1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just had the most embarrassing thing happen to me today.

I was listening to some music on my Pre with the headset (that came with the Pre), and I received an incoming call.

I heard it ring and answered the call, no problem what I thought!

When I got off the phone, my co-worker complained that I had the volume on the Pre too loud. I looked at her and said WTF, I said you heard the phone ring. She said yes!

I then did a test, I exited the music playing, and opened the phone app and make a phone call out. So I made sure that the icon in the phone app showed that I was using the headset.

Then I ended that call, and used a land line and call myself on the Pre.

The Pre rang both in the headset and also the speaker the Pre?

Why is the Pre using the speaker when the phone rings if I'm using a headset?

Isn't the purpose of the headset to provide privacy and keep my neighbors from being disturbed?

I read about the switch turning off the ring but not the music, but this wasn't a case where I needed to use the switch, I had the headphones on.

Why is this happening, is this a bug ... or is there some sort of setting that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Rob

PS I posted this message in another area by mistake and did not know how to delete out of that area.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

happens to me too but i like it but i do wish there was an option to turn it off.
    i have my headset plugged in a lot and forget to take it out so it works for me
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Both my Pre and my 700p before it did this. Don't think it's a bug.
    I noticed this today as well. I like it. This way I don't have to keep unplugging the headset when I take the headphones out of my ears for a few minutes to do something/hold a convo etc, since the Pre will still play the ring tone through the speaker.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    It is a known bug. It also will not play the ringer through a bluetooth headset another known bug.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I think a good compromise would be for the vibrate switch to not disable ring through the headset, or at least have that be an option inside the "Vibrate switch on" box of the ring preferences. That way you can still get notifications and rings through your headset without disturbing people if you like.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    It's the way phones work, it is not the Pre. Headset or not, the phone will ring.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    I think a good compromise would be for the vibrate switch to not disable ring through the headset, or at least have that be an option inside the "Vibrate switch on" box of the ring preferences. That way you can still get notifications and rings through your headset without disturbing people if you like.
    Just have a "headset" option in sounds setting that allows you to choose "mute all sounds when headset is connected" with either bluetooth or wired. Hearing all notification and ringers should be stadard on A2DP bluetooth headsets and of course wired.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    This "Bug" is causing me to go deaf, and will probably give me a heart attack. I have the "A Current Affair" sound as my Alert/Notifications sound, and whenever i'm on the phone (especially when using my stereo headset), that sucker will sound off.. vibrating my brains and making my heart jump out of my chest..we need a fix for this! PALM ARE YOU LISTENING?... I tweeted @palm.. wonder if I will get a response?
    It is the way the Pre works. Not all phones, however, work this way!

Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    It's the way phones work, it is not the Pre. Headset or not, the phone will ring.
    Not a bug, but a feature. I mostly use the Pre as a music player and thus always had my Pre connected with zune headphones and leave them on when I have the pre off and away from me. If the ringer only sounded through the headset then I would miss plenty of calls.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Feature? If it made a noise which you could hear through the headphones which was un obtrusive and non-ear shattering, and didn't completely drown out the song/person you were talking to, I can see it as a feature, but when it rings FULL Volume, at twice the volume you can get a song to play though your headset, I would call that a bug!
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    It is a known bug. It also will not play the ringer through a bluetooth headset another known bug.
    Why do you say it's a bug...Maybe Palm just didn't want to have the ringer play over bluetooth..
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    As far as I'm concerned if I have the headset connected, bluetooth or wired, then I don't want the phone to make ANY outside noise. They should make audible ringer a "headset option" option but the default should be silent when using headset.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue4ever View Post
    Why do you say it's a bug...Maybe Palm just didn't want to have the ringer play over bluetooth..
    I say it's a bug because ever since the inception of the A2DP protocol every sound, stereo and mono, plays over the BT headset. In BT heaphones that aren't A2DP you can only hear mono. That's has been the case with every phone I've had. So maybe they didn't want it to happen but it seems unlikely. Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevett View Post
    Feature? If it made a noise which you could hear through the headphones which was un obtrusive and non-ear shattering, and didn't completely drown out the song/person you were talking to, I can see it as a feature, but when it rings FULL Volume, at twice the volume you can get a song to play though your headset, I would call that a bug!
    At least have the music fade out, lower slightly, or pause for a notification/phone call.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    As far as I'm concerned if I have the headset connected, bluetooth or wired, then I don't want the phone to make ANY outside noise. They should make audible ringer a "headset option" option but the default should be silent when using headset.
    +1 on this...Isn't this how the iPhone operates?
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!