1.    #1  
    hey guys, any of you have your sprint ohone number forwarded to gvoice? if so, is sprint still charging for call forwarding like they used to?
    subscribe
  3.    #3  
    huh?
    I believe the intent is for people to call your GVoice number, which is forwarded to your mobile, instead of the other way around.

That being said, Sprint does charge to forward your Sprint number to any other number.
  5.    #5  
    the intent is for all of your numbers to be registered so if someone calls one number they call all number at the same time, thus the need to register your celly as well as all other numbers (home,work, w.e)
    Just to clarify previous information. Google Voice is designed to be your ONLY number and they have to assign you that number for now. GV handles voice mail really well - transcribing the messages and forwarding them as e-mail or text messages. GV can also ring several real phones at the same time, so when someone calls your new GV number it can ring your cell, home and office phones at the same time, giving you more flexibility with a single number. Another cool thing is personalized voice mail messages for each caller, or caller group, to hear when they get your voice mail.

Google Voice also does a lot of other stuff and more features are probably coming. But you defeat many of the benefits by forwarding calls from your other phones to Google so that isn't really a good idea.

The service has been great for me so far, but there are at least three issues to consider before jumping in too soon:

1) If you make a lot of free "in network" calls today (Sprint to Sprint for example) you'll probably end up paying more because callers might call your GV number instead of dialing your cell phone. (Your cell phone will still need a Sprint number so people that call frequently can always call that directly.)

2) Placing an outgoing call from any of your phones will show the actual phone's number as the caller ID. You really would want the GV number to appear, but I don't know a way to do that.

3) Many people have already consolidated down to a cell phone as their primary number, and they obviously want to keep that. But there's no number portability to Google yet. That will probably change soon, but for now you need to get a new number from Google.
    Last edited by redhat; 07/23/2009 at 03:38 PM.
    I noticed if you log into the mobile site and try to play a recorded message, it doesn't play on the pre... I hope that get's added down the road.
    There was a thread on the forum that I read a while back, that explained how to install a script that would let you place calls from your Pre that were made by your GV phone number. The call would go over data, like a skype call, but would be free, and would not go against your minutes. If you set it up right, basically, you dial a 2 digit number, then dial the number you are calling, and make your call using the Pre, and it goes out as a GV call. Pretty cool. I have not set it up yet, but I will in the next few days. I think you have to root your Pre to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    2) Placing an outgoing call from any of your phones will show the actual phone's number as the caller ID. You really would want the GV number to appear, but I don't know a way to do that.
    If you are at a computer you log into GV and initiate the call from there and it will ring whatever phone you designate and once you answer the call it will then call whoever you wanted to call and show your GV number. You can also do this on Pre by going to the GV mobile site.

Someone else on this board had another option too - I just cant remember it now.
    Here it is:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrinaltman
    I have google voice also. How do you make calls from GV on Pre?
    From your google voice voicemail, chose option 2 to make a call. (Get to your GV voicemail by dialing your GV number from the Pre) or when someone sends a SMS message to your google voice number, it is from a 406 area code number. Just dial that number from your Pre and it will call that other person and it will show your GV number on their caller ID
    Call forwarding via sprint is $.20.min
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Google Voice would be priceless if it had voice command. Then you could call your own Google Voice number and say, "call Bill at work" or "check messages" or "send text message" or "record memo."
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Call forwarding via sprint is $.20.min
    If all your calls route via GV there is no call forwarding via Sprint.
    I am very interested in Google Voice because of the advanced voicemail features (and I have received my invitation and chosen my GV number). I am not interested in linking any number to GV other than my cell. Here is my question: can I NOT give out my GV number? In other words, if I continue using my Pre, will my Sprint number show on other caller IDs? And if people call my Sprint number and I do not answer, will it go to GV mail or Sprint mail?

Thanks for your help...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    I am very interested in Google Voice because of the advanced voicemail features (and I have received my invitation and chosen my GV number). I am not interested in linking any number to GV other than my cell. Here is my question: can I NOT give out my GV number? In other words, if I continue using my Pre, will my Sprint number show on other caller IDs? And if people call my Sprint number and I do not answer, will it go to GV mail or Sprint mail?

Thanks for your help...
    If they don't call your GV number, and call your Sprint number, you will get VM on Sprint and not on GV.

A workaround may be to set your voicemail number to your GV number, and set GV to go directly to VM. But I don't think I've seen a set your voicemail option on the Pre -- I must be having a flashback to my WM days.