I cannot talk to anyone, nor can I hear them talk to me. If I put the phone into speakerphone it is fine.

Any suggestions?

I am past my 30 days on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggum View Post
    Posted in another forum, wanted suggestions if anyone had any

Just noticed a weird problem start today for me. I've had the phone since release.

If I get a call or make a call and use the mouthpiece I cannot talk to anyone, nor can I hear them talk to me. If I put the phone into speakerphone it is fine.

Any suggestions?

I am past my 30 days on the phone.
    go to a repair center
    I had the same issue with my first Pre (I'm now and still on my 2nd). I could only make and receive phone calls via speakerphone, with a wired headset, or with a bluetooth headset. I also couldn't stream music via bluetooth to my Motorola S9-HDs but I could take and make phone calls on my S9-HDs. I called Palm and issue was diagnosed and determined that the sensor near the headphone jack had malfunctioned thus the PRE assumed that I always had a pair of headphones plugged in even when I didn't and there was no way to override. If you notice when trying to make a phone call using the mouthpiece the PRE displays the headset icon at the bottom left corner of the phone app and the only other choice is speaker phone. That indicates the sensor has malfunctioned. Palm advised me to return the unit which I did. But I was within 30 days luckily. Thus, I would force the issue with your local Sprint store by talking to the manager and demanding a replacment free of charge even if outside 30 days because as great as a phone the PRE is hardware issues like this so soon after purchase even if after 30 days are unacceptable. Would be different if happended 6 months or say a year from now. Both Sprint and Palm are banking on the PRE so I think Sprint wants happy PRE customers but I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Before I read this I noticed that my pre went into the headphone mode. I stuck a pair of headphones into the jack and removed it and it went back to normal. I hope that fixes it. I will try it for a day to see if it is the problem.

Thanks for the heads up as well
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggum View Post
    Before I read this I noticed that my pre went into the headphone mode. I stuck a pair of headphones into the jack and removed it and it went back to normal. I hope that fixes it. I will try it for a day to see if it is the problem.

Thanks for the heads up as well
    My Treo used to do that on occasion & the process you described above took care of it every time!

If the issue recurs, you might want to consider calling Palm and seeing if it's covered under the Manufacturer's Warranty.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I'm glad that fixed the problem with your Pre. Did not for me as Palm Phone Support also had me try plugging in a headset then unplugging it. Hopefully the issue will not persist for you but if it does I agree also with the other poster that you should explore any Pre Warranty if the local Sprint store won't replace at no charge.
    yup, my second Pre had this problem also. I posted about it somewhere here on the forum and had a bunch of good suggestions. Most people recommended to put the headphones in the headphone jack a few times and pull it out. Fortunately I was in my 30 days so I didn't bother with anything and just took it back. Bluetooth and speakerphone worked, but it was obvious that the phone could not recognize that I wanted to use it in normal mode cause when I put it up to my face the screen wouldn't turn off.
    This happened to me as well, but I plugged the headphones in while making a call, and then as soon as I heard noise through the headphones i unplugged them and everything was back to normal and then proceeded to end the call. just my .02
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    the same thing happened to my 700p. They replaced it, but I had insurance.
    Treo 600 --> Treo 700P --> Treo 800W and me and my Mini Coooper S!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I just had this same problem with my Pre today. I took it to the Sprint store and they gave me a new one for free. I bought the phone at launch and was past my 30 days. They were very nice and I had no problems.