Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #41  
    Most intelligent post and discussion I've seen on this issue yet. Kudos, wordweaver. This is what makes a forum valuable.

    Oh, and BTW, never tell people you're an English teacher. It leaves you open to stuff like this:

    I've used the pre a great deal since performing my little adjustment to those flanges and the slider is STILL nice an solid.
    Need I mention a non-capitalization of a proper noun like Pre?

    Sorry, couldn't resist.
  2. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I think that this picture from the Pre Central blog illustrates the "feet" or the "flanges" or whatever you want to call them the best. I hope it is okay that I'm re-posting that pic here. Anyway, the areas circled in red are where you would apply the GENTLE pressure -- preferably with something non-metalic. I used the plastic tip of a retractable ball point pen.

    Just on a side note: I have been on vacation since last week. I've used the pre a great deal since performing my little adjustment to those flanges and the slider is STILL nice an solid. I hope the picture helps to illustrate what I did a little better. I'm not saying it would work for everyone but it definitely worked for me and my pre had horrible slider issues -- not a small little wobble. Good luck!
    Thanks for the picture attachments (at the end of pg. 2 for people just checking out pg. 3).

    However, I have a problem.
    I have a slight Oreo Twist and the top left of the front side of the Pre is detached a bit from the back part of the Pre (a GAP).

    I think that's what is causing my twist.
    I checked the "flanges" or so called "feet" but they seem fine.
    They move when I move the front part clockwise, but it seems like the screw between the top left corner of the front side of the Pre is absent, causing a gap between the front and the back.

    I hope somebody got ...something out of that.
    Basically I think the GAP is causing the slight twist, not the flanges/feet or slider.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Most intelligent post and discussion I've seen on this issue yet. Kudos, wordweaver. This is what makes a forum valuable.

    Oh, and BTW, never tell people you're an English teacher. It leaves you open to stuff like this:



    Need I mention a non-capitalization of a proper noun like Pre?

    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Haha! Thanks for the kind comments. And you caught me... I was posting from my Pre and failed to do my *usual* grammar/spelling check! Funny
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I think that this picture from the Pre Central blog illustrates the "feet" or the "flanges" or whatever you want to call them the best. I hope it is okay that I'm re-posting that pic here. Anyway, the areas circled in red are where you would apply the GENTLE pressure -- preferably with something non-metalic. I used the plastic tip of a retractable ball point pen.

    Just on a side note: I have been on vacation since last week. I've used the Pre a great deal since performing my little adjustment to those flanges and the slider is STILL nice and solid. I hope the picture helps to illustrate what I did a little better. I'm not saying it would work for everyone but it definitely worked for me and my Pre had horrible slider issues -- not a small little wobble. Good luck!
    thank you for the picture
  5. #45  
    Have had my phone less than two weeks and I'm starting to get some nasty oreo action. Tried this fix, it seems to have helped with the gap on the left side of my phone, but now if anything my the twisting travel seems worse. I'm really hoping the innocase I ordered (which arrived today I think!!) helps with this. Otherwise I guess I'll join the exchange bandwagon


    edit: tried a couple more times. This time using a lot of pressure on the left and right sides. Also used a flat head screw driver and retractable pen. Seems better now. Phone still twists, but seems to take effort to do so. That's an improvement for sure.
    Last edited by alan7467; 08/06/2009 at 03:26 PM.
  6.    #46  
    Glad this worked for you too
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  7. catallah's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    #47  
    I think this made a small amount of difference in my oreo effect, this was my 4th pre and I really did not feel like dealing with Sprint again. Thanks for all the effort and great idea. I hope this DIY will help me keep this phone until a SOLID WebOS phone comes out. Thanks again!
  8. dhunt21's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #48  
    I have to try this now, but you do have me scared.
  9. #49  
    I can't figured out this clue for fix the oreo effect.. any video on youtube or step by step by pics? it's hard to understand something technical by just read text.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I can't figured out this clue for fix the oreo effect.. any video on youtube or step by step by pics? it's hard to understand something technical by just read text.
    There's no "steps". You just find the two teeny, tiny brackets which hold the slider rails and see if they can be bent downward (*very gently*) a little to hold the rail(s) tighter. There's a picture on the second page of this thread with the brackets (or "feet" or "flanges") circled ... that's what you're looking for. But it's easier to see by just looking at your phone ... pull the back cover and battery, and then look for two little rails where it slides.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    There's no "steps". You just find the two teeny, tiny brackets which hold the slider rails and see if they can be bent downward (*very gently*) a little to hold the rail(s) tighter. There's a picture on the second page of this thread with the brackets (or "feet" or "flanges") circled ... that's what you're looking for. But it's easier to see by just looking at your phone ... pull the back cover and battery, and then look for two little rails where it slides.
    I don't know If I'm on same boat here... my problem is twist effect when slider in close position.... not open. When slider open.. no twist effect.. but when slider close.. front part can twist a bit around 2mm to the left.

    I noticed that between left rail and bottom part of the rail has a gap..less then a mm. but create the twist effect. So if I eliminate the gap the twist effect should be gone.. but I don't know what material I should use to close the gap.. need something hard but thin.. I used soft rubber won't work.
  12. kaicho's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #52  
    Oh yeah... my slider doesn't wobble as much in the closed position.

    FYI, press only on the two tabs when the keyboard is more than half way opened. Use a plastic tip retractable ball pen. If you apply pressure in the closed position, you tend to also put pressure on the metal rail (with a thin plastic rail protector) as well. This would make the tabs not as effectively tight on the rails...IMHO.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions