Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    I disagree on the Metal comment. Once metal is bent after formed it gets weaker by my experience. For instance car frames or sheetmetal. Once the metal has bent it is generally weaker at that point.

In regards to fixing the slider, i had my phone replaced for other resaons, and this one still has a twist but not nearly as bad as the last 2. I may try your method, but thought i would add a piece of avice to it.

When prying or hammering the device with a screwdriver, put some elctrical tape on the end. This will prevent the metal to metal contact marks commonly left behind showing signs of abuse or tampering
    I am a metallurgist and can support ronlongo's comments about the metal becoming more difficult to bend with repeated bending. This is the basis behind "work hardening". Off topic: I saw the NOVA special as well. Loved it!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    I disagree on the Metal comment. Once metal is bent after formed it gets weaker by my experience. For instance car frames or sheetmetal. Once the metal has bent it is generally weaker at that point.

In regards to fixing the slider, i had my phone replaced for other resaons, and this one still has a twist but not nearly as bad as the last 2. I may try your method, but thought i would add a piece of avice to it.

When prying or hammering the device with a screwdriver, put some elctrical tape on the end. This will prevent the metal to metal contact marks commonly left behind showing signs of abuse or tampering
    Metal has two properties that are relevant here. Toughness and brittleness. Tough means that it can be bent when a force is applied. Bittle means that it will break when a force is applied. When metal is newly forged the molecules will be aligned and so it will be tough (easily bent, but NOT easily broken). When you bend it the molecules get thrown out of alignment such that it loses toughness but becomes more brittle.

However, take the copper tube again (go to any home depot or lowes and try it yourself). It's very tough. You can bend it easily but cannot break it. After bending it a few times, it becomes very difficult to bend again -- I've tried it's actually very weird (the bending has introduced imperfections in the metal making it brittle). At this point if you get enough strenght to budge the metal any more, it will break clean through. However, the force needed to break the brittle metal is much greater than the force needed to bend the tough metal.

This is also the case with the little brass clips in the office. At first they flex easily but eventually, after a flexing one a few times, it's harder and harder to flex. Eventually the metal becomes brittle and breaks but the force needed to break the clip is greater than that needed to bend it when it was new.

So where you say the metal gets 'weaker', it's actually more brittle but requires more force to bend in the first place. If you do succeed at applying enough force to bend it, it will probably break.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 07/23/2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyatpu View Post
    I am a metallurgist and can support ronlongo's comments about the metal becoming more difficult to bend with repeated bending. This is the basis behind "work hardening". Off topic: I saw the NOVA special as well. Loved it!
    Ah! A true metallurgist! Maybe you can explain it better. I'm basically just repeating what I remember from the Nova episode.
    Hold up a minute...the solution to slider issues comes from...an English teacher??

Nice work!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    No luck!!

Following the tear down instructions on ifixit (Palm Pre Teardown), I disassembled the Pre, and discovered that the clamps that ride on the slider rails are riveted to the plastic, and not re-positionable. It seems like a bad design, but I have no idea how to improve it. I also discovered that the six small torx screws have loc-tite on them in case anyone else is curious. Oh btw, it was a pain in the iphone to get it back together again , but it's almost as good as new... (still wobbles)

In case Palm is reading this, I have an RCA slider i bought the kids. It's a model SL5008. The slider on this mp3 player is awesome. Here is a link to it: Walmart.com: RCA 8GB LYRA Slider MP3 Player: Audio
    It seems like some enterprising case designer could put together a case that solves this problem...

-dirt
    Nice job to the OP. It's good to find ways to keep our Pre's running optimal, both hardware and software wise. Well done!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Let me ask this. Is it just the one clip/guide on each side of the phone that acts as a slide and holds the front and back together? That really is the way it looks to me. If that is the case you would think they would have put two clip/guides on each side slightly spaced apart. That seems to me like it would stop it from turning and make it a bit stronger. IMHO.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    well, when I open my phone, the clips do not look bent, however it is clear they are not touching the rails. however, what i have noticed is that when I remove the battery, the gap present between the two halves of the phone (which is quite large on my phone) gets smaller. I think the battery is pressing against the clips, which is creating a gap, which allows my phone to wobble quite a bit. It looks like a rivet, so there's no way to tighten down the clip. I'm afraid if i build up any material under the clip or on teh rail, that the clip will press to firmly against the battery, which could introduce more problems.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I can tell you are an English teacher...that was written like a novel. I was hooked into the story!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8617 View Post
    I can tell you are an English teacher...that was written like a novel. I was hooked into the story!
    LOL! It was nearly as long as a novel! But I was so jazzed at having finally figured out what was going on with my pre, I just *had* to share it with all of you. I have been using the pre pretty heavily all day and the slider is still solid -- the device is performing great. I've never *fixed* anything in my life, aside from grammatical errors and clunky prose. I do hope Palm eventually revisits the slider mechanism. After working on mine, I truly believe that most, if not all, of the complaints issued regarding the sliders are easily addressed.

PS: Someone posted on this thread that perhaps additional "flanges" would fix the issue and I must concur; I think that would solve the problems.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    First, huge HUGE props go out to all of you brave souls who have tape, glued, or otherwise "rigged" your sliders. Without your having braved the murky waters of the pre innards, I never would have even *looked* beneath the battery to find my pre's problem.

My slider (for those of you who have not already seen me griping about this) has been so loose that it was making my otherwise perfect device incredibly difficult to use. When I would gesture, my who screen would "skate" to the left with the gesture, causing the gesture to work sporadically, at best. And in order to get to what I began to refer to as my *lost* power button, I would have to grasp the entire device firmly, cradling it with my fingers to keep the screen from navigating over the power button. It would block the power button entirely, if I did not do this.

So, after reading the who gluing vs taping debate in Turtle's thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...erts-only.html I decided that NO WAY was I expert enough to apply glue to, well, anything on my pre. I'm an English teacher. 'Nuff said.

Today is my 30 day purchase date, so I decided I would return my pre and rebuy, with hopes of finding a sturdier device. But, I *really* didn't want to return my device because it is perfect except for the dang slider. However, there is no way I could live with it like this any longer. As I was getting the phone ready to take back to Sprint I had to yank off the touchstone back to put the original back on. While I had it off, I figured, what the hey, I'll look under the battery to see what these "flanges/feet" look like.

To my SHOCK I found that the smaller of the two "feet" was bent -- and I'm not kidding -- decidedly upwards. It pretty much wasn't grasping the slider bar at all.

I thought, well that's not right... maybe if I just give it a little help. So, I (the one who should never attempt any kind of repairs to, well, anything) took out the English teacher's ultimate weapon: a pen.

Not just any pen, a retractable pen. I used it in the retracted position and pressed the soft plastic tip of the pen against the raised "foot." I layed the pre down on the soft cover it came with while doing this. I did this gently and in increments, kind of working the center and then the sides of the little "foot." Once I had it back into what looked to me like a normal position, I gave the longer foot on the other side a couple of gentle presses to make sure that it hadn't come a little unhinged while compensating for the lifted flange on the other side.

I am THRILLED to report that my slider, while retaining the normal and necessary bit of play -- you know, the kind it *should* have -- is totally and I mean TOTALLY fixed!!!

I feel like I have ridden an emotional roller coaster with my pre this morning. Tears nearly welled upon realizing I could keep this baby. We've bonded, afterall.

So thank you, thank you, thank you to Turtle3 and those other brave souls for inspiring me to look beneath that battery! Because of you, I will be rockin' this pre for a good long time
    Yeah. No doubt that you are indeed an English teacher.
    I bought my Pre on June 13th from Best Buy. I purchased the RocketFish snap-on holster with it and have had it on ever since, until yesterday. I took it off to see if it would have any twist to it, because with it on, it did not. It did have it when removed. When I put it back on, it went away. I guess I'll be leaving it on, which I was going to anyway
  14.    #34  
    Gosh, if my innocase solved it, it would have been nice. Just as an update: I spent the day traveling across country and using the phone quite a bit -- the slider is still *FIXED* nice and solid.

And "Scoobdude" gave great advice above: Make sure you are not pressing a raw metal object against the flanges. To recap, I used the soft plastic tip of a retractable pen (with the pen part retracted). That worked great. Just go slow and easy and make sure your pre is resting on some kind of soft/protective surface before applying any pressure to the flanges

Goodbye wobbly sliders!!!!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Great job, wordweaver, and thanks for the write-up. You know the best part about it all? You did it. Of course it would be nice to have the "perfect" device. But having something that you modded and you fixed is, well, literally priceless.
    I would love to see a youtube video for something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    Can you post zoomed in pics and illustrate how you adjusted those "feet" u mentioned?
    i would like the same
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    i would like the same
    +1
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    +1
    +2
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by niospecv View Post
    Can you post zoomed in pics and illustrate how you adjusted those "feet" u mentioned?
    I think that this picture from the Pre Central blog illustrates the "feet" or the "flanges" or whatever you want to call them the best. I hope it is okay that I'm re-posting that pic here. Anyway, the areas circled in red are where you would apply the GENTLE pressure -- preferably with something non-metalic. I used the plastic tip of a retractable ball point pen.

Just on a side note: I have been on vacation since last week. I've used the Pre a great deal since performing my little adjustment to those flanges and the slider is STILL nice and solid. I hope the picture helps to illustrate what I did a little better. I'm not saying it would work for everyone but it definitely worked for me and my Pre had horrible slider issues -- not a small little wobble. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wordweaver; 07/28/2009 at 12:09 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast