Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I don't think VZ will cripple it by killing the palm app store or turning of wifi. Not if it's available with all those features on AT&T and Sprint. VZ's network is the best, but will will only put up with so much....
    Verizon to its smartphones: thou shalt have no other app store before mine

Verizon Mandates Their Own App Stores on Future Devices

yea its gonna suck if it goes to verizon
    thankfully i am with sprint 6years and counting
    I predicted shortly after the launch that because the of the launch debacle that Sprint would end up relaxing both pricing and plan restrictions towards the end of the exclusivity period.
    There was a launch debacle? I was first in line at my store, the only debacle I saw was one guy leaving a tent that he thought would hold his place in line, and then a lot of people showing up at 7:30 thinking they were going to get a phone when there were people there 12 hours earlier.

I wouldn't call that a debacle, we all knew that supplies were limited.

And I can't even imagine what the data overage charges would look like if you weren't on an everything data plan, but my mobile bill dropped like $10 a month from AT&T.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I don't think VZ will cripple it by killing the palm app store or turning of wifi. Not if it's available with all those features on AT&T and Sprint. VZ's network is the best, but will will only put up with so much....
    You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Not to mention AT&Ts network blows. Worst quality calls and interference problems ever. When it was AT&T it sucked, Cingular sucked, they sucked combined and they suck combined udner the AT&T name again.

You also pay much more for AT&T for similar plans, and they openly admit to doing wiretaps for the government without a warrant

I would have had an iphone years ago if it wasnt for it being on the single worst carrier there is. So i waited for a good phone to be on a good network, and it was the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    My main reason for wanting to see exclusivity last is that I want to see Sprint do better. They are by far my preferred carrier and I would hate to see them do poorly and somehow force me onto a more expensive carrier. My loyalty is more to Sprint than Palm at this point. As long as Sprint gets good phones I am happy because hell if I'm paying an extra $20-40/month on ATT or VZW.
    Well said. This is exactly how I feel. I'm happy with the value Sprint offers me, and I want them to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    Verizon to its smartphones: thou shalt have no other app store before mine

Verizon Mandates Their Own App Stores on Future Devices

yea its gonna suck if it goes to verizon
    thankfully i am with sprint 6years and counting

Even If verizon does put their own app store on the phone, i think it could still benefit people who get a verizon pre. Verizon is the biggest carrier in North America and without a doubt would sell the pre 10 times better than sprint has. Verizon was even to sell a very mediocre blackberry storm very well. Also, a verizon app store would be available to the 70 million people who are on verizon's network making it a very appealing place for developers to sell their apps which means alot more quality applications for the pre. And I'm not sure but i think that applications on a verizon app store could easily be ported to the palm app catalog and vice versa. This means a win-win situation for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Not to mention AT&Ts network blows. Worst quality calls and interference problems ever. When it was AT&T it sucked, Cingular sucked, they sucked combined and they suck combined udner the AT&T name again.

You also pay much more for AT&T for similar plans, and they openly admit to doing wiretaps for the government without a warrant

I would have had an iphone years ago if it wasnt for it being on the single worst carrier there is. So i waited for a good phone to be on a good network, and it was the Pre.
    It's fine to disagree, but to argue I have no clue what I am talking about is complete nonsense.

I pay $20-25 MORE for my Pre on Sprint than it would cost me as another family line on AT&T. And AT&T's network in my area is both robust and fast. More robust than Sprint BTW, which is why I and many others have been given airaves by Sprint for FREE.

Wiretaps? What does that have to do with anything? So now we have to pick phones based on some ravings of lunatics? Please...

No one is making you use AT&T for anything. If they are that evil to you, fine, more power to you. But if others get a better deal for better service from them, why should you care?

The more carriers that sell the Pre, the better it is for all Pre owners. QED. It's just that simple.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    So its cheaper to add-a-line than to have a totally seperate account on another carrier?

Who woulda thunk it?

Compared plan for plan, sprint is basically always much cheaper than ATT.

You may also enjoy having computer speakers pop when you walk past them or sit your phone beside them, and also get the same popping noise in your phone call if your near them, but i dont.

CDMA is crystal clear and any deadspot i have for sprint in my area is a dead spot for every carrier (except US cellular, for some weird reason)
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Verizon + sprint = more apps more people will have the pre then the iphone better for pre owner. Less pre owner = death of webos
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    So its cheaper to add-a-line than to have a totally seperate account on another carrier?

Who woulda thunk it?

Compared plan for plan, sprint is basically always much cheaper than ATT.

You may also enjoy having computer speakers pop when you walk past them or sit your phone beside them, and also get the same popping noise in your phone call if your near them, but i dont.

CDMA is crystal clear and any deadspot i have for sprint in my area is a dead spot for every carrier (except US cellular, for some weird reason)
    It's good that you have that coverage and don't have any uniquely Sprint deadspots. But judging by the number of airaves shipped and used by members here, I would venture to say that that's not true for an awfully large number of people, including me.

It's true the GSM phones sometimes create buzz in speakphones. But it's also true that CDMA phones always stop Internet access when a voice call is going on. I liked the ability to be on the phone with a bluetooth headset, and then simultaeously be able to look a contact's number or access google maps to find a location.

Of course, if you are connected to wifi, then you can still access the Internet. But here AT&T also gives you access to thousands of hotspots for free, something not included with the simply everything plan.

I am not saying that AT&T is the best deal for everyone, but you completely trashed AT&T and that's just plain wrong. There is a reason why they have a ton more subs than Sprint.
    Lets see keep it a a few hundred thousand phones a few dozen app---thinking thinking---
    na the more the merry for all.
    "Well, I don't favor talkin' to vermin, but I'll talk to you just this once." --John Wayne
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    They would pull more people from AT&T and VZ if they didn't force people to btake the simply everything plans.

I predicted shortly after the launch that because the of the launch debacle that Sprint would end up relaxing both pricing and plan restrictions towards the end of the exclusivity period. I stand by that prediction. Once Sprint has to compete with AT&T VZ with the Pre, they will go back to using price as the primary differentiator. It won't be some overt change, but will be well known enough that it will help boost sales.

I will almost certainly go back to AT&T when they have the Pre at it will save me about $20-25 month (I have an AT&T family plan, and the wife has an iPhone) over Sprint. If the pricing gap were less, I might do something different, but either way, botched execution has cost Sprint a lot in terms of potential customer adds.

i don't think the pricing on sprint for most people is more then they would pay on att or verizon. family plans would probably be the exception. But beyond that on verizon at least, i know they charge plenty. I wouldn't flinch at all to pay sprints pricing if i was interested in moving from vz to sprint. In fact i had sprint for many years before verizon and it's painful for me to pay verizon bills after paying sprint bills all those years.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    not to drag too far off track- but what's the big deal with vz and their own app store really?

so if I get a pre on vz, I'd have to download the pre app store myself? Is that going to kill me- not me personally. Maybe they will have better terms for the developers then palm's store and so more authors will want to put things on verizon's store then the pre store?

Did multiple app stores make the Palm OS suck?

We don't have a clue what it all means until we find out all the details. It could very well SUCK but it could also be alright. And it also might be a bit more convenient to just download something straight to my phone and have it bill to my phone number. Time will tell.

ps- what's the silliness about VZ not allowing wifi on their phones? the last 2 WM phones I had with VZ both had wifi. Not that I ever use it besides to fiddle aronud and see it works- since i get evdo everywhere and it's too much hassle to switch on and off (I dont like to leave it on killing my battery all day)- but it's there.
    Last edited by efudd; 07/24/2009 at 12:37 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234