1.    #1  
    I was just on a call. Closed the call and the slider. Which on my pre is wobbly. I'm waiting (for weeks now) for a replacement. Anyway, I'm sitting in front of my laptop and after I closed the slider my kid came in my office and as I was chatting with her, I noticed light coming through the two halves of my phone. So, I looked closely and found that it was the light from my laptop beaming through my phone.

I have never noticed this gap before. So, I brought the side of the phone up to eye level and guess what? I could READ THE TEXT ON MY LAPTOP through the closed slider!

Please, somebody tell me that this can't be normal. If I hear one more time that the sliders are just fine and people with problem sliders are just not used to sliders, etc. I think I may scream.

Can any of you with the "perfect" or "rock solid" sliders that I am reading about SEE through your closed sliders?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I was just on a call. Closed the call and the slider. Which on my pre is wobbly. I'm waiting (for weeks now) for a replacement. Anyway, I'm sitting in front of my laptop and after I closed the slider my kid came in my office and as I was chatting with her, I noticed light coming through the two halves of my phone. So, I looked closely and found that it was the light from my laptop beaming through my phone.

I have never noticed this gap before. So, I brought the side of the phone up to eye level and guess what? I could READ THE TEXT ON MY LAPTOP through the closed slider!

Please, somebody tell me that this can't be normal. If I hear one more time that the sliders are just fine and people with problem sliders are just not used to sliders, etc. I think I may scream.

Can any of you with the "perfect" or "rock solid" sliders that I am reading about SEE through your closed sliders?
    take a picture bc i dont know wut ur talking about
    My slider is solid and I can see through it. Just a thin slit, but I can read text on my laptop too. The Pre works fine.
    There is only a small gap at the top and the keyboard area of my Pre, can't see anything in the center. Only small enough to see the light from the monitor but can't read the text.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    There is only a small gap at the top and the keyboard area of my Pre, can't see anything in the center. Only small enough to see the light from the monitor but can't read the text.
    I just checked it against my daughter's Rant. Can't see light through the Rant. I think I am hyper-freakin'-sensitive to anything that seems *off* on my slider at this point.

Okay, so if two of you can see some light through your sliders, I'm going to go with it being normal. I'm shocked that I can read text through the two halves though.

The thing that irritates me the most about the hardware issue on my device is that other than the terrible screen wobble, my pre works fine too. I wouldn't be exchanging it at all if the screen wasn't CONSTANTLY navigating from side to side and covering access to the power button.

Thanks for the responses
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Same here, only top and bottom, but the is normal b/c the keyboard is there so a gap is needed.

Hmm, weeks? Sure you didn't miss the phone call? The turn around is 3-5 days normally. I'm on my 3rd replacement and it *barely* wobbles. Like very very little compared to the sprint demo's, and my first 2. Its a refurbished model though, so double the quality comtrol inspections.
    I waited 6 days for my third replacement.
    Oh and also no light leakage around the screen
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I can see through the keyboard portion of mine. Noticed it a while back. Couldn't imagine it would be a big deal. Otherwise, the screen edges would have to wrap downward over the edges of the keyboard. This would probably through off the whole aesthetic of the phone.

With all due respect, I think you are being a bit hyper-sensitive. I can't blame you, really, but if I had any advice it would be to drop it on the floor once or twice. Add your own defects and you won't be so concerned about the manufacturer's .
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Oh, by the way, when you start to see light through the whole length of the phone... worry.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    Same here, only top and bottom, but the is normal b/c the keyboard is there so a gap is needed.

Hmm, weeks? Sure you didn't miss the phone call? The turn around is 3-5 days normally. I'm on my 3rd replacement and it *barely* wobbles. Like very very little compared to the sprint demo's, and my first 2. Its a refurbished model though, so double the quality comtrol inspections.
    I waited 6 days for my third replacement.
    Yeah, WEEKS. I took delivery of my phone on 6/23. I went back to my Sprint Corporate store four days later to find a replacement, but there were no pres in stock that didn't wobble worse than mine. So, I left with my *original* pre and went on the waitlist for a new one. They called, nearly two weeks later I went in, and the replacement pre still had a horrible wobble, plus screen issues. So, I left with my original pre. They suggested I stop back by in about a week. I did.

Spoke with the Assistant Manager who told me that while they have new pres in stock, I couldn't have one because they were reserved for the 100 + people on the waiting list. So, he has now ordered me a new one (this was 8 days ago). Tomorrow is my 30 days w/pre and the Assistant Manager has sent me several emails indicating that I will not be penalized for exchanging past my 30 days because of the defects. However, I am not sure I want to risk that. I may just return the phone tomorrow.

Which sucks horribly because I love the pre. It is awesome. So, yes. It has been weeks. I would love to know how all these people who claim to be on their 3rd,4th, or 5th pres got them. Sprint Corporate stores are stingy with theirs.
    I just checked mine for grins. I can see a small amount of light at the bottom, but no way would I be able to read a screen through it. Also, I've had no "oreo effect". Yours may be overly loose.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I just checked mine for grins. I can see a small amount of light at the bottom, but no way would I be able to read a screen through it. Also, I've had no "oreo effect". Yours may be overly loose.
    Yes. Mine is terribly loose. So loose that the managers at the Sprint corporate store where like "Whoa, that's REALLY messed up." It's not a little thing that I can live with. It is a big, intrusive problem that makes me crazy.
    Keep in mind that there is a mirror on the back of one of the halves - it will make the incoming light easier to see at greater angles.