• Solitaire Card Game

102 38.20%
  • Dot Game

81 30.34%
  • PREtracker - gps tracks your position during a run

37 13.86%
  • Tip Calculator *Redux*

62 23.22%
  • DevMode Launcher - no more codes to type!

109 40.82%
  • Soundboard - sound effects machine

33 12.36%
  • Checkbook

30 11.24%
  • Snake

38 14.23%
  • WxRad Animated Weather Radar

55 20.60%
  • TicTacToe

27 10.11%
  • Dilbert/Garfield Daily Comic

53 19.85%
  • Stopwatch/Timer

79 29.59%
  • BrickBreaker Breakout game

43 16.10%
  • Scientific Calculator

31 11.61%
  • Othello/Reversi game

33 12.36%
  • Checkers

40 14.98%
  • Chess

36 13.48%
  • Pong

31 11.61%
  • Draw Poker

26 9.74%
  • PrePackage: Package Tracking

86 32.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    I WANT to use homebrew apps, but ( sorry) a) not quite tech savvy to do it b) worried about screwing up my phone. I do read the posts on how to do it and I know that posters are trying to make it simple, I just am not sure. Sorry ( does this mean I have to give my phone back? )
    x2
    I WANT to use homebrew apps, but ( sorry) a) not quite tech savvy to do it b) worried about screwing up my phone. I do read the posts on how to do it and I know that posters are trying to make it simple, I just am not sure. Sorry ( does this mean I have to give my phone back? )
    i had the phone the weekend and it tried it it's not as hard as it looks. i think it's intimidating cause you have to sift through 800 forum posts to decipher how.

i think now it's basically the following:

1. install virtual box (on your computer)
    2. install web os sdk (on your computer)
    3. Install prebrew (and whatever components it asks you to install) (on your computer). This is a gui windows app installer (that's the one i used. there's more)
    4. on your palm open the keyboard and just type the “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” Palm Pre Konami Code = Dev Mode | Palm WebOS
    a dev mode icon will appear when you've done it right.

5. turn on the developer mode and wait for it to reset.

(here i ran the sdk on my computer. don't know if this is needed)
    6. Plug your Palm Pre into your computer and don't select anything when asked.
    (Note: the second time i did this i had to reenter the upupdowndown... code again. so fair warning. but i also may have turned off dev mode on accident somehow right before this.)

7. then download the .ipk file of the homebrew app you want drag and drop it onto the "prebrew" green arrow that appears on the windows desktop and it should install in a few seconds. that's it.

i would suggest the first thing you should install is cstucker's very cool dev mode launcher app. once you do that you don't ever have to reenter all that up up down stuff again. just click the button. the link is here and the .ipk file is at the bottom of the first post. (that's where many are) http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-1-7-19-a.html

Now that's off the top of my head so if someone more knowledgable wants to correct any error go for it. but i think that's right but i only did it once.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 07/31/2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Is anyone working on a Card Suite App for the Pre

Hearts
    Solitaire
    Spades..
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The virtual box etc are programs you download on the computer right? Sorry
    awesome
    cool
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Is anyone working on a Card Suite App for the Pre

Hearts
    Solitaire
    Spades..
    We have solitaire but I miss Hearts and Spades!

-Craig
    The homebrew developers here are Precentral are awesome. Without their apps, the pre would have gone back to the store in a heartbeat!
    yes it is. it's a free download. sorry i wasn't that clear. i edited the post to be a bit clearer and added the quite important step of actually plugging the pre into your computer. lol. Regardless, virtual box may ask you to install a few other things as part of the install too. As far as i know that seems normal and i accepted them. As far as i know virtual box has some things it's dependant on so if you don't have them installed already it will ask if it can install them for you. you have to say yes for it to work. It's not a big deal but you know how it is when on software starts asking to install stuff you didn't anticipate. you can get suspicious. it says all this somewere on the page you download from (i think) but who reads all that stuff?

here this is the direct link to what to the virtual box i installed for windows http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-49928-Win.exe

and here is the download page if you want it for something else: Downloads - VirtualBox

trust me i'm no pro and i did it.

i think i got prebrew here too PreBrew 1.5 Installer.exe - Windows Live

here's the broader page that has the prebrew link on it Tutorials webOS Installing An Ipk - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 07/31/2009 at 02:44 AM.
    one other thing. i listened to the last palmcast where they interviewed a guy a web os app developer. apparently it's almost impossible to "brick" a pre. they even have some app to restore web os. And as far as i know almost all of the basic homebrew apps do NOT require any "rooting" or altering of the actual linux code and thus is pretty save. all the ones i've installed so far have an easy
    uninstall button too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    We have solitaire but I miss Hearts and Spades!

-Craig
    I am trying to learn how to Dev. WebOs Apps but can't get the Hello Wordl App to install in the Emulator.

I would like to point out a couple more excellent underrated Apps

Unit- this conversion is a must have ( I used the treo's advanved fucntions all the time, I am shocked Palm did not include Advanced conversion features on the built in App)

PrePod- An excellent way to play/capture Netcasts

Filecoaster- nuff said to be able to install Homebrew apps on the fly

By the way thanks for this thread and All the great support here at this forum!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12