Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use the palm pre on boost mobile? The reason i'm asking is that i read about sprint phone are going to be allowed to be used on boost plans. link
    Boost is IDEN, not CDMA like PRE. Not compatible.. Maybe VIRGIN mobile someday.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    i think NEVER........boost is a BS network.........its not the same as sprint network.....if it did work it would be SLOW........
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    Boost is IDEN, not CDMA like PRE. Not compatible.. Maybe VIRGIN mobile someday.
    read the link...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The link is referring to accounts being moved, not phones. Try reading again, with a bit more comprehension.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    read the link...
    The blog post you link appears to be referring to transferring an account, not a particular phone. So if you wanted to go from Sprint to Boost, you'd have to get a different phone. The Pre is a CDMA device. Boost is an IDEN network. The Pre will simply not work on the IDEN network, they are different technologies.
    There is limited deployment of CDMA Boost on on Sprints network. I don't think it is possible to sign up for it anymore. It was $50 unlimited minutes.
    I guess you'll just have to wait for the NexTel version of the Pre... PREss-To-Talk
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    I guess you'll just have to wait for the NexTel version of the Pre... PREss-To-Talk
    Okay, here's where weirdness gets involved. I actually did read an article that quoted a Sprint executive that was expounding the corporate virtues of the Pre to businesses and he specifically mentioned push-to-talk. The greater context of the article was about the changes coming to allow complete Exchange use with full, centralized IT access and complex passwords protection, etc. I think I posted a question about it on another forum.

This isn't to say one would actually want to transfer their Pre to Boost. No 3G, no? You'd lose half the beauty of the Pre without 3G.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yeah, Boost runs on Nextel which is iDEN, rather than CDMA.

What I'd like to know, though, is why iDEN's push-to-talk cannot be replicated on other networks (CDMA, GSM, UMTS). It would seem to me the best way to do PTT would be over IP.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post

What I'd like to know, though, is why iDEN's push-to-talk cannot be replicated on other networks (CDMA, GSM, UMTS). It would seem to me the best way to do PTT would be over IP.
    The only thing stopping other networks getting PTT was patents. Those ran out a few years ago and a lot of PTT technologies are available on non iDEN networks. Verizon has PTT on their CDMA network and AT&T has it on GSM now. iDEN still is the fastest, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    Is it possible to use the palm pre on boost mobile? The reason i'm asking is that i read about sprint phone are going to be allowed to be used on boost plans. link
    Officially, Boost CDMA supports only a few phones. Unofficially there have been a ton of people who have gotten other ESNs activated on Boost CDMA just by telling the CSR on the phone that they were approved models. I have not heard about anyone attempting it with a Pre. It is possible that Sprint has an automatic restriction on Pre ESNs that kicks them out if they are attached to an unauthorized plan. But the best way to find out, is to try it!

More info: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1519337

Also: every single person who's reply mentions IDEN should spend less time hunting for iPhone fanboys and more time educating themselves about the current wireless scene before they attempt to answer another question.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Officially, Boost CDMA supports only a few phones. Unofficially there have been a ton of people who have gotten other ESNs activated on Boost CDMA just by telling the CSR on the phone that they were approved models. I have not heard about anyone attempting it with a Pre. It is possible that Sprint has an automatic restriction on Pre ESNs that kicks them out if they are attached to an unauthorized plan. But the best way to find out, is to try it!

More info: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - .:HERE'S PROOF! Sprint CDMA Phone Can Infact Be Activated On Boost Mobile Unlimited:.

Also: every single person who's reply mentions IDEN should spend less time hunting for iPhone fanboys and more time educating themselves about the current wireless scene before they attempt to answer another question.
    Hey, I tried explaining earlier, but people don't listen. Thank you for confirming my post.
  14. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    lol its physically impossible
    but if you do find the sim slot let us know!
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    did you even attempt to read the previous post?
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    Do you know how to read?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post

They do. Sprint runs it's own version of PTT over IP called QChat, and Verizon has the same. Problem is that iDEN is a much more efficient signal when dealing with PTT applications (although not when it come to anything data), and maintains a much higher tower/handset talk rate which allows for the instant connection. So while it IS being done, it's just not really worth it for most carriers when Nextel is THE name in PTT.
    This article ranks pretty high on Google, so I thought I'd step in here to clear it up.

Few key points:

* Boost offers both iDEN and CDMA service. Their CDMA offering is currently an under-the-table option, and the phones are no longer sold in stores.
    * The new Boost CDMA plan, rolled out after CDMA phone sales stopped matches the iDEN plan
    * You can activate a standard Sprint phone on the plan, though it is not supported. And, you must have a Boost CDMA phone to begin with.
    * Some have had success activating the Palm Pre. Boost may be monitoring data usage more closely though, so consider this experimental.

I think a Pre on Boost Mobile would be great, but again, be careful. Boost may be watching for "abuse" and want to kick you off quickly. At the least, know where you're porting to if they ask you to leave.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    So anyone has successfully activated their Palm Pre on Boost Mobile's CDMA network ? please let me know as i am very much interested in doing the same.

Kindly, also let me know how did you get it activated ( in what store if so, what did you tell the rep and all those things ) .....

By the way, I live in NYC area ....
    I would like to see how to do this one day. I have seen them flashed to cricket
    Palm TX and HP Touchpad Dual Boot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast