Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, huge HUGE props go out to all of you brave souls who have tape, glued, or otherwise "rigged" your sliders. Without your having braved the murky waters of the pre innards, I never would have even *looked* beneath the battery to find my pre's problem.

My slider (for those of you who have not already seen me griping about this) has been so loose that it was making my otherwise perfect device incredibly difficult to use. When I would gesture, my whole screen would "skate" to the left with the gesture, causing the gesture to work sporadically, at best. And in order to get to what I began to refer to as my *lost* power button, I would have to grasp the entire device firmly, cradling it with my fingers to keep the screen from navigating over the power button. It would block the power button entirely, if I did not do this.

So, after reading the whole gluing vs taping debate in Turtle's thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...erts-only.html I decided that NO WAY was I expert enough to apply glue to, well, anything on my pre. I'm an English teacher. 'Nuff said.

Today is my 30 day purchase date, so I decided I would return my pre and rebuy, with hopes of finding a sturdier device. But, I *really* didn't want to return my device because it is perfect except for the dang slider. However, there is no way I could live with it like this any longer. As I was getting the phone ready to take back to Sprint I had to yank off the touchstone back to put the original back on. While I had it off, I figured, what the hey, I'll look under the battery to see what these "flanges/feet" look like.

To my SHOCK I found that the smaller of the two "feet" was bent -- and I'm not kidding -- decidedly upwards. It pretty much wasn't grasping the slider bar at all.

I thought, well that's not right... maybe if I just give it a little help. So, I (the one who should never attempt any kind of repairs to, well, anything) took out the English teacher's ultimate weapon: a pen.

Not just any pen, a retractable pen. I used it in the retracted position and pressed the soft plastic tip of the pen against the raised "foot." I layed the pre down on the soft cover it came with while doing this. I did this gently and in increments, kind of working the center and then the sides of the little "foot." Once I had it back into what looked to me like a normal position, I gave the longer foot on the other side a couple of gentle presses to make sure that it hadn't come a little unhinged while compensating for the lifted flange on the other side.

I am THRILLED to report that my slider, while retaining the normal and necessary bit of play -- you know, the kind it *should* have -- is totally and I mean TOTALLY fixed!!!

I feel like I have ridden an emotional roller coaster with my pre this morning. Tears nearly welled upon realizing I could keep this baby. We've bonded, afterall.

So thank you, thank you, thank you to Turtle3 and those other brave souls for inspiring me to look beneath that battery! Because of you, I will be rockin' this pre for a good long time
    Last edited by wordweaver; 07/23/2009 at 05:30 PM.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Good to hear that you got it fixed. It seems like some of them just have sliders that are/get bent somehow, and they just need a little help.
    does it have any oreo or sliding effect now?
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I'm an English teacher. 'Nuff said.
    I had to quote it.
    I did this earlier today also..and posted my results

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ts-only-3.html
    Last edited by leftyman; 07/23/2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    That is great...I also looked under the battery after reading the posts. I have very minimal oreo-ing and tried to tighten it up bc of my ocd and did the same thing.

The design of the guides is a bit flawed. They should have made both guides the same size and a little bit wider. Even if it was 1/16" wider I'm sure it would help a great deal with stability and slidibility (word?).
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsaha View Post
    That is great...I also looked under the battery after reading the posts. I have very minimal oreo-ing and tried to tighten it up bc of my ocd and did the same thing.

The design of the guides is a bit flawed. They should have made both guides the same size and a little bit wider. Even if it was 1/16" wider I'm sure it would help a great deal with stability and slidibility (word?).
    I kind of understand now how they get loose.. The guides..or flanges are not very sturdy and as they bend out the looseness increases.

I also noticed that in the past when I closed my slider I sometimes had a habit of closing it by pushing down on the top half of the slider..usually top right corner..Im sure that contributed to the play in the guides.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    yeah the pressure put on one corner would, imo, cause one, if not both, guides to become loose or bet. Which is why now when I open or close it I try and grab it from both sides in the middle or direct downward pressure in the middle. Kind of a pain at first but once you do it a bunch it just becomes routine and gets built into muscle memory.
    Looking at the design of the slider by taking out the battery, it's very clear that most people's sliders are getting loose because of how they open/close the sliders. The sliders MUST be opened by applying force in the direction of the slide. Any other force will cause the flanges to bend outward resulting in increased play in the slide. This is clearly a design flaw since applying pressure to open or close the slider is normal usage. I hope Palm fixes this soon on new phones.
    yea..Im interested to see how long it stays tight I did this a couple of hours ago and I have been playing around on it quite a bit.

so far its holding tight and like you said I am also being very conscious and deliberate in how I am opening and closing the slider...hopefully it becomes second nature after a while.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by triathlet3 View Post
    does it have any oreo or sliding effect now?
    I would have to characterize the movement now as a slight rock -- very similar, no check that (I just now looked) the SAME kind of play that my daughter's Rant has. So, I would say that must be normal for a slider mechanism.

For the record: I have always opened and closed my slider very, very carefully. So, I didn't bend that flange -- it came that way. Come to think of it, the twisting motion is the very reason WHY I opened and closed it with kid gloves. Oh, and I never dropped or bumped this pre either.

I'm so convinced that it is fixed, that I have even gone ahead and applied my Seidio screen gard that I have had for over a week. I was saving it for my replacement pre.

At this point I would venture to guess that those who had/have pres with incredibly loose sliders, probably have a bent 'baby' flange. I feel like such a pin head that I didn't think to take a picture of the way mine was. But I tell ya, it was way lifted.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Ya Palm could have put a bit more meat on the rails. My Pre's (on my second one) was alittle loose when I got it but I put my RocketFish case on it the minute I got it. Thightened it right up, no oreo opened or closed. I'm going to give your fix a try tonight. I've noticed when I do take the case off it feels a little looser than when I got it, also the gap on the left side of the slider is just abit wider. TY m8!!! Nice find.
    Can you post zoomed in pics and illustrate how you adjusted those "feet" u mentioned?
    I'm not metallurgist so take this with a grain, but I believe your repair may be permenant or at least last quite a while.

When metals are forged and cool, the molecules line up. In this configuration, metals are quite easy to bend. However, when you do bend the metal it introduces imperfections in the metal (the molecules are no longer lined up). In this configuration, the metal is actually more difficult to bend. (Just saw this on Nova last week ).

An example of this is with copper tubes for carrying water. It usually comes coiled and is very flexible. However after giving a segment a bend or two it then requires super human strength to bend it again. So I'm venturing a guess that the flange may now be stronger after the fix.
    I wonder if it was done in the manufacturing process, versus something WE, as users, did... Therefore, it may not become loose again (if it started loose, it would continue, but if proper from the get-go, all is well). I bet, somebody snapping these things together, was not doing a careful job and caused the issue.... once fixed, we may be in the clear because the guides are now in the proper place and won't make the same type of contact - which contributes to further displacement. YMMV and just my .02c
    Lee Ladisky
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Good post,
    Hope PALM is reading it.
    I disagree on the Metal comment. Once metal is bent after formed it gets weaker by my experience. For instance car frames or sheetmetal. Once the metal has bent it is generally weaker at that point.

In regards to fixing the slider, i had my phone replaced for other resaons, and this one still has a twist but not nearly as bad as the last 2. I may try your method, but thought i would add a piece of avice to it.

When prying or hammering the device with a screwdriver, put some elctrical tape on the end. This will prevent the metal to metal contact marks commonly left behind showing signs of abuse or tampering
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    I disagree on the Metal comment. Once metal is bent after formed it gets weaker by my experience. For instance car frames or sheetmetal. Once the metal has bent it is generally weaker at that point.

In regards to fixing the slider, i had my phone replaced for other resaons, and this one still has a twist but not nearly as bad as the last 2. I may try your method, but thought i would add a piece of avice to it.

When prying or hammering the device with a screwdriver, put some elctrical tape on the end. This will prevent the metal to metal contact marks commonly left behind showing signs of abuse or tampering
    just place whatever you think wont slip on it and apply firm pressure..do it a little at a time..I also did it in the closed position and half way open on both sides.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    My clamps that slide on the rail are not making contact with the sides of the rail. They are touching the tops and bottom of the rail. It looks like the spacing is off. It also looks like the small clamp has a screw holding it down. I will remove the back of the phone, and see if I can loosen the screw and move the clamp closer.

Stand by.....
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    My clamps that slide on the rail are not making contact with the sides of the rail. They are touching the tops and bottom of the rail. It looks like the spacing is off. It also looks like the small clamp has a screw holding it down. I will remove the back of the phone, and see if I can loosen the screw and move the clamp closer.

Stand by.....
    I noticed that space as well. It was easy to see with that little foot raised so much. There is definitely a small gap there. I thought that it would certainly make it tighter if the gap wasn't there. But, I also noticed that as the slider moves, I *think* that that space is there to compensate for the curvature of the pre. Because I noticed that at the halfway open slider position, the space seems to decrease. Can't wait to see what you find!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast