Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I really hate to be "one of those guys", but my Pre just arbitrarily shut off while I was at the gym and now it won't turn on, even when plugged in. The battery had been charged overnight so, that shouldn't have been an issue.

Anyone know what this might be...and his anyone else experienced this. It's just DEAD. Haven't had any other problems yet until now, suddenly.
    Have you tried removing and reinserting the battery?
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    That was going to be my next thing as soon as I figure out how to do it without breaking anything.

Why would something like this happen?

Side note: When I plug it in, nothing happens.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    probably a really loose battery.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    My Pre randomly wouldn't turn on or respond to any of the "reset" options, however taking the battery out and putting it back in got it working again. Only happened once about 3 weeks ago.
    You might have one of those Pre's that has a different model battery. There was a problem before that when the Pre's was moved suddenly, it should shut off. Turns out the battery's were a hair smaller than the current ones, and would slip out. (Sprint/Palm gives you a replacement battery if you have one of those)
    If you're worried about breaking the back cover off, don't. As long as you push that tab in, and start at the top where the tab is, then pull out, you're good. It takes a little bit of pull to get it off, but you won't break it.
    Did you have a funeral for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Westmar View Post
    That was going to be my next thing as soon as I figure out how to do it without breaking anything.

Why would something like this happen?

Side note: When I plug it in, nothing happens.
    Was the battery close to dead when you last checked it? If so it'll take 10-15 minutes for it to get enough charge to power back on.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone. All good thoughts.

I got the battery cover off, pulled it, and put it back in...and everything seems to work fine as it rebooted right away. Granted, it had some battery charge left in it...but not a lot, 23% or so.

I have been having a hard time getting a signal where I'm at right now AND my bluetooth was on when it died.....the only thing anyone at Sprint could come up with was that all of the searching for a signal combined with bluetooth being on and all the work I had already been doing on the phone...drained the battery to deadness while I was in the gym.

*shrug*

Either that or I have one of those funky batteries prodigal was talkin' about. If it happens again, I'll make them get me a new battery. For now, it's charging to 100% and seems to be OK. We'll see...
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Was the battery close to dead when you last checked it? If so it'll take 10-15 minutes for it to get enough charge to power back on.
    Yeah but can you even charge it when it's OFF? I mean, this phone isn't like normal phones. You can't shut it off while you charge it. So I don't know that when mine died today and I tried plugging it in to charge it - I don't think it was actually taking a charge. Know what I mean?
    Was it in your pocket while on the treadmill or something? Maybe the battery dislodged while you were exercising.
    Same thing happend to me also. I had left it charging all night but in the morning it seemed to have 'DIED". However, this is just another situation of the bad craftsmanship of the Pre. I took it in to the Sprint Store and they took a look at it. They fixed it by simply taking the back cover off, taking the battery out, and push down on the square of hardware under the battery. the whole reason it won't turn on is because both of us had dropped the Pre at some earlier time and it shifted something around and made the battery connector unstable.
    So again just take the back and battery out and push down on the front part of the hardware just under were the battery would be. Don't worry it scared me almost to death when that happened to me.

EDIT: The way you take the battery out is you pull the tab at the top. That is what it is there for.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    It just died again. Same day.

Obviously, something's screwed up. Can only assume it's the battery that needs to be replaced?

I have not dropped it, either, fyi.
    Yeah but can you even charge it when it's OFF? I mean, this phone isn't like normal phones. You can't shut it off while you charge it. So I don't know that when mine died today and I tried plugging it in to charge it - I don't think it was actually taking a charge. Know what I mean?
    I would imagine this applies to all phones but someone will find one that wont charge when its not on, but, EVERY phone I have EVER been exposed to charges when it is off, this includes the pre

This confirms you arn't the sharpest tool in the shed?

The lights are on but nobody is home?

One fry short of a happymeal?

Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?

Not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree?

I think this comes down to user error, after a post like this LOL

But seriously, wedge some paper into the battery slot to make it a tighter fit...on second thought don't...because you may think your foot is the battery slot or something

Or go to sprint and get a replacement battery, old issue
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I would imagine this applies to all phones but someone will find one that wont charge when its not on, but, EVERY phone I have EVER been exposed to charges when it is off, this includes the pre

This confirms you arn't the sharpest tool in the shed?

The lights are on but nobody is home?

One fry short of a happymeal?

Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?

Not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree?

I think this comes down to user error, after a post like this LOL

But seriously, wedge some paper into the battery slot to make it a tighter fit...on second thought don't...because you may think your foot is the battery slot or something

Or go to sprint and get a replacement battery, old issue

My Pre does NOT charge when it's turned off and plugged in. If yours does, then there must really be something wrong with mine because it never has.

This might be an old battery issue....but why the hell is it suddenly happening to mine when I've had it since Day 4 of launch and never had a problem? Can you answer that, needledick?
    Yeah, when you have two lose pieces of plastic rubbing each other (not to the extent to make the phone turn off, but enough to move tinsy bits) this creates a larger gap and over time, it gets bigger and loser

If your pre doesn't charge if it is off that would be reason enough to return it.

Unless me and my friends have the only pres that can charge when they are off (I doubt this though)

I also dont blame you if you thought it didn't charge, so I apologize

BUT mine charges while turned off, so it might be your phone freaking out all of the sudden, but I suggest returning it (unfortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    It just died again. Same day.

Obviously, something's screwed up. Can only assume it's the battery that needs to be replaced?

I have not dropped it, either, fyi.
    It's the Sprint signal. Sprint knows this. There may be a problem with a tower in your area. Any phone will use up battery life searching for a signal that isn't there. I had to do the same thing with my old Samsung. One weekend was especially bad because the cell tower in my area went totally whacked.

I had nothing and even rebooting by removing the battery didn't work. Went to the local Sprint store, told them about it, they said "Yup, that's the MO for signal problems." They went online, saw a tower problem, notified technicians, what was a weekend problem fixed inside an hour.
    My Pre does NOT charge when it's turned off and plugged in. If yours does, then there must really be something wrong with mine because it never has.

This might be an old battery issue....but why the hell is it suddenly happening to mine when I've had it since Day 4 of launch and never had a problem? Can you answer that, needledick?
    lmao
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I should add, call Sprint or go there in person, IT'S LACK OF A SIGNAL and NOT THE PRE!
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    I should add, call Sprint or go there in person, IT'S LACK OF A SIGNAL and NOT THE PRE!
    WOA! Can you elaborate? This makes sense to me. This is the first place I've been where I sit in ROAM or 1X all the time. Is there a connection??? Do tell, please....

Nevermind. Looks like you did. I missed your post. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast